Notices

can you add fuel by using a S-AFC

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you add fuel by using a S-AFC

I always hear of people leaning out the fuel with 440's and a AFC.

but one guy told me to keep my 12:1 FMU and 290 prelude injectors,255 intank and get a s-afc and richen the fuel by about 17%

is this possible?

thanks
Tyler
Old 09-18-2002, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can you add fuel by using a S-AFC (ATgrills.com)

you should always run an inline pump with that 12:1 fmu. anyhow w/ 12:1 fmu 290 cc injectors and dumping an extra 17% fuel would run really rich.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can you add fuel by using a S-AFC (CDooMe2)

Besides, when you start adding fuel with an AFC on a boosted Honda, once you get to about +10-12%, you'll throw a MAP sensor code, since you're adding MAP voltage. Even with a check valve on the MAP, under boost it'll be seeing atmospheric + 10-12% more voltage, which is enough for it to freak out. So, if you ran +17% fuel enrichment, it would throw a code when you boost.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:17 PM

READ THIS POST 5 TIMES AND RECORD YOURSELF READING IT OUT LOUD. PLAY WHILE YOU SLEEP FOR THE NEXT WEEK.
You will need an inline pump with that much pressure. The AFC can't add fuel if the pump isn't flowing it. That pump you have is good for over 400whp, but not at high pressure. Also even if you do get an inline pump you run the risk of locking your injectors or rupturing a fuel line because of the high pressure from 12psi.
You already have the AFC, so why not pick up some DSM 450cc injectors and use the hack. Way better than the FMU setup. Or get a Hondata 2b for $400 american and sell the AFC.
I don't care what the guy told you. He may have run that setup, but he was lucky. I swear 50% of blown Honda turbo motors are because of retarded setups like that.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can you add fuel by using a S-AFC (Dutchie)

READ THIS POST 5 TIMES AND RECORD YOURSELF READING IT OUT LOUD. PLAY WHILE YOU SLEEP FOR THE NEXT WEEK.
You will need an inline pump with that much pressure. The AFC can't add fuel if the pump isn't flowing it. That pump you have is good for over 400whp, but not at high pressure. Also even if you do get an inline pump you run the risk of locking your injectors or rupturing a fuel line because of the high pressure from 12psi.
You already have the AFC, so why not pick up some DSM 450cc injectors and use the hack. Way better than the FMU setup. Or get a Hondata 2b for $400 american and sell the AFC.
I don't care what the guy told you. He may have run that setup, but he was lucky. I swear 50% of blown Honda turbo motors are because of retarded setups like that.

Old 09-18-2002, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well put.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:36 AM

Default Re: can you add fuel by using a S-AFC (KAMiN)

well thanks for the info! now does anyone know where I can get the hondata sytem for 400$???
I am currently running a p75 computer! (94-95 teg) od1.. so do I keep it?

thanks
Tyler
Old 09-19-2002, 04:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like everyone else, i have my own opinions on what the fuel setup should look like and how well it will run. I'm not just talking out of my *** either, i have inline pro backing me on this and they have used this setup in many of their cars, it's actually the setup they suggested i use. Just some rc 440's, vortech FMU 12:1 disk, BBK 255lph Fuel pump and the safc. I was using that on my sohc pushing 8psi daily and will use it on my new setup pushing 14psi daily and 24+psi at the track. Do what you want, i will be going to a haltech later on when i want to start pushing in the 500hp level though. I do realize the limits of the fmu setup, for for moderate boost, it'll do the trick.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:41 AM

www.hondasaver.com
There is a groupbuy on right now on this board. Do a search on Hondata and groupbuy in this forum. Get a hold of Kyle. 2K_TEG is his username.

Autoexturbo- Are you sure you are using a 12:1 FMU? I know some guys use a 4 or 5:1 with 440cc, but why a 12:1? Expecially at low boost (8 psi). That doesn't make sense to me. Running insane fuel pressures and having the duty cycle of your injectors at 40% to compensate for too much fuel. That setup makes no sense.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:46 AM

yep, i'm 100% positive it was the 12:1 disk. For some reason the car loved to run rich. At idle we took the vafc all the way down to -5 on the safc and the car wouldn't stall out. For a sohc with the greddy kit and low boost, she liked running rich. If we would set the safc at -30, she would detonate. The lowest i could go was -25 and that's rich on engines that need more fuel that i did. The reason for the bigger injectors was because we were gonna get a bigger turbo and run alot more boost. Now i've switched the whole setup(motor and turbo), so the bigger injectors will do the trick now. Haltec is the way i'm going soon though.

[Modified by autoEXturbo, 11:47 AM 9/19/2002]
Old 09-19-2002, 08:05 AM

Default Re: can you add fuel by using a S-AFC (autoEXturbo)

mmmm, Haltech.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:15 AM

i thought that would get your attention. I can still make around 4-450 at the wheels with this setup. Then i'll go for more power, when i get the money.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:21 AM

autoEXturbo is right. 440cc injectors, FMU,Fuel Pumo and SAFC do the trick just fine.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's quite a setup. I guess whatever works, but I wouldn't use it.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:23 AM

Default Re: can you add fuel by using a S-AFC (Elite Hatch)

thanks elite, makes me feel more confident in my setup. Hey your with nu image aren't you.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:41 AM

Hey autoEXturbo, sound like you where using the exact same set up as the guy who I got my kit from! but he was using prelude 290cc injectors and not leaning out but rather richining under boost!

Will this work too?

Everyone has a different story and everyone keeps saying this wont work!!!

thanks
Tyler
Old 09-19-2002, 08:47 AM

From my own personal experience, i think the setup works fine. I never had a problem. The only reason i had to lean out so much was because 440 is a big *** injector. I think you will be fine. Depending on how much boost you plan on running i would recommend at least a 310cc injector. Lean it out a little, put it on a dyno if you have one available. If not use the afc and work from there. Just remember, it's better to run a little rich than a little lean.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought you didn't need an FMU with the AFC-hack and 450's? Hmm....
Old 09-19-2002, 08:55 AM

Default Re: can you add fuel by using a S-AFC (Prelude_RCR)

this isn't the afc hack if your talking about the setup i'm using. You use the rc 440's, vortech fmu, safc, and missing link. I don't trust the hack, out of three people i know, only one has their car running at all times and it's fuel related problems caused by the hack.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:57 AM

Default Re: can you add fuel by using a S-AFC (Prelude_RCR)

Yah I am from Nu Image EXTurbo, whats up man.

I would def. go with some RC Injectors not the prelude ones though if I were y

I thought you didn't need an FMU with the AFC-hack and 450's? Hmm....
This is not an AFC hack, its using an AFC to control fuel its a little different, I hear. I dont know much about the hack.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:02 AM

Default Re: can you add fuel by using a S-AFC (Elite Hatch)

i thought you were from nu image, i saw the big *** argument going on in that other post. Hey i was wondering who the guy is that runs around in that 92-95 red civic coupe turbo, i think he's black. I saw him awhile back on the prince william parkway with a white ls turbo and a yellow lancer on n2o. I wanted to run him and he didn't give me the time of day, later i found out it was ***** out fast, so i'm glad he didn't. I was just trying to meet up and race him when my new setup is complete. I saw him down at the burger king on 28 last weekend. If you roll down there at all, look out for me, 00 red coupe turbo. Or by any chance, are you this guy.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:22 AM

I wanna run 8psi street and 10-11 track!

so basically i just now have to get a afc and hit the dyno? for now can I just run with the 290 injectors and richen then on the afc rather then lean them out?

thank you soo much , you have been the most helpful so far!

Tyler
Old 09-19-2002, 09:43 AM

Ok, right now you have the fmu 12:1. I suggest just go out and buy the afc and 440's if you have the money to do so. If not, your 290's will do, but drop the boost to at least 7psi. And whatever you do, don't turn the boost up any more. I think at 8psi, the 290's are being pushed to their limits so bigger injectors is needed, but you will need the afc at the same time to lean the injectors out so you are not just running extremely rich.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:24 AM

autoEX be the man today helping out . I just have to add feedback on the hack tho, I have it and for weeks now my car has been running 100x better then with afc + fmu + inline setup, no comparison. I was somehow running a little lean up top with FMU after a while, stock injectors will only last so long at 132psi of pressure......

Anyway I have my timing knocked down to 12deg cause I know it spikes timing alot and it runs hella better.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:03 AM

Default Re: can you add fuel by using a S-AFC (shadowdawn)

thanks shadow, by the way hows the automatic holding up. I didn't want to scare him about using the hack, i think it's a good idea. I just wanted to let him know about people that have had problems. I hope this helped you out, now you have someone who has had good experiences with the fmu setup and shadow which likes the hack. So the hack is now another option for you.

Quick Reply: can you add fuel by using a S-AFC