Notices

Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!!

I have my stock d16z in a 95 coupe ex.......i have been driving my friends tricked out Eclipse DST....and lets just say that i have to go turbo now, tha sound of hearing tha turbo spool is a pleaser...and i havent even heard a wastegate yet. Ok back on focus....but i want too know can i get low 12 timeslips with a sohc, and if so what do i need to do.......or should i go with ls or ls/vtec and boost. What im really looking at is which one will get me there with less money reliablly. Already im thinking of hondata, proper fuel system and tunning , and if i go sohc rods and pistons....

I figure that if i do tha ls, tha motor and tha price for a swap might be tha turbo already on my sohc, or tha money i could use to build and sleeve tha sohc....Somebody give me hope!!!
Old 08-29-2002, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!! (Pworld)

wheres all the support

why not swap a b series? then boost

Rob
Old 08-29-2002, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!! (rjardy)

Trust me i am considering goin ls/vtec or just with a b18b. But thats more money and if i can build a killer sohc for tha same price or less, i would go for it becuase i would like to go against tha norm and fool people. I rather have a fully built sohc that i can push tha limits on than a dohc that i have to baby because i cant up the boost and i spent all my money on the swap. But dont get me wrong!! if i have to swap im thinking of ls or ls/vtec its rather cheaper and better for boost i have heard. But still im tryin to save my sohc
Old 08-29-2002, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!! (Pworld)

well are you looking to do the full rebuild? internals rods pistons and everything?
there are some folks out there that are in the 12's with there SOHC, such as my freind ben's brother. hes in the 12's with his car. take a look at homemadeturbo.com they seem to be allabout the SOHC turbo and at an affordable cost. They have a nice orange hatch back that i really like, ls rods and the works. Check it out. Let us know what you want to do. Allso there are some more folks on here with SOHC motors that love them such as MPLEX200<----i think thats his name sorry if its not, he will chim in here pretty soon im sure.

Rob
Old 08-29-2002, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!! (rjardy)

yea if i save the money on a swap and stick with sohc im gonna go all out. if im gonna prove a point u gotta do it well......im thinking pistons , rods, maybe sleeving, bigger turbo , hondata or aem ems, i dont wanna take anyshort cuts and build i strong reliable turbocharged car that performs and can run in tha 12's and not break on me. i will check that site out, i guess i really need to know which route will get me over 300 whp tha cheapest. thats including the price of motors and swap. i think 300 or more whp whould help me hang with tha big v8's like camaro ss, cobras, Gn's!!

P
Old 08-29-2002, 03:54 PM

I have some NEW d16 9:1 .020 SRP pistons with pins and locks, brand new for sale $200+ shipping
Old 08-29-2002, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!! (Slo_Akord)

The B18B has more capability than the d16 for obvious reasons, displacement and DOHC. But when it comes down to money Vs power its cheaper for the power out come to stick with what you got and build it to hold 20psi+ and you will get more props for stickin with the stock "crapy" SOHC and gettin more power than most DOHC. But if you were to get a B18B and build it, that would in the end be more powerful but more costly. Its really 100% up to you, work with your wallet to see what you can make of it.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!! (RicerRacing69)

well whats tha maximum horsepower thats really streetable?? i used to want like 500 or something, but i dont think i would ever use that on tha street or highway.....im thinking tha mid 300's can get me hanging wit SS's, corvettes, cobras, elcipse GST's and some other turbo cars. So could i build a mid 300 sohc that can be daily driven?? i have seen crv shortblocks go for 600-900 around here same for ls shortblocks(i think thats tha block and head right?) and tha total swap should cost me about 1500-1900, so im thinking if i keep tha SOHC i have at least a $1500 head start. so what do u guys think bout those figures
Old 08-29-2002, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For 12s you can do it on stock internals, slicks, weight reduction and what 250whp get a standalone and your set. To the person speaking about street driving anything over 200 whp is insane in a light weight honda.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well whats tha maximum horsepower thats really streetable?? i used to want like 500 or something, but i dont think i would ever use that on tha street or highway.....im thinking tha mid 300's can get me hanging wit SS's, corvettes, cobras, elcipse GST's and some other turbo cars. So could i build a mid 300 sohc that can be daily driven?? i have seen crv shortblocks go for 600-900 around here same for ls shortblocks(i think thats tha block and head right?) and tha total swap should cost me about 1500-1900, so im thinking if i keep tha SOHC i have at least a $1500 head start. so what do u guys think bout those figures
350WHP will do more than allow you to hang with an SS, vette, cobra, and GST, they will have to try to hang with you, but i wish them luck, hah.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!! (turbozxi)

For 12s you can do it on stock internals, slicks, weight reduction and what 250whp get a standalone and your set. To the person speaking about street driving anything over 200 whp is insane in a light weight honda.
My friend has a b20/vtec turbo which puts out around 350hp at its low boost 91 octane setting. Its amusing on the street but i think it could still use some more power. You can never have enough power.

And about the sohc...they are good motors..pretty strong...but dont detinate..they break pretty quick. If you thinking about 12s on a stock motor..its possible...but you are asking for problems. Your better off with a b16a or b18 swap then boost that.

I had a friend that ran a 12.6 on a all motor b20/vtec on slicks...in a 97 civic HX. Thats reallly an awesome time. Just imagine that motor in a hatchback!

liam
Old 08-30-2002, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!! (liam821)

My friend has a b20/vtec turbo which puts out around 350hp at its low boost 91 octane setting. Its amusing on the street but i think it could still use some more power. You can never have enough power.

Have you driven it?? My car makes 196 whp and man you give it bit of gas on the street your soon wishing you had a parachute on the back! You have to have excellent brakes then at least, I still say 200whp on the street is fast enough!
Old 08-30-2002, 06:17 AM

i don't want to discourage you man, i loved my sohcT, but i had to realize the all out power of a dohc. Good luck in you search for those times.
I'm gonna leave the first set off remarks up here to show you that i got discouraged. After reading that you want to hang with v8's and stuff. With the automatic that I had pushing 8psi on the greddy kit was enough to start to pull away. You will have no problem pulling on them at all. I have a stock motor, just the turbo, no internals and she would pull. The only reason i'm leaving the sohc behind is because i blew her up. You'll do good, i promise, it's a great motor. I'm thinking about building another car and using the d16 to power it. Good luck man.

[Modified by autoEXturbo, 10:34 AM 8/30/2002]
Old 08-30-2002, 07:38 AM

someone around my place ran a high 12 with a stock SOHC. Just a Drag kit and some slicks...Don't have any idea what's under the hood....Just that its a stock motor with some tuning..He doesn't even have a stand alone....So theres so hope
Old 08-30-2002, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!! (BoostingGSR)

if you really wanna prove a point and u have the means of doing it, but just dont have the money to swap and then turb, then just stick with watever u have now and build that up. i have a sohc turb and i love it. building it will be fun and cheap and i'm sure you'll enjoy it. i cant guarantee you wont get bored if you're boost crazy, but hey, if you're really serious about it you can pretty much build a killer ride with any engine you have. if you're gonna go all out and you just wanna beat everyone and money isnt an issue, then yea, a b-series turbo mite satisfy you more. good luck
Old 08-30-2002, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!! (Pengo)

Our D16 non-vtec is making around 230 whp at 5500 ft altitude with a 16G, SFP manifold, etc......totally stock motor, and just a VAFC for the fuel......
For the price of a swap, you're 3/4 of the way to a turbo kit.....you're gonna need a clutch though, that's for sure!!
Brian
Old 08-30-2002, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!! (Firedrake)

Thanks for all tha input and support i think im leaning towards keeping tha sohc for now and boosting but i have like over 100k miles......so should i buy another sohc vtech block, or should i just buy tha b20 or ls.........now say i do boost with a SOHC , is it easy to goto a DOHC in tha future and not have to change the whole turbo set-up??

Also if im peacing together my own kit whats tha biggest turbo i can put on a built SOHC too yield me to the mid 3oo whp range on a built block no more than 20psi boost for racing??

And im looking at the greddy kit because of the 50 state legal and stealth, but it wont be enough. can i trick out tha greddy kit by putting a 16gkiller, 18g or 20g on there like tha dsm guys and have a sleeper greddy kit?? what can u do too a greddy to get way more power out of it??

thanks guys
Old 08-30-2002, 01:08 PM
New User

I'm almost done building up my D16Y8 turbo myself... GReddy's Civic EX turbo kit (Mitsu TD04H-15G) maxes out at 15psi, according to Greddy. Buying a block and building that should be cheap--the block can be found for around $300 or so.

I'm hoping to get around 250whp from my turbo setup (aforementioned turbo, plus Greddy's Type 24 IC, and AEM PEMS), hopefully under 15psi. A buddy and I rebuilt a motor in shop class--9:1SRPs w/ Eagle rods, and a blockguard. The motor's running fine now, on the stock ECU... I'm just waiting for a couple of electronic sensors/wire harnesses to get everything going!
Old 08-30-2002, 01:13 PM
New User

Default Re: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!! (PyroVTEC)

anyone that would convince you to use a sohc motor instead of a dohc motor is NOT your friend. get with the times man. its not 1997.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!! (jinxproof99)

maybe he just doesnt have money to blow.
there is life other than dumping loads of loot into a setup....or maybe he just doesnt have rich parents who buys a car for them and insures it and they just put parts on it......not referring to anyone in particular....but i see too much of that **** on here....like "just buy it or just this that".....im just venting and sick of cars right now.......
Old 08-30-2002, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't even see that you're black so I don't think of the things in your list, but I do think that you might need a spelling and grammar course lol.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

If you turbo now and decide to swap down the road, it's very simple to get your turbo going with a B series.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!! (mplex2000)

first its just a joke, if im jokin bout it then its not that serious...................second that has nothing to do wit tha info im tryin to get .... thank u

And i would love to go dohc, but its sooo common , and i really dont have money to dump down all at once, if that was the case i dont think i would have a civic more like a beamer.

but thanks for tha input
Old 08-30-2002, 03:28 PM
New User

first its just a joke, if im jokin bout it then its not that serious...................And i would love to go dohc, but its sooo common ...........

what the does common have anything to do with it. go ahead and use your sohc. too bad its "common" for them to be slow as ****. if you don't have the money, i completely understand. but don't use your sohc to be "different", thats just retarded. any dohc is better than a sohc. period.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!! (jinxproof99)

Well if you are talking about doing it right and all that blah blah then there should be no question to swap to a B18B and leave it, Don't put vtec on it, that way you will save money by not having to buy the parts to do that conversion, and then turbo it and if money permits build it.

If you run out of money after the swap and turbo then run like 9 lbs of boost and save until you have enough to build it and then you can run like 18 lbs and make those pesky domestics look like a pinto.

I scrapped my SOHC for the B18B in a heartbeat. Hands down SOHC don't make the power the DOHC are capable of.

Do it right the FIRST time, b/c you will always want more power and thats where the DOHC will help you out, the SOHC will laugh...
Old 08-30-2002, 05:08 PM

i heare you. Just because im keeping and open mind with my car and im not so quick to jump on tha bandwagon doesne mean my logic is retarded. different strokes for different folks. Im weighing the options.....hell if i get a good deal on a SOHC im not a dummy, i will take it even if its not in the plans and fit it in the plans.............But if that doesnt happen im just seeing the potential i have if i dont want to spend that extra money swapping in the DOHC. Excuse me for thinking things out!!

Quick Reply: Can Somebody Please convince me too keep my SOHC and boost it!!!