Notices

Can I trust RPM NYC to tune my car???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I trust RPM NYC to tune my car???

I have read many different opinions on engine break in. The one that seems to be the most accepted is to just run it briefly and dyno tune it immediately. The tuner I'm speaking of in the title said to run the car for 1000 miles?? "RPM" said they will set a program up for my on Hondata to run the car at a safe level until the engine is broke in. I don't know where else to go and I don't know if they are the best choice for me. I live in the NY area. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks H/T!!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can I trust RPM NYC to tune my car??? (otto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by otto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have read many different opinions on engine break in. The one that seems to be the most accepted is to just run it briefly and dyno tune it immediately. The tuner I'm speaking of in the title said to run the car for 1000 miles?? "RPM" said they will set a program up for my on Hondata to run the car at a safe level until the engine is broke in. I don't know where else to go and I don't know if they are the best choice for me. I live in the NY area. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks H/T!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

It seems like some people have different ways to break in new engines..
My friend started it up..ran it at 2500rpm for 20 minutes for the cams..Then he drove it around the block a couple times to seat the rings..Then he towed it to get tuned...And drove it back home..
Old 02-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tow your car to Jeff Evans, and break it in on his dyno. I am alot closer to RPM NYC, yet I took the ride to Jeff for a reason. . . .
Old 02-07-2005, 11:46 AM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by otto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have read many different opinions on engine break in. The one that seems to be the most accepted is to just run it briefly and dyno tune it immediately. The tuner I'm speaking of in the title said to run the car for 1000 miles?? "RPM" said they will set a program up for my on Hondata to run the car at a safe level until the engine is broke in. I don't know where else to go and I don't know if they are the best choice for me. I live in the NY area. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks H/T!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

basemap and safe don't go together IMO..

I personally would go to boosted hybrid over RPMNYC

Theres a dynapak dyno opening in Burnt hills early May alsoo...
Old 02-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"RPM" said they will set a program up for my on Hondata to run the car at a safe level until the engine is broke in.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where did he state it was going to be a base MAP?

RPM NYC are excellent tuners, one of the best in NYC....ask me how i know!
Just go onto http://www.rpmnyc.com and see their work, thats speaks for itself...!
Old 02-07-2005, 12:09 PM

rpm nyc can definitely tune your car right but are a little pricey but i went to a place in yonkers api tuning and got my old turbo hatchback tuned there cool guys and dont mind spending extra time on your car im pretty sure they will do it for a flat rate also

http://www.apituning.com/
Old 02-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I trust RPM NYC to tune my car??? (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tow your car to Jeff Evans, and break it in on his dyno. I am alot closer to RPM NYC, yet I took the ride to Jeff for a reason. . . .</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree full heartedly. I was gonna have RPM tune my car, but they gave me alot of info i didnt agree with , telling me to spend more money at their shop on my setup and such, Outrageous prices and they couldnt even get a basemap right for me to start the car.
Jeff always took care of me no matter how long it took. I will always be eternally grateful to him and his work
Old 02-07-2005, 12:20 PM

I give Colin at RPM NYC a thumbs up..
Old 02-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weird part is that theres only 3 Hondata dealers in NY which are "authorized" tuners, wouldnt feel too comfortable going elsewhere
Old 02-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Andres-eh2)

just becuase they are authorized doesnt mean they are good tuners or worth the money.
Anyone can get a dealer acct with Hondata if they wanted to.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (itr206)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just becuase they are authorized doesnt mean they are good tuners or worth the money.
Anyone can get a dealer acct with Hondata if they wanted to. </TD></TR></TABLE>

True, when we went to that Hondata seminar there were supposed "tuners" there that were authorized dealers. I was surprised at how much they didnt know I am an amature tuner and I knew more.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tow your car to Jeff Evans, and break it in on his dyno. I am alot closer to RPM NYC, yet I took the ride to Jeff for a reason. . . .</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with this. Boosted sent me a hondata basemap about 2 years ago when the shop i bought my hondata couldnt even get the car to run right. Nice guy!
Old 02-07-2005, 12:33 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Can I trust RPM NYC to tune my car??? (Andres-eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Andres-eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where did he state it was going to be a base MAP?

RPM NYC are excellent tuners, one of the best in NYC....ask me how i know!
Just go onto http://www.rpmnyc.com and see their work, thats speaks for itself...!</TD></TR></TABLE>

How else would they set something up for the car ?

I never said they weren't good tuners, ive seen nice cars come from them...I just think that theres better and cheaper options available..just my opinion.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:36 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Can I trust RPM NYC to tune my car??? (itr206)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree full heartedly. I was gonna have RPM tune my car, but they gave me alot of info i didnt agree with , telling me to spend more money at their shop on my setup and such, Outrageous prices and they couldnt even get a basemap right for me to start the car.
Jeff always took care of me no matter how long it took. I will always be eternally grateful to him and his work </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, they were gonna tune my car over 2 years ago and said i needed a FPR, and all this misc ****..I brough the car to Jeff instead. We spent all weekend misc issues/problems and his tune made 315whp on a stock b16. His price and services were well worth the drive.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I trust RPM NYC to tune my car??? (Mpir3)

you get alot for what you pay for with Jeff.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I trust RPM NYC to tune my car??? (itr206)

i have always been an avid reader of honda-tech but never found a reason to post 'til today. i have known RpmNyc for about 8 years now and they have always been the number one tuners out here. The type of race cars they build speak for them self.As far as being at the hondata seminar, they have never been to one they have had private meets with Doug at hondata - when it first came out (years and years ago). Their extended knowledge of tuning came from accel DFI, motec , AEM ,APEX power afc. HonData is probably the most rudimentary system (as compared to the list of others i just mentioned) they tune. I've witness numerous tuning sessions in which they were tuning high powered racecars, and have witness many sessions of street cars being tuned as well. i could honestly tell you that you will be happy with their work.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I trust RPM NYC to tune my car??? (ESPRINT)

thing is though. No one will admit to them tuning their car? whats up with that? Ive asked dozens of times and it seems like no one here has been tuned by them .
They just cost too much for having to go to someone elses dyno, in the middle of queens NY to get tuned.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: (FRANK_WHITE)

Frank, i agree i went to API to tune my old setup, and they seem like they were pretty good.. this was with my old set up, but they were great guys, and took the time to tune my car, and since the car was having probs, they only charged me half, and told me to come back and pay the rest and theyll finish..

they moved from yonkers to BX, and i dont know when theyre opening back up though...
Old 02-07-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: (Boosted 01 SH)

This subject is like comparing a e-bay header and a hy-tech header, you get what you pay for. Mostly everyone here is plugging there own shop so all I could tell you is pay them a visit, speak to anyone of them and then come back to us and tell us if they dont know their ****. RPMNYC are the best tuners I have ever meet.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SlepT ej6)

NRG Tech, Bayshore Long Island

Ask for miller 631 243 6674
Old 02-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is exactly what I did and I live in Connecticut! NYC would have been way closer for me to tow my car but Jeff is the man

Old 02-07-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: (FredoSP)

Chan from RPM is a very good tuner,I don't know of the rest of the guys you all mentioned so i won't comment on them.
HE has tuned numerous times at my shop and i had the chance and priveledge to watch him at work.He has been tuning Hondata since the begining,i also am a hondata dealer,but try and call them to get tech help its like trying to milk a bull.
when i did get through i was directed to Chan at Rpm,he was helpful in giving some pointers to my tuner in how to work all that crap.

RPM NYC
Old 02-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Can I trust RPM NYC to tune my car??? (Mpir3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I personally would go to boosted hybrid over RPMNYC

Theres a dynapak dyno opening in Burnt hills early May alsoo...</TD></TR></TABLE>

where can i find out more info on this dyno?

i can not speak from personal experience, but if i were to have anyone tune my car, it would be jeff evans. i dont think i have ever heard anything close to negative regarding him
Old 02-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I trust RPM NYC to tune my car??? (blackeg)

Honestly. Do what any good consumer would do. Search around some old posts and dig up info on all the them. Talk to them. get a feel for them and what they offer and can do in house and pricing. And go from there.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I trust RPM NYC to tune my car??? (blackeg)

Honestly. Do what any good consumer would do. Search around some old posts and dig up info on all the them. Talk to them. get a feel for them and what they offer and can do in house and pricing. And go from there.

Friendly service at a good price wins me over. I dont like people to scrutinize my set up or just talk too much. Ive seen that a few places and decided not to go there.

Quick Reply: Can I trust RPM NYC to tune my car???