Notices

Can I do this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I do this?

My car is almost built it will have a darten sleeved block, oliver rods, je pistons 9:1 turbo cr, and a little bit of head work done. Of course like everyone else I would like to get as much boost out of my car that I can get. Before the rebuild, I ran 10psi daily on 310s and a vafc tuned at the dyno.

Am I able to go with a bigger injectors than the 310s. Like 440s even possibly 550s with just a vafc or do I have to go with a standalone. I dont have the money to get a standalone yet so I want to do as much with the afc as posible. I am thinking of getting a new fuel pressure reg. Which ones is good and not junk? Right now all I have for more pressure is the fmu that came with the DRAG kit and the inline fuel pump.

I guess the main question is can i run 440 or 550s injectors with just a vafc?
(rc eng injectors)

[Modified by Big Josh, 6:07 PM 4/4/2003]
Old 04-04-2003, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Can I do this? (Big Josh)

You can run DSM 440 cc injectors with the AFC Hack and a resistor box from a 90-93 Integra . Sonny had a diagram on how to install the resistor box.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Can I do this? (TurbochargedSER)

Apparently it has been recommended that u don't use DSM injectors with a honda.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=456616

Read through this post, what I gathered is the resistance is slightly different, just enough to cause idling problems with the car, even with a resistor box.

As an AVID 450CC DSM injector user, I had soooo many problems with them.
I had such a hard time starting the car i thought it wasd the SMC when I first bought it. The car runs smooth once it works, otherwise it was a killer to start.

I would like to know if someone knows the difference between injector placement of a DSM versus Hondas. Maybe like someone said previously, the heat on the injectors are affecting their behaviour on how they work.

I've check resistances on my injectors and they read 2.5 ohms a piece. RC injectors read 16 ohms. My Resistor box read 8 OHMS.

Tuning may also be the key, but I've also found that lengthy idle cool down periods affect the DSM behaviour also. I could never start my car up after a 1 minute or greater idle. I would have to drive the car slowly when I got close to my desitnation to cool it down, then idle for less than 39 seconds. My car would start up properly wth the DSM injectors all the time after that trick.

Everyone I know that uses the 450cc injectors have had nothing but problems with hard starting. They'd go back to the RC and have had flawless startups.

I believe hondata claim with the 450cc injectors is to protect their trademark.

What would you do if you installed a hondata for the first time with the DSM injectors and your car didn't start? You'd blame the Hondata right up, just like how I blamed the SMC without a second thought.

After thinking about my situation and two ECU's later, i realized that the DSM injectors may actually be the culprit. When my friends changed their Injectors and had success, i finally decided that hte injectors were the problem.

however for the past two months i have had success with the injectors only because I don't let the car idle for very long.

I don't have the proper tools to measure manifold heat at certain points in time nor do I have a DSM to compare these measurements with.

Remember that the people who are having problems will have the loudest voice and I believe that hondata is just trying to protect themselves from people buying DSM injectors and having problems.
I have been telling people for weeks that I no longer recommend DSM injectors.
I've had two sets, cleaned, balanced, from Mike Palm that just didnt work. I'm positive thats no fault of his however. I've had 3 other sets, also cleaned and balanced, but by RC, that gave me headaches. These headaches range from hard starting when hot, inconsistant high rpm fueling, and idling properties that can only be described as "funky".

In all cases, swapping these injectors with RC's fixed the problem. The only difference I found between them is the impedance levels. RC's are around 2.3 ohms, while the dsm's varied from 2.5 to 3.2 ohms of resistance.

Since I'm no electrical or mechanical engineer, I can't give you any highly technical responses as to why they don't work. But check out this reasoning, kinda laughed at it: Most of us don't regard Mitsubishi cars as reliable, so why would we use their parts and expect otherwise?

Food for thought.

[Modified by AresB16A2Turbo, 4:54 PM 4/4/2003]

[Modified by AresB16A2Turbo, 4:54 PM 4/4/2003]