can i change cams with no tune??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i change cams with no tune??

i have a fully built b18c1 and b16 head.. with 84mm sleeves. pistons, rods, sc61 turbo,aem ems [U]mazworx cams[U]aem cam gears..and all the mods to make everything go good together..

i went to slowmotion in columbus ohio for a retune.. and the tune came out really crappy where i gained and lost power alot throughout the power bank..they said mazworx cams have to much valve overlap and are a shitty turbo cam they told me to buy stock gsr cams..so i did and now im wondering if i can swap my cams out for gsr ones and keep driving it..or do i need to do the swap and go back in for a retune right away?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can i change cams with no tune??

What i have experienced, changing cam or cam advance it will need serious tuning with fuel map.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yep, when i changed out my gsr cams to type-r cams i did 0 tuning. went to the dyno a few days later and guess what happened, nothing. just a very minor power change from 7500-8000.

deff tune after you swap.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the mazworx cams typically have good power gains, what exhaust manifold do you have?

if your changing anything on your car that is going to make the engine make more power, less power, or change the power band at all..... you need a retune.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think he was referring to the safety/reliability portion. he knows he needs a re-tune, but would it be absolutely necessary right away?

I'd say it'd be okay to drive a couple miles to get the tune but don't make a habit of it. i've seen a SC61 H23VTEC setup (entirely swapped) run by a greddy e-manage tuned for h22 with a TD06 and it ran fine. but found a couple of bolts overtorqued that penetrated a coolant jacket so now the motor's out again

oh and of course keep your eye on the gauges the entire time.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a log manifold...i thoght mazworx cams would be awesome for my app..thats why i bought them..then after i got them in and installed the tuning shop says..oh these are shitty..swap to the stock gsr cams again...im like wtf..they say their is to much valve overlap in these cams..

and it is very hard to find any detials on mazworx cams at all...so im kinda at a standstill point...maybe that tuner just didnt no much about mazworx cams so he told me to go the other way with the gsr bc it would be a easyer tune?

who knows
Old 07-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats why those cams aren't working for you. log manifolds + big cams are a bad combo.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kyden
thats why those cams aren't working for you. log manifolds + big cams are a bad combo.
Get the GSR or ITR cams....or even better get a better manifold.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If they keep telling you that they have too much overlap... then you need a new tuner.

If you dont have adjustable cam gears then get them. You can tune out the valve overlap pretty easily just bu adjusting the cam gears. Im not familiar with the cams you have, but unless its a SERIOUS na application they should be fine once adjusted.

I used to have an lsvtec turbo with b16 cams, went to gsr cams and yeah things seemed to smooth out, never had a pre gsr cams dyno, but it just felt more smooth/less peaky.

But really if you have some nice cams there is no reason to go back to stock unless they just have way too much lift or duration.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by m_wrx
i have a log manifold...i thoght mazworx cams would be awesome for my app..thats why i bought them..then after i got them in and installed the tuning shop says..oh these are shitty..swap to the stock gsr cams again...im like wtf..they say their is to much valve overlap in these cams..

and it is very hard to find any detials on mazworx cams at all...so im kinda at a standstill point...maybe that tuner just didnt no much about mazworx cams so he told me to go the other way with the gsr bc it would be a easyer tune?

who knows
pm innes on here, he should have the specs still.

i made great power on the maz cams. but i am not using a log mani either.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have aem cam gears..and the tuner still said..oohh they have just to much overlap..get gsr cams..

ill try to get my dyno paper copyed so i can post it on here so you can see it
Old 07-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go to your car and tell us what your cam gear positions are adjusted to. +/- on each.

Who tuned your car initially?

Id hate to say this about a shop i dont know about (good or bad) but are you sure they know what they are doing? Ems can be pretty hard to learn but you can tune anything smooth(hah almost). And unless your cams are seriously NA designed and your cam ,gears are maxed(as much as you would want them to be) in each direction, i think its the tune not the cams. the manifold is hurting a bit, but i dont think thats the ONLY problem

Oh and tomorrow see if you can call a shop or the manufacturer about the cams you have.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heres my dyno sheet, it dosnt seem right at all, they blamed it all on my cams but im skepticle

Last edited by m_wrx; 07-16-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can you upload your ems fuel and ignition maps? i think i still have the reader
Old 07-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea those cams will not work with that exhaust manifold. i'd change the manifold instead of the cams if it was my car.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:12 AM
official honda whore

Originally Posted by Turbo-charged
yea those cams will not work with that exhaust manifold. i'd change the manifold instead of the cams if it was my car.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what manifold would you guys suggest..and how much do you think a used manifold would be?
Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and i cant get my ignition and fuel maps bc the tuning shop said thats giveing away all their money if they give away their tune secrets.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what manifold would you guys suggest..and how much do you think a used manifold would be?
Any form of a Turbular manifold... i.e Ramhorn, Topmount etc with a good free flowing dp/exhaust. You dont want to run a small log or cast manifold with large cams, your creating a bottleneck.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:09 PM
official honda whore

oh and i cant get my ignition and fuel maps bc the tuning shop said thats giveing away all their money if they give away their tune secrets.

if you have aem you should be able to download aems software and connect to the ecu and pull the maps yourself
Old 07-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the ramhorn manifolds are pretty pricy...how much better is a mini ram then a log manifold?

and where would i be able to download the aem's software?
Old 07-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

slowmotion knows what they are doing. if people arent fimiliar with them take a look. they build some pretty serious cars. just trying to let ya know your not going to some shitty backwoods tuner. that being said there is people making a lot of hp on gsr cams. fmfkid250 on here made well over 500 on stockers and i believe a stock head.

and i agree, ditch the log thats whats killing you. a decent ramhorn isnt that much money especially for the setup you have it would be a waste to not save up and get a quality manifold
Old 07-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

watch the for sale section in the drag forum. ...there is a couple on there right now
https://honda-tech.com/forums/drag-racing-36/july-fs-sticky-please-read-rules-2599774/
Old 07-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No one is saying GSR cams are bad, but good aftermarket ones are obviously better...In most cases, since we still dont know what the specs are on these.

Could you go out to your car and read what the AEM camgears you have say on them? just line up the outer ring mark(line) with the numbers on the inside ring.

Still to just blame a cars dyno results on "too much overlap" doesnt instil much faith.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a guy getting me the cam specs on monday... and ill read my cams degrees tomorrow after work and post what their at