Notices

Cam selection for my set up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam selection for my set up?

Looking to get some advice on cams. The two I'm looking at are the skunk2 pro 1 and tuner 1s. Here is my set up:

B18b ls/vtec 81.5 stock sleeves.
Eagle rods
Cp pistons
Ram horn turbo mani
Stock gsr mani (have victor x waiting to go on)
Garret 60-1 .63 hotside
Built gsr head
3 inch exhaust. (will have e cut out)

I thought I was set on the tuner1s, but I've been thinking of building a new 84 mm block next year and going to a 35r or bigger turbo and I would like to avoid buying cams twice. The reason I decided on the tuner1s instead of the pro 1s is I'm worried about over camming the motor and possibly choking the turbo. My goals for right now are around 450 or so on pump gas (I'm at 400 right now) and around 520whp on water/meth with redline bieng at 9k rpms. This car is no longer a dedicated daily driver, although during the warm months I will probably drive it pretty regularly.

Am I right in thinking that pro1s are going to be to big on my set up as is right now? How much power would be lost from going with tuner1s with a turbo bigger displacement build? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:25 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Cam selection for my set up?

You should be fine with Pro1s with 61lbs/min or better.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You should be fine with Pro1s with 61lbs/min or better.
I know you know your ****, so I am assuming this is the route you'd take knowing my plans and goals. Are there any benefits of using tuner 1s instead of the pro1s other than less wear on the valve train?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From what I have read the tuner1's have less wear and tear. I have no experience with either but I do have the Tuner2's and the driveabilty it close to stock. With pte 1000's and skunk2 tuner2's my idle was 1100 and never had any issues with idle/driveabilty. However, if your going to get pro1's or tuner2's I wouldnt run anything more than a gt35r turbo which is still kinda pushing it imo.

If your looking for a new turbo why not try a Presicion billet wheel? The 6262 ball bearing is really prooven itself and is newer then the gt35r. If I were you, I would go with a pte turbo and pro1's if your looking for some good power. Everything you mentioned will get you the power you want, we all know 400whp leads to 500whp, 600 + lol
Old 01-27-2011, 05:27 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

From my experience, CDecker0218 is correct. Its less likely to wear on the valve train and has slightly more aggressive characteristics than a CTR cam. The questions is whether or not you want to push this car hard. Based upon your parts and goals, you can do the power with either cam. But you'll reach your goal more effectively with the Pro1 by far than the Tuner 1. I think that driving the car daily with a Pro1 is perfectly fine as long as you think responsibly and don't treat every stop light as a pro tree. the "wear and tear" (at least to me) would be rather negligible. But again, I tend to drive like an old lady in my turbo hondas.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CDecker0218
From what I have read the tuner1's have less wear and tear. I have no experience with either but I do have the Tuner2's and the driveabilty it close to stock. With pte 1000's and skunk2 tuner2's my idle was 1100 and never had any issues with idle/driveabilty. However, if your going to get pro1's or tuner2's I wouldnt run anything more than a gt35r turbo which is still kinda pushing it imo.
If your looking for a new turbo why not try a Presicion billet wheel? The 6262 ball bearing is really prooven itself and is newer then the gt35r. If I were you, I would go with a pte turbo and pro1's if your looking for some good power. Everything you mentioned will get you the power you want, we all know 400whp leads to 500whp, 600 + lol
Thank you for your reply. I'm assuming when you said anything more than a 35r, you meant anything less, correct? My understanding is that using aggressive cams like the pro1s with a smaller turbo will create a choke point in the exhaust and make it hard to push out exhaust gas, keeping more of it in the cylinders, and increasing spool time. Am I correct? I'll have to look into the turbo you are suggesting. I haven't looked at turbos in a while.

Shodan, I'm not really to worried about the wear either. I change my oil very regularly and drive pretty mild. I think pro 1s will probably be ok, I just didn't want to shoot myself in the foot by getting cams that where to aggressive right now, especially if I don't end up building another motor.