Notices

cam question--learning experience--message to newbies

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam question--learning experience--message to newbies

about a month ago I started doing some research on a cam setup for my supercharged 98 ITR. I know a lot about engines, but I am no expert on forced induction. I posted questions in this forum as well as the ITRCA site. I got a lot of DIFFERENT opinions. Some people said I just needed a more radical intake cam, some said I just needed a radical exhaust cam, and some people told me I couldn't improve over the stock cams. Finally I received a reply from my email to Jackson Racing. They say I don't need to change the cams, but if I do I should go to GSR cams. I never expected this answer, but I guess the milder cams are better for forced induction. Or maybe they just don't want people with JRSC to blow their engines.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone for trying to help, but also let this be a warning to all the newbies out there. Don't take everything you read here as gospel. These forums should just be a starting point for your research. Cars are very expensive toys. Don't spend the money unless you know exactly what you are doing.

[Modified by fredtoast, 4:50 PM 11/26/2002]
Old 11-26-2002, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cam question--learning experience--message to newbies (fredtoast)

I dont know who you were talking to before, but I know most people on this board would recommend the gsr cams.....almost all of the info on this board is better than what you will find elsewhere on the internet. People on this board have been doing this for years and some are very respected in the industry....to be honest with you, I would trust this board over jackson racing (although in this case they gave you good info )
Old 11-26-2002, 10:18 AM

Default Re: cam question--learning experience--message to newbies (genop)

Sorry that I don't know how to post a link to a prior thread, but I got part of my info from one titled "skunk2 stage 2 cams will work properly with a supercharger " There were other threads that gave other opinions, but I don't have a list of all of them.

I'm not trying to bash anyone for giving me bogus info. I've gotten a lot of good suggestions here. I'm just advising people against using the suggestions in these forums as shortcuts to doing thorough research. The information you get here varies depending on who is online each day.

I'm also a little curious as to why you wouldn't trust the advice from Jackson Racing. Are they always conservative with their advice, or is there something else I should know?

Thanks for the input.

[Modified by fredtoast, 7:20 PM 11/26/2002]
Old 11-26-2002, 10:22 AM

Default Re: cam question--learning experience--message to newbies (genop)

I ran jackson before. Call any reputable race shop, not necessarily an inport shop and they will tell u when u supercharge, u really need to get rid of exhaust gases. 2 years ago, I had crower custom grind me a cam not specified for boost or turbo but (SUPERCHARGED) and it helped alot. Any blown V8 benifits hugely from a good exhaust cam, why would'nt a 4banger??
Old 11-26-2002, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I never said that you shouldnt trust jackson racing, they are very well respected in the industry and make a great product. There are just a few people on this board that have my complete trust in when it comes to honda's.....
Old 11-26-2002, 12:26 PM

Default Re: cam question--learning experience--message to newbies (revhardsi)

I ran jackson before. Call any reputable race shop, not necessarily an inport shop and they will tell u when u supercharge, u really need to get rid of exhaust gases. 2 years ago, I had crower custom grind me a cam not specified for boost or turbo but (SUPERCHARGED) and it helped alot. Any blown V8 benifits hugely from a good exhaust cam, why would'nt a 4banger??
Makes sense to me, but that's the problem. I don't know why a higher lift/duration intake cam wouldn't be better for a supercharged engine also. Anyone have an answer?
Old 11-26-2002, 12:29 PM

larger exhaust cam is ok...but u already have large volume of air coming in, so u dont need a bigger intake cam...too big can result in blow by if i'm not mistaken.