Notices

Cam gears worth it for 350HP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cam gears worth it for 350HP?

Trying to decide if i should install my cam gears before I go in for tuning next week
I have skunk2 pro cam gears (not installed) currently using OEM, but I would need to cut my VC or the tuner wont adjust them
Tuner says he can get it to spool faster and a little more Hp up top with the cam gears, but also said the gains will be minimal at my power level

B18c1 block built 9.4:1
Type R head / Type r cams

any thoughts?
Old 03-09-2016, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Cam gears worth it for 350HP?

Of course it would benefit u to be able to adjust cam timing mechanically. If you're going to pay someone to tune your car u should have that option available
Old 03-09-2016, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can always squeeze something out of them, even if you're only making 150whp, how much? not much on a stock cam, big aftermarket cam, I would highly suggest them. with your ITR's, id keep the stock ones on.
I'm shooting for 420whp, and i'm running stock cam gears on stage 2 cams.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

even a lower power setup will definitely see some power gains from adjusting the cam gears. the bigger difference it will make though is being able to shift the torque curve higher or lower in the rpm range so you can have power where you want it. when set decently, it usually will increase the "area under the curve" by a decent amount as well.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
even a lower power setup will definitely see some power gains from adjusting the cam gears. the bigger difference it will make though is being able to shift the torque curve higher or lower in the rpm range so you can have power where you want it. when set decently, it usually will increase the "area under the curve" by a decent amount as well.
Ok so I think I want to use the cam gears. so i can either cut my valve cover that has welded 10 an bungs or use a stock valve cover. I would prefer to cut the stock vc and put a filter on the stock breather nipple, would this be sufficient for use at the dyno and then switch it back to my vented Valve cover later?

shooting for 350 - 400HP
Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the stock valve cover does not vent well enough, it can and will alter the tune, and can cause damage. maybe have bungs welded on the stocker too, have it be your dedicated tuning-only VC.

also I'll give you a heads up, the proper way to tune cam gear timing can double the amount of tuning time. so if you're paying by the hour, be prepared.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the stock valve cover does not vent well enough, it can and will alter the tune, and can cause damage. maybe have bungs welded on the stocker too, have it be your dedicated tuning-only VC.

also I'll give you a heads up, the proper way to tune cam gear timing can double the amount of tuning time. so if you're paying by the hour, be prepared.
Thanks in that case I will cut the current VC and do a non cut VC with bungs later if i feel its worth it.
They said there is no time limit, its 500 for a dyno tune which is not time specific, although I would be willing to pay also. My base map is supposed to be pretty close so hopefully that will cut down on some of their time

Thanks appreciate it very much
Old 03-09-2016, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the(you do) and the tuner isn't going to charge extra(ask), I would do it.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Not worth it to me. Just add another lb of boost and make up for it
Old 03-10-2016, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-10-2016, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Not worth it to me. Just add another lb of boost and make up for it
Exactly. Keep it simple.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
I'm with you here lol
Old 03-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm with you here lol
Is the emoji targeted @lightingteg or me?

SO confused, I was reluctant to post this up I know things like this have been covered just read alot of older threads saying ITR cams do not need to be adjusted
Old 03-10-2016, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
Is the emoji targeted @lightingteg or me?

SO confused, I was reluctant to post this up I know things like this have been covered just read alot of older threads saying ITR cams do not need to be adjusted
it was directed at lighteningteg, as well as my comment agreeing.

some people just dont care about volumetric efficiency, and their solution to everything is "just raise the boost".
legitimately making the engine run better is always better than "just raising the boost".

notice my sig below. my motor is basically a stroked LS. thats on a Mustang Dyno, with a T3, stock cams, stock TB, stock single runner IM, tiny plenum. Both cams are retarded about 3 cam degrees (6 crank degrees) due to shaving a bunch off the head and using a thinner hg. I know with almost certainty I can pick up another 10-20 tq and hp by simply advancing the exhaust cam a bit. I just havent actually bought gears yet.
there's a reason I'm making so much power with such a simple setup lol; I actually focus on making the engine run correctly instead of just raising the boost til desired numbers are achieved. I also focus on area under the curve instead of just peak numbers.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool thanks Emojis confuse me at times lol. Not much of a hipster myself

Yea i figure it cant hurt to use cam gears, also was reading some articles from jeff evans where he recomends to use them especially on shaved heads/blocks which is a definite in my case, they will be installed correctly with torque wrench and loctite, Will be nice to have that option available for the tuner. With my turbo I will be close to maxing it out regardless depending on how much power I end up making.

Thanks to EVERYONE for the inputs.....cutting my VC tonight lol
Old 03-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

some people just dont care about volumetric efficiency, and their solution to everything is "just raise the boost".
legitimately making the engine run better is always better than "just raising the boost".

notice my sig below. my motor is basically a stroked LS. thats on a Mustang Dyno, with a T3, stock cams, stock TB, stock single runner IM, tiny plenum. Both cams are retarded about 3 cam degrees (6 crank degrees) due to shaving a bunch off the head and using a thinner hg. I know with almost certainty I can pick up another 10-20 tq and hp by simply advancing the exhaust cam a bit. I just havent actually bought gears yet.
there's a reason I'm making so much power with such a simple setup lol; I actually focus on making the engine run correctly instead of just raising the boost til desired numbers are achieved. I also focus on area under the curve instead of just peak numbers.
Wait so you are saying how good your setup is because you took the time to make it run right, but you dont even have cam gears and are making up hypothetical gains to back your point?

All the info we were given was "I want 350whp, should I use cam gears to do it". The simple answer to that is no.

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
Yea i figure it cant hurt to use cam gears, also was reading some articles from jeff evans where he recomends to use them especially on shaved heads/blocks which is a definite in my casel
That makes more sense....
Old 03-11-2016, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can keep talking about efficiency but the reality is that you don't even need a turbo to make it to 302 whp at 10.5162 psi.
That's why we use turbo. We're not racing for the most efficient setup...
Old 03-12-2016, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it's obvious here who the two people are that think more boost is the answer to everything. its sad really.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it's obvious here who the two people are that think more boost is the answer to everything. its sad really.
I'm ok with not spending that money because on OEM cams on an otherwise virgin block (decking wise) cam gears arent going to help much at all. Might as well leave them at 0 , 0.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
I'm ok with not spending that money because on OEM cams on an otherwise virgin block (decking wise) cam gears arent going to help much at all. Might as well leave them at 0 , 0.
Have you ever actually played with cam gears before on a dyno? with the op's engine type, or any other engine, or various engines? More often than not they actually make a huge difference, even with stock cams on as you said an otherwise stock block and head height-wise.

It's not all about numbers, you should know that. Gear adjustment does affect numbers, both up and down, but it also affects power under the curve, and where the powerband occurs at. It's even more useful on turbo motors for dialing in/out overlap, which makes a CONSIDERABLE difference in spool up and actual power levels.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you ever actually played with cam gears before on a dyno? with the op's engine type, or any other engine, or various engines? More often than not they actually make a huge difference, even with stock cams on as you said an otherwise stock block and head height-wise.

It's not all about numbers, you should know that. Gear adjustment does affect numbers, both up and down, but it also affects power under the curve, and where the powerband occurs at. It's even more useful on turbo motors for dialing in/out overlap, which makes a CONSIDERABLE difference in spool up and actual power levels.
I can say if your cams are timed according to the ideal performance specs sheet, then not much ajustement will be required on the dyno.
Full dyno tuning often ends up with +2 to-2 degree variations.

You are still talking about efficiency though. Powerband is good for parking lot racing in 1-2 gear. When you road race in 3-4-5 gear, the spool up isn't as important since you would be shifting way past the spool up zone...
Old 03-12-2016, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Flr Power
I can say if your cams are timed according to the ideal performance specs sheet, then not much ajustement will be required on the dyno.
Full dyno tuning often ends up with +2 to-2 degree variations.

You are still talking about efficiency though. Powerband is good for parking lot racing in 1-2 gear. When you road race in 3-4-5 gear, the spool up isn't as important since you would be shifting way past the spool up zone...
now you're changing the topic, and it's obvious why. Now you're talking about aftermarket cams designed for a specific setup with specific cam timing requirements (still only suggestions though). This whole thread is about stock cams.

I also see you didn't answer the applicable questions I asked.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

now you're changing the topic, and it's obvious why. Now you're talking about aftermarket cams designed for a specific setup with specific cam timing requirements (still only suggestions though). This whole thread is about stock cams.

I also see you didn't answer the applicable questions I asked.
Stock cam or not for 350hp you don't need adjustable one.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

up the boost. aftermarket cams, or a stock like cams not ground down to zero, then yea i would adjust the gears
Old 03-12-2016, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, because I never needed too lol. I know how cam gears work and what they do. I dont need to move my powerband around. Im fine with them. Car makes great power and torque. Every tuner source I have says OEM are usually left alone. If I had some aggressive aftermarket cams I would definitely have them.

But you keep forgetting the title of this thread. If he didnt have a decked surface I would say def not needed.

Quick Reply: Cam gears worth it for 350HP?