Notices

Cam Gears? When to, and how to tell

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Gears? When to, and how to tell

Ive been thinking of upgrading my valve train and I was thinking about cam gears with an uncertantity of when it was upgrade them and if/when I do how to tune the car for them and what to go by?

Like at what point during a build do cam gears become a smart decision to upgrade?
And how much would I adjust them by and how I could tell if i adjusted tehm to the right point?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cam Gears? When to, and how to tell (rdssk8rcs1)

The only benefit they give you is adjustability. You have to strap it down to a dyno and see what results changing the timing gives you.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cam Gears? When to, and how to tell (Tippyman)

So there is no average adjust people make with it to see average gains?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cam Gears? When to, and how to tell (rdssk8rcs1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rdssk8rcs1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So there is no average adjust people make with it to see average gains?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are looking for an AVERAGE setup, dont worry about Cam Gears
Old 11-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cam Gears? When to, and how to tell (xenocron)

I find that placement of the poweband by the cam can be benefitial, but it depends on how you will be driving it; I use a cam on an SOHC asa track-type setting, seperate tunes for each cam degree selection. Works nicely for changing power charachteristics between drag, daily, and mountain.

I was able to get more net power instead of peak power. This way I have more usable power in a better HP gaining area. but my motor design helps it out a little...
Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

been reading about this lately , think it was on evans tuning forum. he was using adjustable cam gears on setups with log manifolds as there is high pressure in the exhaust manifold meaning there is no scavanging effect so dialed out alot of the over lap and had good results . have a look on that forum as its an interesting read. oh and im going to pick up a set for the b18 im building with pfabrication log manifold. will see how it turns out.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (flangemastermike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flangemastermike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">been reading about this lately , think it was on evans tuning forum. he was using adjustable cam gears on setups with log manifolds as there is high pressure in the exhaust manifold meaning there is no scavanging effect so dialed out alot of the over lap and had good results . have a look on that forum as its an interesting read. oh and im going to pick up a set for the b18 im building with pfabrication log manifold. will see how it turns out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the input. Ill definitly take a look at that. I am running a set up similar to that not for too much longer though but it will definitly be something that i will look more into. Thanks again