Notices

building a SOHC boost project

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a SOHC boost project

im new to the boost game.. i got the tech back ground and such i dont intend on boosting the hell out of my motor its all stock internals. w/52k on the block. just as a general question condisering im putting togehter my own kit. whats some things i shouldent go ghetto on. im gonna use a t25 snail, any tricks with oil tapping and coolent flow?. any advice will be put to good use. thanks
Old 05-24-2004, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: building a SOHC boost project (hatchedzex)

also i know the dangers of boost and how to aviod bad things but would a safe range for pressure run at 6 or so lbs? i know alot of people boosting the **** outta there stock d blocks up to 12psi. but my car is a daily driver. whats your definition of "safe"?
Old 05-24-2004, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can boost safely for a reasonable amount of money. alot of factor's come into play for example hp expectations, drivability, what powerband you want etc.

me PERSONALLY, i like top end power so im going with a big turbo, whereas you're going with a T25 (i would move to a 14b though if you like small turbos).

in reality you shouldn't cheap out on anything if you want it done right but there are some tricks you can get away with. for example I BELIEVE you can use a hf/std./vx exhaust manifold with an adapter plate for your turbo. for my reasoning on this click here https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=871256

since your turbo is internally wastegated you won't have a problem there. charge piping is charge piping

good and effective intercoolers can be had for pretty cheap: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=774709

i wouldn't cheap out on your lines, go stainless steel all the way

you can score a cheap bov from a 1G DSM for about $50 and it'll do the job (well at that too)

engine management now thanks to uberdata, krome, turboedit etc. is made easy and FREE. in many cases this method is safer/cheaper then AFC hack, FMU's and other fuel management.

the turbo is the heart and soul of piecing together a kit so make sure it's in good condition. choosing the turbo all depends on your expectation's from your setup, but eclipse turbo's can be had for real cheap so no worries there.

internals are not even all that expensive either. i would seriously consider this. for example i just ordered suzuki vitara pistons with rings for $110 and they are heard to have held boost up to 22 pounds, so running 12-16 should NOT be a problem. mate this with eagle rods and arp rod bolts and you have a decent bottom end (though im not sure if the 14b/t25 even spool up to 16psi)

speed is money, how fast do you want to go?

do some research (HT = ), shop around and you should be golden
Old 05-24-2004, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: building a SOHC boost project (ixiblindixi)

yup you know the old saying . . .

cheap realiable, fast . . . you can only choose 2

cheap & realiable = not fast
fast & cheap = not realiable
realiable & fast = not cheap

there's plenty of info here on HT for everyone . . .
Old 05-24-2004, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much psi you are running isn't a good measure of how reliable your setup will be. You need to look at how much horsepower you're making. The most I have seen is 302whp on a stock internal D16Z6, I wouldn't consider anything more than 200whp safe or reliable though. With forged internals you can go a long ways, it all depends on what you buy.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: building a SOHC boost project (Vtec92Civic)

honestly id be happy with 180-190whp, i got a eg6, dosent take much to make that lil egg move. , i need daily driver reliability, im looking in to a turbo off a mazda, its probibly the smallest snail ive ever seen but im not lookin to run high boost numbers and it would spool fast as all hell. i have a good ecu chipper w/ a good rep doing my fuel management. so i should be good there. thanks for the imput. keep them comin
Old 06-09-2004, 07:10 PM

Default Re: building a SOHC boost project (thenick)

first of all- all of your questions can be answered at http://www.homemadeturbo.com

A 14B turbo will boost to 20 psi (and force the injectors on a 4G63BT to run 100% duty cycle)

We are running 10 psi on a D16 with 150,000 miles on it with a kit that was put together for less than $700 and have had no problems

IM with questions: AIM Yeah Low