Notices

Build it your self or have a shop do it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build it your self or have a shop do it.

Hey guys I'm getting ready for a new build. My last build was a b16a 454whp i'm going with the same motor and colse to same hp probually a little more. Now my old set up i did most of the work except building the bottom end. On this new build i really want to do eveything on my own except tuining of course. My questions is with a manual and a little reasearch is it possible to build this new one my self or should i have a shop do it again. I have all the necessary tools such as dial bore guage, mic set, stretch guage and more. I guess i'm looking for peoples opinion / experiences and see if it's worth it or a good or bad idea. So if anyone has attemped a big build or any build for the first time please chime in.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Build it your self or have a shop do it.

well, if your going to do it.. might as well start somewhere.. if u have the tools and micrometers and such, go for it!

If you have the cash and unsure of yourself, call in a pro.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the question is how much experience do u have?
Old 07-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing wrong with a little bit of both! I had a shop assemble my bottom end and everything else was done with the help of my friends.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you feel confident in yourself, then go for it. The most important thing is to go slow and steady and make sure you dont skip any steps. Its a pretty simple process but if you miss one thing, it ruins it all. Just read as much as you can before hand so you know what you will be looking for.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://articles.evans-tuning.com/200...e-build-video/
http://articles.evans-tuning.com/200...-a-gsr-engine/
Old 07-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've watched the tech article on evans-tuning tons of times and it was a big help. As for experience buildn the bottom end none really i've taken a few a part but my last set up was dose like AlexDphoto said I had a shop build the bottom end and i did the rest. I have a Old d16z6 motor here than i have used the mic on to just practice reading and that went fine I was eaither in spec or with in 0.0002 of an inch. However this motor blew up spun a few main bearings so the crank or block could be off a little. If i dont do it i'm gonna be mad if i do it i'm gonna be so nervous and pist if i blow up a fresh motor with several grand in it. I was hoping to here peoples experiences on this.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not super confident in myself in bottom end assembly. When i tore my engine apart, i left the head as is since it was already built and assembled by Port Flow and let Full Blown Motorsports do the bottom end for me.

The shop owner/tuner had the block hot tanked, assembled, and ready for pickup in 2 days. Cant complain and worth every penny since I work 2 jobs and go to school, not too much time to do it on my own.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm in almost the same exact boat as the OP, i wanna build my own short block since its about the only thing i haven't done. i've read the jeff evans write-up a buncha times and understand basically everything, just have some basic questions.
like if we're getting the block machined, bored, and honed, aren't the cylinder walls/bore going to be perfectly round? so do we still need to use the dial bore gauge to check for roundness?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is really up to you. The block should be fine if the machine shop did their job but I always double check. I never trust work unless I check it myself. The only way to learn is to give it a shot. Take it slow and it will turn out great.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok now for a really newb question..... is there really no adhesive that holds the bearings in the journals?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 PM
pm4nudes

what if you mess up??
Old 07-28-2010, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^If you do your research, you will not mess up. There is no glue that holds the bearings in. They float in the journals with oil surrounding them. The most important things when building the engine are making sure you have the right bearings and the clearances are ok. The other important aspect is the ring gap. Really, the whole process is important but this seems to be where most people have trouble
Old 07-28-2010, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedeg302
That is really up to you. The block should be fine if the machine shop did their job but I always double check. I never trust work unless I check it myself. The only way to learn is to give it a shot. Take it slow and it will turn out great.
Lol that sounds like me, I don't trust anyones work except my own.

OP its a great experience and its easy, just check all your clearances and you should do fine....I've built several motors. Hondas, small diesel engines, big diesels, many v8's, atv and motorcycle engines and all still run to this date...its easier than you think...engines are gravy if you compare to doing a transmission
Old 07-28-2010, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are hundreds of things that can go wrong, and the consequences from a mistake can get very expensive, much more expensive than the labor costs of having things professionally done.

Nobody on here can tell you if you will be able to do it without problems. Some people are the 'mechanical type', and with a good set of instructions can do just about anything. Some people are not. You're going to have to make that call yourself, you know yourself better than anyone here.

I see a ton of people do things themselves only to have problems that were the result of errors on their part, then have to do it all over again and usually paying a professional to do it, spending twice what they would have to just do it once.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedeg302
^If you do your research, you will not mess up. There is no glue that holds the bearings in. They float in the journals with oil surrounding them. The most important things when building the engine are making sure you have the right bearings and the clearances are ok. The other important aspect is the ring gap. Really, the whole process is important but this seems to be where most people have trouble
X2 This is one of the most important and crucial part of any build. You may have to swap bearings from one to another and mismatch them to get them with in spec. Meaning putting together braking back down putting together braking back down.

MO hondas are a awesome place to start learning. That's what they are here for. For us to have fun with them and learn. Get you a chiltons and take your time. You should be fine. IF there is something that doesn't seem right or your a little confused about STOP and ask someone. Don't take a chance because even if your right you will second guess yourself everytime you drive it. Every little noise will scare the **** out of you and it will take all the fun out of driving our rides.

Good luck with your build!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by esedulerp5tenin
i'm in almost the same exact boat as the OP, i wanna build my own short block since its about the only thing i haven't done. i've read the jeff evans write-up a buncha times and understand basically everything, just have some basic questions.
like if we're getting the block machined, bored, and honed, aren't the cylinder walls/bore going to be perfectly round? so do we still need to use the dial bore gauge to check for roundness?
well the bore will never be perfectly "round" - it is actually 'slightly' oval in shape but i get what you meant. if you take your block to be machined/bored/honed/hot tanked etc, and you order the corresponding size pistons you could technically skip this step. only if you would want to check the shops work (for your peace of mind if you never used them before) would you need to check the bore once back fromt he machine shop.

other than that do your measurements for your bearings and check your piston ring gaps and that should be it.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony1
There are hundreds of things that can go wrong, and the consequences from a mistake can get very expensive, much more expensive than the labor costs of having things professionally done.

Nobody on here can tell you if you will be able to do it without problems. Some people are the 'mechanical type', and with a good set of instructions can do just about anything. Some people are not. You're going to have to make that call yourself, you know yourself better than anyone here.

I see a ton of people do things themselves only to have problems that were the result of errors on their part, then have to do it all over again and usually paying a professional to do it, spending twice what they would have to just do it once.
agreed 100%....
Old 07-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

t1 has a great point, it's really up to you on what your think your ability is so you don't spend more in the end after you mess it up. but.... I do agree with this guy.

Originally Posted by Nichelson_Performance
OP its a great experience and its easy, just check all your clearances and you should do fine....
I built my motor with a friends help and it runs well. I learned a lot and am really happy I did it. Just take your time and do research. It's really not that hard
Old 07-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get it done by a good shop whos been in the game a long time you'll spend less in the long run they also blueprint the motor for max hp and reliablity
Old 07-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love the diy guys. I would say 8 out of 10 end up spending more money with me because of issues during tuning. Then they end up paying me to fix everything wrong anyway
Old 07-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Building a motor is pretty simple. Bearings and rings is all you have to worry about on the bottom end. With the head the most important thing for me is installing the rocker arms correctly and making sure you have all the pieces( pins etc). Do it yourself you'll appreciate it more.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alpha
I love the diy guys. I would say 8 out of 10 end up spending more money with me because of issues during tuning. Then they end up paying me to fix everything wrong anyway
8 out 10? I'm not sure what kind of idiots you've been involved with but that simply isn't true if you have the right tools, directions and take your time. I built my motor, no building experience what so ever and put down 490whp on a single walbro, 3076r and E85. Im pretty sure my BSFC is close to top notch

Like the other guy said, "Bearings and rings is all you have to worry about on the bottom end." I left my B18 head OEM so I can't comment much on that
Old 07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Its not just that. Some people just want to go fast and skip the building part without any work. In doing so they cheap out and half *** and **** falls apart when it comes down to the tune. I've heard soooo many stories about jank setups that are just waiting to fail because the owners arent willing to put in the extra hours to do it the "right" way, regardless of what part of the build you're talking about.

Some things that people under estimate alot is tools. You'll need things like a good torque wrench, ring filer, bore gauge yadayada. It adds up and can kill motivation to chug along and get the job done right.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just do it. There's nothing more rewarding then looking back and you have a running car that you assembled and fabricated every piece and tuned yourself.

Quick Reply: Build it your self or have a shop do it.