Notices

Build my GSR block, or build a LS/VTEC setup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build my GSR block, or build a LS/VTEC setup?

I currently have a stock GSR motor with a Precision SC50. This winter, I'm thinking about doing a motor build and I'm not sure which route to go.

- Built GSR
- Built GSR with LS crank ("true" LS/VTEC)
- Built LS block with my GSR head/tranny ("common" LS/VTEC)

I am looking for 400whp on pump gas...95% STREET car, drag racing a few times per year. I want to keep and max out the SC50, as it has a rather nasty powerband. Spools around 2800rpm, full boost by 3600rpm or so, and pulls to 8200rpm.

My tuner/builder (Consummate Tuning ) suggests that I swap in a LS crank for the additional torque I'd gain. But isn't that NOT what I want for a street car, with all the added wheelspin?

Thoughts on which route is best block/crank combo for a 400whp pump gas street car?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Build my GSR block, or build a LS/VTEC setup? (boostincoupe)

were you gonna sleeve it?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:17 AM

i would just build what you have. and i would run stock sleeves.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am looking for 400whp on pump gas...95% STREET car, drag racing a few times per year. I want to keep and max out the SC50, as it has a rather nasty powerband. Spools around 2800rpm, full boost by 3600rpm or so, and pulls to 8200rpm.

My tuner/builder (Consummate Tuning ) suggests that I swap in a LS crank for the additional torque I'd gain. But isn't that NOT what I want for a street car, with all the added wheelspin?

Thoughts on which route is best block/crank combo for a 400whp pump gas street car? </TD></TR></TABLE>

either way you go you are going to have wheelspin with a 400whp civic

I would do the LS crank in the GSR block and call it a day.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Build my GSR block, or build a LS/VTEC setup? (M.A.R.C.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by M.A.R.C. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">were you gonna sleeve it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hell no, I'm just going stock sleeves for this build.

Any other thoughts?
Old 12-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another question:

If I ended up buying a LS block for cheap to build on the side and decided to go the LS/VTEC route, what do I need to know about the costs of converting to LS/VTEC? Specifically, from a GSR motor using my GSR head/tranny/dizzy/etc.?

- Are the clutches interchangeable?
- Which timing belt/HG/all that nonsense?
- Can I run LS pistons with a GSR head, or should I run GSR pistons?
- Do I need to buy a GE or other LS/VTEC conversion kit?
- What machine work is needed/drilling/etc?
Old 12-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought you were planning on running the LS crank/rods in your block dude?
Old 12-03-2006, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (paul vang)

LS Crank with a GSR block
Old 12-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (paul vang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by paul vang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought you were planning on running the LS crank/rods in your block dude? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm either holding onto my block or selling it, I don't want to rip up a virgin low-mileage GSR block

I'm currently looking for a bare GSR or LS block to build in a couple months.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Another question:

- Are the clutches interchangeable?
- Which timing belt/HG/all that nonsense?
- Can I run LS pistons with a GSR head, or should I run GSR pistons?
- Do I need to buy a GE or other LS/VTEC conversion kit?
- What machine work is needed/drilling/etc?</TD></TR></TABLE>

use a vtec 22 tooth waterpump along with the gsr timing belt. the b16 tb is too short and the ls waterpump doesnt like 8000+ rpms. vtec oil pump too while you are in there.

ls headgasket, you have to bore 2 headstud holes for the dowel pins i believe, as well as remove the little brass grommets on the intake side of the hg( been a while since i did mine and i forgot the 100% details).

if its boosted, run a lower compression piston( i bought the 8.3-8.6:1 wisecos for an ls, making my lsvtec just about 9:1), and the rods should match the crank.

there wasnt much drilling, but the oil feed port on the bottom of the head near the distributor side needs to be tapped and plugged, and the plug needs to be removed on the backside of the head for the oil feed to go in. the conversion kit you get should have instructions.

that was what i did for my vtec head on an ls block, making my lsvtec.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Build my GSR block, or build a LS/VTEC setup? (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

use a vtec 22 tooth waterpump along with the gsr timing belt. the b16 tb is too short and the ls waterpump doesnt like 8000+ rpms. vtec oil pump too while you are in there.

ls headgasket, you have to bore 2 headstud holes for the dowel pins i believe, as well as remove the little brass grommets on the intake side of the hg( been a while since i did mine and i forgot the 100% details).

if its boosted, run a lower compression piston( i bought the 8.3-8.6:1 wisecos for an ls, making my lsvtec just about 9:1), and the rods should match the crank.

there wasnt much drilling, but the oil feed port on the bottom of the head near the distributor side needs to be tapped and plugged, and the plug needs to be removed on the backside of the head for the oil feed to go in. the conversion kit you get should have instructions.

that was what i did for my vtec head on an ls block, making my lsvtec.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the help.

Now what I'm trying to figure out is my oil line setup. I currently have a Stealthmode block fitting, going to a firewall relocation kit. The T fitting has my oil pressure sender on one side, and the oil feed line going to the turbo on the other side.

If I went with a GE LS/VTEC conversion kit, how can I make it work for the head, oil feed line, AND oil pressure sender?

Should I run the GE sandwich plate with the head and turbo oil feed lines, and use the oil pressure sender port on the block to get an accurate oil pressure reading?

****'s confusing, B!
Old 12-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Should I run the GE sandwich plate with the head and turbo oil feed lines, and use the oil pressure sender port on the block to get an accurate oil pressure reading?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats how mine is set up. sandwich plate to the vtec feed and the turbo feed, and i have a T out of the pressure port with the oe pressure sensor and my oil temp sensor
Old 12-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Banned

i recently spun the bearings in my gsr turbo setup and now running a built ls vtec set up and loving it, i do not regret not building my gsr at all, im saving my money and plan on getting the gsr block sleeved and all, you could do the same as well
Old 12-03-2006, 07:50 PM

Hey boostincoupe, what kind of rep does Consumate Tuning have? Have they tuned a lot of high hp cars? Just wondering since I am considering driving up there to get tuned in the summer.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Build my GSR block, or build a LS/VTEC setup? (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't want to rip up a virgin low-mileage GSR block </TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm in the same situation....i'm interested to see what everyone has to say about this
Old 12-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18 CYA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18 CYA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey boostincoupe, what kind of rep does Consumate Tuning have? Have they tuned a lot of high hp cars? Just wondering since I am considering driving up there to get tuned in the summer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He has a damn good rep in my book. He tuned my turbo GSR motor at 10 lbs. of boost. Not even fully street tuned, it's making ~ 290-300whp and getting 27-28mpg running rich as hell

He also helped tune his business partner's 590whp EG hatch back in 04/05, as well as his brother's turbo S2000. He tuned both cars on AEM I believe, and my car on Crome.

He also tunes a shitload of turbo and all-motor Hondas in the Twin Cities. You can't go wrong with his work.

(651) 494-2657
Old 12-04-2006, 03:00 PM

ooo, info on the s2000? since that's what I'm planning on getting tuned lol
Old 12-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18 CYA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18 CYA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ooo, info on the s2000? since that's what I'm planning on getting tuned lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

LoveFab/AEM/GT40, that's all I'm sayin'
Old 12-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LoveFab/AEM/GT40, that's all I'm sayin' </TD></TR></TABLE>

and in a civic chassis as well

j/k...Jordan's a good guy
Old 12-04-2006, 03:37 PM

Default Re: (boostincoupe)

LoveFab/AEM/GT40, that's all I'm sayin' </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ohh, so its slow right?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Man U FTW

PM'd you....TC Crew needs to build a few engines this spring...
Old 12-04-2006, 11:13 PM

work what u have no need to go get a new block crank ls vtec kits. gsr cranks are fine for your setup. get some pistons and rods and call it good.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:44 AM
Man U FTW

not to steal the thread, but i'm building my engine as well...i'm asking my parents for the parts for Christmas. Should i get 81.5mm pistons to start with? Also, what brand? I'm getting eagle rods obviously....What bearing kit and do i need any oversize?
Old 12-05-2006, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not to steal the thread, but i'm building my engine as well...i'm asking my parents for the parts for Christmas. Should i get 81.5mm pistons to start with? Also, what brand? I'm getting eagle rods obviously....What bearing kit and do i need any oversize? </TD></TR></TABLE>

81.5mm for stock sleeves. Wisecos are probably the best bang for the buck pistons you can get. As for bearings, get the ACL kit if you're in a budget and stock if you have the money to spend
Old 12-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GSR with LS crank is not "LS/VTEC" its just a GSR with a LS crank.
Stroking a motor does not make it into some sort of frankenstein as "LS/VTEC" suggests.

Quick Reply: Build my GSR block, or build a LS/VTEC setup?