Notices

Broken bolt on turbo with 2000 miles...how bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has this ever happened to anyone? I don't have an actual picture of my turbo, so I'll just use this picture I found to show which bolt I'm talking about. It's a bolt right beside the oil feed. This turbo is different, but anyway...

edit...NEVERMIND

How long can I drive it like this?

Modified by USE2B16A at 8:00 PM 6/19/2005

Modified by USE2B16A at 5:07 PM 6/20/2005
Old 06-17-2005, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who broke it ?? You should be ok if its just one bolt.. Put some baby powder on that aera and see if air is blowing the powder away, if so better fix it, if not dont trip..
Might have to take the case off and get it out if you can, if you cant just drill and tap and put in new bolt grade 8.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PK SPEED)

exhaust doesnt leak out of those holes anyways, so you'll be alright unless you're trying to clock the turbo
Old 06-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmhonda)

so.. its broken how?
Old 06-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken bolt on Precision turbo with 2000 miles...I thought Precision was the best (USE2B16A)

stuff like that doesn't just break on its own. who clocked your turbo? they overtightened it.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just 1 is broken?

You ought to be fine then.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It was installed by a well known performance shop. I think the head is broken off, but it's hard to see. Yes, it's just one bolt. I'm sure it's still under warranty, so I'll just have them replace or fix it. Someone else had this problem fairly recently. I searched, and couldn't find his post.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USE2B16A)

I checked with a small led light, and the bolt is definitely still in there. The head snapped right off.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:56 PM

Well known performance shops break things too. I'd take it up with them.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Re: (stealthmode62)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Well known performance shops break things too. I'd take it up with them. </TD></TR></TABLE> Sounds like the old crazy glue the broken bolt head trick to me too.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:03 PM

Precision? Precision Turbo out of Indiana?
Old 06-18-2005, 10:29 PM

Default Re: (Qveon)

i dont care what turbo it is, those bolt heads will break off sooner or later when they are removed. It's a bitch when your trying to rebuild your turbo
Old 06-18-2005, 11:08 PM
sh!t happens.

G

Default Re: Broken bolt on Precision turbo with 2000 miles...I thought Precision was the best (SEFIxCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SEFIxCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stuff like that doesn't just break on its own. who clocked your turbo? they overtightened it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree..... I have seen people around here do this to there turbos...
Old 06-18-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Broken bolt on Precision turbo with 2000 miles...I thought Precision was the best (G"UNIT)

This thread is stupid....Precision manufactures turbos,they do not manufacture bolts..........you may get more sympathy if you post on a hardware/bolt forum.......
Old 06-18-2005, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...This same thing happened to my freinds Precision turbo, and they gave him some higher rated bolts. I personally think the ones they give with the turbos arn't meant to take heat cycles, and vibrations very well.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 12secDailydriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This thread is stupid....Precision manufactures turbos,they do not manufacture bolts..........you may get more sympathy if you post on a hardware/bolt forum.......
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sorry that this thread isn't entertaining for you. The only thing that may be stupid is the title, but that can't be edited. Your point that Precision doesn't manufacture bolts is pointless. Every company cuts corners somewhere. I'm not looking for sympathy, but people who may have had a similar problem. Read what Bryson wrote:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...This same thing happened to my freinds Precision turbo, and they gave him some higher rated bolts. I personally think the ones they give with the turbos arn't meant to take heat cycles, and vibrations very well. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Was your friend the one who made a post here a while ago?

To all the others that suggest it was overtightened, I wasn't aware that these turbos need to be clocked for a common manifold. Considering that they are a large distributor, wouldn't Precision send them the turbos already clocked? This is something I need to know before I call them. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USE2B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm sorry that this thread isn't entertaining for you. The only thing that may be stupid is the title, but that can't be edited. Your point that Precision doesn't manufacture bolts is pointless. Every company cuts corners somewhere. I'm not looking for sympathy, but people who may have had a similar problem. Read what Bryson wrote:

Was your friend the one who made a post here a while ago?

To all the others that suggest it was overtightened, I wasn't aware that these turbos need to be clocked for a common manifold. Considering that they are a large distributor, wouldn't Precision send them the turbos already clocked? This is something I need to know before I call them. Thanks.
</TD></TR></TABLE>\

no you cannto possibly clock the turbo perfectly from factory from everyoens setups. some flanges are moutned at 90 degrees, 30 degrees, 120 degrees etcc. so pracitclaly eveyrone will need to clock and fit it themselves.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken bolt on Precision turbo with 2000 miles...I thought Precision was the best (USE2B16A)

First off, let me start by saying you should probably trade your turbo'd civic in for a Kia... You get a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty bumper to bumper, so you never have to worry about breaking a bolt ever again. I have a friend that runs a shop that rebuilds turbos. When you buy a core (which is basically a used turbo), unless you are EXTREMELY careful and lucky, you will break the bolt that goes on the turbine housing. These are pros that have been rebuilding turbos for 10+ years... THOSE BOLTS BREAK. Now, in your case, you obviously had someone overtighten or do something they shouldn't have. It's not a big deal, there will be no leak/difference with that bolt missing, gauranteed. Now, for you, you should try not to get so emotional over something so small/insignificant... someone may mistake you for a women
Old 06-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken bolt on Precision turbo with 2000 miles...I thought Precision was the best (used2baracer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by used2baracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First off, let me start by saying you should probably trade your turbo'd civic in for a Kia... You get a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty bumper to bumper, so you never have to worry about breaking a bolt ever again. I have a friend that runs a shop that rebuilds turbos. When you buy a core (which is basically a used turbo), unless you are EXTREMELY careful and lucky, you will break the bolt that goes on the turbine housing. These are pros that have been rebuilding turbos for 10+ years... THOSE BOLTS BREAK. Now, in your case, you obviously had someone overtighten or do something they shouldn't have. It's not a big deal, there will be no leak/difference with that bolt missing, gauranteed. Now, for you, you should try not to get so emotional over something so small/insignificant... someone may mistake you for a women </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're trying to be funny, it's not working. Where in my post was I getting "so emotional?" I was just looking for information. I'm not made of money. This is a brand new turbo on my daily driver. It may be small and insignificant for someone like you who's friend rebuilds turbos, but for me it's unacceptable after spending $9000 at this shop. You have no idea what I've been through with this place. It's been a nightmare from the very beginning, so don't be a *****.

If these "pros" that you're referring to have been rebuilding turbos for 10+ years and still haven't gotten it right, then I suggest they choose another profession.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no you cannto possibly clock the turbo perfectly from factory from everyoens setups. some flanges are moutned at 90 degrees, 30 degrees, 120 degrees etcc. so pracitclaly eveyrone will need to clock and fit it themselves. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to hear you got shafted by a shop... $9000 yikes... what the hell did u buy from them?
Old 06-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Broken bolt on Precision turbo with 2000 miles...I thought Precision was the best (used2baracer)

better have been a whole car for that price
Old 06-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken bolt on Precision turbo with 2000 miles...I thought Precision was the best (wantboost)

Well, they're not known for their low prices. used2baracer is somewhat right, although it wouldn't have been a Kia.

I just want to apologize for the title. Precision has a good reputation and great customer service. The engine this place built for me is leaking coolant and oil. The tune is horrible, etc., + I had many other issues with them. I discovered the missing bolt when looking for leaks with a flashlight. It was the straw that broke the camels back.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, I suggest court action... $9000 is a whole lot for a shitty motor build, good luck
Old 06-20-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: (Bryson)

Yeah all but one of my bolts broke off and I never touched them.

The new bolts held up fine and came out fine. The rest of the turbo is a different story.

New bolts were good though.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken bolt on Precision turbo with 2000 miles...I thought Precision was the best (12secDailydri

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 12secDailydriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This thread is stupid....Precision manufactures turbos,they do not manufacture bolts..........you may get more sympathy if you post on a hardware/bolt forum.......
</TD></TR></TABLE>

your retarded

Quick Reply: Broken bolt on turbo with 2000 miles...how bad?