Notices

which brand forged pistons is better for boosting honda???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 01:28 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which pistons are you using in your turbo b series motor?

Im going with Wiseco forged pistons for ls vtec turbo built with turbonetics kit. I will be boosting 10ilbs daily driver. I will up the boost when i hit the drags

Modified by PnoyEj6 at 8:57 PM 1/2/2007
Old 01-01-2007, 01:35 PM
G2K

Default Re: which brand forged pistons is better for boosting honda??? (PnoyEj6)

CP is your best choice for pistons, in my opinion. Look into how they cut their ringlands, its alot different then anyone else. Also the material that is used to make the piston has lower silicon content then some of the others, which means less expansion under heat.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: which brand forged pistons is better for boosting honda??? (PnoyEj6)

why make a poll if you already have wiseco pistons?

all the pistons you listed are good......its all a matter of personal preferance....
Old 01-01-2007, 01:38 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: which brand forged pistons is better for boosting honda??? (non-VTEC)

well im just curious what you guys are running on your turbo setups
Old 01-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JE here
Old 01-01-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: which brand forged pistons is better for boosting honda??? (Mr Wonderfull)

Endyn rollerwaves are wiseco's. Just overpriced
Old 01-01-2007, 03:28 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: which brand forged pistons is better for boosting honda??? (sc4dr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sc4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Endyn rollerwaves are wiseco's. Just overpriced </TD></TR></TABLE>

they do have differences...i have sets of each here...
Old 01-01-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: which brand forged pistons is better for boosting honda??? (TurboJesse)

I know they do, I'm just F'n around. I run what Jim builds me ( cough cough...cp's)
Old 01-01-2007, 04:22 PM

im runnin Ross pistons and the flamer that built the motor the fist time overbored the cylinders and it eventually crakced a sleeve. but the pistons held up through it all and i now have them in another block and they work as if they were brand new
Old 01-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: which brand forged pistons is better for boosting honda??? (mikeypopshondas)

CP and JE here
Old 01-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which brand forged pistons is better for boosting honda??? (non-VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why make a poll if you already have wiseco pistons?

all the pistons you listed are good......its all a matter of personal preferance....</TD></TR></TABLE>

EXACTLY...

i had wisecos... worked fine for me... im choosin to go with the CP's this time
Old 01-01-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Re: which brand forged pistons is better for boosting honda??? (Topdawgg)

CP's seem to be the least forgiving forged piston out there. There is barely any meat on the edge near the intake reliefs. Gets hotter way faster than it would on any other piston. I've seen problems with this in a friend's car, and many cases online. I chose to run Wiseco in my build.. the coated skirts are an extra bonus, too.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which brand forged pistons is better for boosting honda??? (ccivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ccivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CP's seem to be the least forgiving forged piston out there. There is barely any meat on the edge near the intake reliefs. Gets hotter way faster than it would on any other piston. I've seen problems with this in a friend's car, and many cases online. I chose to run Wiseco in my build.. the coated skirts are an extra bonus, too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree, but im going back to JE from CP.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: which brand forged pistons is better for boosting honda??? (SPOOLINmatt)

the only people that can actually give an opinion about which pistons are better are the ones that have used all brands on many different applications.

You can't say one is better than the other just by 1-2 motors you've used. Or from what you read on HT.

The title should read, Which pistons are you using in your turbo motor? Not "better", because that will be a biased answer in which most people responding to the poll have no ACTUAL experience with each piston brand.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Re: which brand forged pistons is better for boosting honda??? (exospeedAMcrx)

^^very true
Old 01-02-2007, 09:54 PM

i belive that all brands of turbo piston will give you the same power. the question is will the piston hold up and not fail.. for all motor set up each brand will give you a different hp because of the shape of the top of the pistons.. different designs will make different power.. turbo just have a big dish in it.. nothing to improve there.. turbo guys messure power in 10hp incerments.. allmotor guys need that extra 2hp..
Old 01-02-2007, 10:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (gezzuzz)

my friend has ROSS pistons on his 500whp daily driven integra, my other friend is running ARIAS pistons on his 84mm GSR putting down 7xxish Whp in his hatch, i chose CP pistons for my build because id heard some problems of the ARIAS ones having issues, despite my friend not having even a hiccup with his. ive seen the ROLLERWAVE pistons crack, ive heard stories of the ARIAS ones cracking, and im sure it all just depends on the conditions (who builds it, oil, boost pressue, other engine components, etc) because any pistons can fail. i chose not to get my pistons or my valves coated because i think that doesnt do much unless you have an imperfect tune..
Old 01-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zeimbo)

What piston rings do you guys run with your choice of pistons. Do you prefer the same as the piston you are running or go with a differient brand? IE JE pistons with total seal rings???
Old 01-02-2007, 10:25 PM

use the rings that come with the piston. make sure to have them gapped.. you can do yourself or have a shop do it.. cost like $30 but they can do it in no time.. they have a machine.. doing by hand takes forever
Old 01-02-2007, 11:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (BlakeJ53)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlakeJ53 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What piston rings do you guys run with your choice of pistons. Do you prefer the same as the piston you are running or go with a differient brand? IE JE pistons with total seal rings???</TD></TR></TABLE>

CP pistons require a proprietary piston ring i believe since they do their ringlands different than most manufacturers. but usually its best to go with the rings spec'd by the manufacturer of the piston since thats what they were intended/r&d'd for.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Re: (Mr Wonderfull)

We use CP's on all our turbo builds, haven't had a problem with them yet.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Synapse Motorsport)

CP has a problem with the design of their 81-81.5mm flat top b series pistons. Seems they designed them to clear a 2mm over intake valve and something like .590" lift. Neither of which you would ever see in an 81mm 10:1 motor. lol That made the areas around the intake valve reliefs very thin, and is why you see so many break there.

That being said, i've run CP, Wiseco, Arias, Rollerwaves, and JE pistons with no problems as long as everything is setup right. Piston failure usually stems from other problems and gets blamed on the piston.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:27 AM

any opinions on Mahle's?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (allmotor89hf)

Vitaras
Old 01-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SovXietday)

Weisco's here, they tend to take quite a bit of abuse and there ringlands sets lower then most. I used JE's as well but that won't happen again, just directly comparing the two and the Weisco's seem to just be a all around better piston and a lot beefier.

Quick Reply: which brand forged pistons is better for boosting honda???