Notices

BOV Leaking?? What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 12:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV Leaking?? What to do?

I have an Old School HKS Sequential BOV on my Eclipse. I noticed a month or so ago that I could hear my car boosting out the right side of my car, es when I was next to a building. I was checking some stuff a while back and noticed when my car is idling I have a steady flow of air leaking from my BOV. I then tightened the screw all the way in hoping to fix it. It didn't. I have about 10-15psi of Vacuum at idle so I know I have vacuum to the BOV. I really don't know what to do and people on DSMForums are a bunch of non-knowledgable *****! Please help me.

Shaughn
Old 11-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: BOV Leaking?? What to do? (HONDAofPOKY)

is it leaking from the mounting flange or the bov valve?
Old 11-27-2004, 12:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Out of the BOV horn itself. Not the flange.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Default Re: (HONDAofPOKY)

hrm, this is the old school star wars lookin one isnt it? have you checked the valve bosy to make sure its seating properly maybe a piece of trash got stuck or something
Old 11-27-2004, 12:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yeah, the old school one. It sounded badass with 10-12psi from my Eclipse, now it sounds like a waterfall. Not even a distinctive PSSSHH, just like water spilling.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

HELP PLEASE BUMP!
Old 11-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HONDAofPOKY)

The BOV sees a steady vaccum source at idle so generly its slightly cracked open; mine does the same thing. I dont think its that big of a deal.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:40 PM

Default Re: (Blackack26)

everybody's bov is open at idle. well everyone i talked too. mine did, my cousin did, my brother's did.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (InTeGrA B18b1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by InTeGrA B18b1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">everybody's bov is open at idle. well everyone i talked too. mine did, my cousin did, my brother's did. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it's really a simply device. Vacuum at idle=suction= bov cracked slightly open. As soon as the throttle opens air is forced into the vacuum lines and pushes the bov closed. It remains being "pushed" closed while and during boost. When throttle closes vacuum is established which opens the bov and forces the compressed air out.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Re: (InTeGrA B18b1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by InTeGrA B18b1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">everybody's bov is open at idle. well everyone i talked too. mine did, my cousin did, my brother's did. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They shouldn't be . That's why they have a spring on the inside to compensate for the vaccum pressure on the BOV. No one's BOV should be open at vaccum. I hear this a lot and it just shouldn't be.

I would take off the BOV and start dissmanteling it as much as you can and just tinker with it a lot. Buy a new spring or something (if available). If you can't fix it like that you might as well throw it away and call it used . my .02
Old 11-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Default Re: (adseguy)

i've been talking to him, it does it under boost too, i think that maybe the rubber valve has a tear in it or something.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They shouldn't be . That's why they have a spring on the inside to compensate for the vaccum pressure on the BOV. No one's BOV should be open at vaccum. I hear this a lot and it just shouldn't be.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry but you are wrong. The spring is there so that the bov does not open during boost(which it shouldnt anyways because your vacuum lines will be seing the same amount of pressure. Maybe some of the newer blow off valves are designed to not be open at vacuum...but there is nothing wrong with your bov being open at idle.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:12 PM

Default Re: (Mag00n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mag00n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sorry but you are wrong. The spring is there so that the bov does not open during boost(which it shouldnt anyways because your vacuum lines will be seing the same amount of pressure. Maybe some of the newer blow off valves are designed to not be open at vacuum...but there is nothing wrong with your bov being open at idle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHA...except sucking unfiltered AIR for that matter.

not flammin just informing you that the spring is in no way used to hold boost! the same pressure is seen on both sides, so the BOV will not open until excess pressure is seen. The spring is there to combat vaccum when it pulls on the chamber and to provide a little over force on the chamber when in boost.....to make sure it is seated.

I have the TurboXS RFL and in the package it said to adjust the spring until the car in idle would not open the BOV. It also said I can tighten the spring down even more to hold to pressure longer and have a stronger "BLOW OFF" sound
Old 11-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You are not educating me. Like I already said maybe yours is but not all blow off valves are made to be closed at idle. MOST of the older ones are slightly cracked open at idle. And give me a break about the unfiltered air. Your talking about such a tiny amount of air. Mine (1st gen dsm which I know was originally recirculated)Slightly cracked at idle immediately closes upon opening the throttle(just like EVERY other dsm ive ever dealt with and older greddy's and hks's). Damn yo I better run out and pull my head and see how much damage has been done to my block running an unfiltered bov :hammer WTF do I know though Ive only been running my setup with 1st gen dsm bov for over a year with ZERO problems and zero leaks. Maybe its BEST to run with it completely closed, but its totally NORMAL for it to be slightly cracked at idle as long as it closes when the throttle is opened. I guess you better run out and tell all the dsm guys pushing 300+whp through there uncirculated bov's that they are putting their motors in jeapordy.

Modified by Mag00n at 1:06 AM 11/28/2004
Old 11-27-2004, 06:42 PM

Default Re: (Mag00n)

STOP THE F/I FORUM HATRED LOL

The fact of the matter is you both are right. Older bov's, such as DSMs, tend to be slightly cracked at idle. This is primarily because they come from system that were originally recirculated. They are also being used on different cars with different engine and vacuum characteristics than their original equipment.

It is also true that new bov's come with an adjusting screw to keep it closed at idle. I suppose keeping it closed at idle is ideal.

The fact of the matter is their are plenty of turbo imports running around with bov's that are cracked at idle and its not a big deal. The original poster said he has an "older" hks so I am willing to bet it's totally normal for it to be slightly cracked open.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:13 PM

Default Re: (rizzoTHErainMaker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rizzoTHErainMaker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">STOP THE F/I FORUM HATRED LOL</TD></TR></TABLE>

no ****!

thanks rizzoTHErainMaker for the info. on why some are open. Just wanted to say that i didn't list anything false and i wasn't trying to educate you at all, you are quite knowledgable, just that you stated the spring is there to help hold boost when that isn't all of it's function and that it is also used to hold the (now i know) NEWER BOV's completly shut.

Sorry if i came off trying to teach you, I wasn't.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:02 AM
H-T White Ops

My Tial is open at idle. Before I installed it it was closed. The spring held it closed. Once I installed it though, the vacuum of the intake manifold with a closed throttle overcame the spring pressure and opened it.
As soon as I tap the gas it closes because the spring pressure takes over and closes it. Which will keep you from sucking in unfiltered air (well, not much at least).
Just thought I'd throw in my $.02 into this arguement.

As for the OP, disassemble the valve. You might have a worn o-ring in there that's leaking by.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:18 PM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

I've had about 3 different BOV's and they're all open at idle. It's fine.

And I've never understood how people can tell if their bov is leaking in boost? How the hell can you tell this, besides standing next to it on a dyno with your hand over it??