Notices

borg warner s300

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default borg warner s300

hey all you guys and girls i am new to honda-tech anyayways i am building up a d16z6 for my 94 civic and i have gotten this borg warner turbo from work for free and i was worndering it says s300 on it but is it an s300 or not? i will be using vitaras, egale rods, acl berings, arps, dont know what to do with the head, s300 hondata. i was wornding how i could make this turbo work with this setup? any help would be great. oh and the gay thing is it is a t4 turbine with devied flange.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Modified by mat1 at 7:13 PM 10/17/2008

Modified by mat1 at 12:26 PM 10/19/2008
Old 10-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: borg warner s300 (mat1)

sorry cant get pics to work?
Old 10-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: borg warner s300 (mat1)

is the dievied turbine good for the 1.6 will it help it spool faster?
Old 10-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a huge turbo for a D series...not sure that's going to be your best option. If it were a true S300 ETT series, it would be capable of 600+whp which is overkill and a half on your Vitara build. Honestly, i'd sell it and get something that will spool on your D series before redline...
Old 10-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

he's right.. that thing is huge for a little D with 8:1 c/r
Old 10-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (marcj)

also, it looks to have some oil in the turbine.. are you sure it's good?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no it is doen thanks cus i was going to put it on and make my self look like a dumbass. my friend has one i might buy i will post a pic tell me what you think i am looking for 300-400 hp.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mat1)

Old 10-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and i here ebay turbos are not the way to go
Old 10-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've seen quite a few people say their ebay turbos have lasted 2 years of beating.. you wont find many that agree here because they all think name brand is the only route.

If I was you, i'd try a T3/T04E with a smaller turbine housing, or a GT28 if you have some money to throw at a garrett
Old 10-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a never used ITS .48 50 trim that i may want to sell..........it would be ideal for your d

pm me and we will talk
Old 10-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for the price can you go wrong with trying an ebay turbo?
Old 10-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mat1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for the price can you go wrong with trying an ebay turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

IMHO the only ebay turbo i would buy is a used holset and most of those are too big for what you want

the turbo i mentioned above would be ideal, i mean its made for between 300-450whp plus we could probably make a pretty good deal the turbo has never been used but it is about 4 yrs old just sitting around and then sitting on my manifold for a while but it was never on the car when it was running i swear you can tell by looking at the turbine and comp fins if it had been used it would be dirty on the fins and this one isn't

pm me and we'll talk money

Old 10-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Man U FTW

Default Re: (spoolin turbo s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoolin turbo s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a never used ITS .48 50 trim that i may want to sell..........it would be ideal for your d

pm me and we will talk </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is generally not the place to discuss such things, but i agree that this turbo is much better suited for his setup and goals.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mat1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for the price can you go wrong with trying an ebay turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. If you blow $200 on a shitty Ebay turbo and it breaks (which it will), you're out $200 and have to buy a good turbo at that point. IMO, put the money towards something good in the first place and skip the headaches..
Old 10-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes. If you blow $200 on a shitty Ebay turbo and it breaks (which it will), you're out $200 and have to buy a good turbo at that point. IMO, put the money towards something good in the first place and skip the headaches..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have experience with ebay ching chong turbos? If not, I don't think it's right for you to sway people from at least trying. Being from other turbo forums, and reading some DSM sites, I can honestly say a lot of people have had good success running them at a fraction of retail price..

If you consider the amount of people talking badly about them, and compare it to those who have had actual experience with them.. it doesn't make sense for them to spew their opinion about them. then you factor in the amount of people complaining about their brand name turbo failing, there's a small deviation. those bitching about brand name turbos are blamed for user error, and ebay brands are blamed on the user being cheap..

All I'm saying is if it's the guys first build, and the seller wants to offer a warranty on the turbo, then why not take a stab at it?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is generally not the place to discuss such things, but i agree that this turbo is much better suited for his setup and goals.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know that
that is why i told him to pm me
Old 10-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Man U FTW

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marcj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do you have experience with ebay ching chong turbos? If not, I don't think it's right for you to sway people from at least trying. Being from other turbo forums, and reading some DSM sites, I can honestly say a lot of people have had good success running them at a fraction of retail price..

If you consider the amount of people talking badly about them, and compare it to those who have had actual experience with them.. it doesn't make sense for them to spew their opinion about them. then you factor in the amount of people complaining about their brand name turbo failing, there's a small deviation. those bitching about brand name turbos are blamed for user error, and ebay brands are blamed on the user being cheap..

All I'm saying is if it's the guys first build, and the seller wants to offer a warranty on the turbo, then why not take a stab at it? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont have any first hand experience with them and never will. I'm not big on gambling and i really hate fixing problems. I'd much rather buy something that i know is going to last. I've had a few Garretts and they've all worked out great. I dont see a reason to go with anything else.

Also, there are a lot of people who bash those garbage turbos because there have been several threads reporting how crappy they are and how short they last. If you want to try one, by all means, do it, BUT if you have problems, dont think for a second that you can come back here bitching about it.

I can liken this discussion to buying and driving a Pinto. Sure, some people have been burned alive when the car explodes. I dont have any personal experience so that means i'm not credible?? If you want to jump in and drive away with that time-bomb, go for it, but just because i haven't been burned personally, doesn't mean i dont know a thing or two about them...
Old 10-20-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I can liken this discussion to buying and driving a Pinto. Sure, some people have been burned alive when the car explodes. I dont have any personal experience so that means i'm not credible?? If you want to jump in and drive away with that time-bomb, go for it, but just because i haven't been burned personally, doesn't mean i dont know a thing or two about them...</TD></TR></TABLE>

^ ^ That's the best analogy I've heard this year regarding the ebay turbo dispute. As Fat Anthony "Tony" Williams would say.. "It's funny, because it's true."
Old 10-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheShodan)

Still no statistical evidence that ebay turbos are not worth the gamble.

The only reason anyone should believe ebay turbos are junk is if: 4 ebay turbos and 4 garrett turbos are all ran hard, exactly the same way on a machine. performance and longevity are logged and compared, then you could make a hypothesis. Instead you guys go off threads people make here and there.

generalized opinions are like.. well, you know.. everyone has one.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Man U FTW

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marcj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Still no statistical evidence that ebay turbos are not worth the gamble.

The only reason anyone should believe ebay turbos are junk is if: 4 ebay turbos and 4 garrett turbos are all ran hard, exactly the same way on a machine. performance and longevity are logged and compared, then you could make a hypothesis. Instead you guys go off threads people make here and there.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd love to do some testing; however, to make a good, statistical comparison is going to require a few thousand dollars worth of turbos. A statistically valid test would need no less than 5 vs. 5. I'd love to test them, but dont have the bank to do so...
Old 10-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marcj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Still no statistical evidence that ebay turbos are not worth the gamble.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It doesn't work that way.. it's about failure rates, so testing 4 turbos of each brand is not going to do **** unless you can somehow attain at least 400 Ebay China turbos from each of the factory that makes them, and the do the testing to make the results somewhat credible. We are not talking about a bunch of turbos from the same Ebay seller either, because most likely, they will all come from the same factory.

Problems with Ebay turbos is quality control. You can't conduct your own "quality control tests" unless you have 5000+ turbos in your hands. However, Ebay turbos usually skipped this process completely so you either get an awesome turbo, or a complete piece of ****.

And from my experiences, both first hand, second hand, and even down to the personal level (ie: friend tells a story, neighbouring shop share stories), Ebay turbos are about 50% success rate over the span a racing season (6 months). Problem is, to get an Ebay turbo to work within the first half year, it' 50% chance; to get them going on the entire year, slash that by half. Now to run them at 20+ PSI and have it last for over a year, the chance was 0%. And to find an Ebay turbo that actually doesn't smoke at all (100% clean exhaust), the chance was 0% as well. All the Ebay turbos I have installed, tuned, etc.. always had a slight minor fog of oil smoke and minor oil consumption. Nothing crazy to ruin your day, but it's not working 100% perfectly either.

So the above are my actual experiences with Ebay turbos for the past 3 years. Who doesn't want cheap parts? Look at my signature, I have friggin 5, yes, FIVE turbo cars that I own, and oh yes, I would love to save over $7000 in turbos if I went with all Ebay turbos. All my cars are friggin GT-series and there is a reason for that...ROFL Turbos are something I never cheap out unless I have so much time on my hands and spend 4 hours every 6 months on each of my car to replace the turbo. Minding that sometimes severe turbo failures will cause debris to get sucked back into the engine, either from the exhaust valves, or small debris making way into the engine. Your motor can potentially get ruined as well. From seized CHRA's, shafts or bearings, debris can get into the oil and work its way into the engine bearings as well. It's not something you overlook.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:33 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

generalized opinions are like.. well, you know.. everyone has one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Perhaps I'll bring you to the lab and you'll see the number of WONDERFUL ebay turbos that are holding the back service door open. I mean what a wonderful job these GREAT products like the XS Power brand has brought to the turbo mainstream. With a Massive 40/60 odds of successful operation, I'm sure they have made such a great calling for the enthusiast that says "I don't need a budget". I admit, they have some great uses in the shop and around the area. Like the fact that they make great jackstands for a chassis when you're in a hurry to get it off the ground while in a bind; they're the new HOTNESS in paperweights for the massive amount of XS turbo rebuild paperwork we used to have to hold down on those windy days. I even think we put 2 of their turbine housings on a small bar and made some dumbells for my sister in her workouts at Bally's. And I know Pete used all the thrustbearings from all the toasted cartridges that we retained and made about 20 necklaces for his cousin that won a Mr.T look-a-like competition. Oh yeah, those turbos have they're uses, just not on cars for an extended period of time.

Modified by TheShodan at 10:42 PM 10/20/2008
Old 10-21-2008, 05:26 AM
Man U FTW

^^LMAO....
Old 10-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

will i spool the borg? can imake boost i realy want to use this turbo. plese dont fight

Old 10-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

MAYBE

Get smaller turbo

Quick Reply: borg warner s300