Notices

boosting my gsr

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boosting my gsr

ok i recently bought a 94 gsr swap (obd1) w/ 92,000 miles for my 2000 civic ex and am installing it this weekend. its basically stock other than a moroso oil pan and exedy stage 1 clutch. im a lil bit knowlegable on turbo kits as i built a rear mount turbo for my truck basically from scratch. im looking into a basic t3t4 setup to push about 6 or 7 psi. i know the best way is to get the bigger injectors, fuel pump, s300 and tune it. but i have been told by a few people that at a low amount of boost like that simply going with 440 cc injectors, bigger pump, and stickin an fmu on it will suffice on the gsr's. any advice or recomendations? i am wanting to pump it up to about 10 later on and will sure get the s300 and tune it then but is the fmu actually good enough? safely i mean?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosting my gsr

do NOT get an FMU. that is a death sentence for a FI or even an N/A car.

For tuning get an obd1 p28 or p05 ECU, obd2b to obd1 jumper harness (if you arent getting that already, which i assume you are) and have the ECU chipped. You can use an expensive program such as hondata s300, but there are cheaper alternatives such as CromePRO which i currently run and have run in the past on my other turbo civic.

For your boost setting, think of it not so much as how much BOOST you want to run, but how much POWER do you want to make. A measurement of boost is merely a variable, it depends on the size of the turbo. I.E. 10psi from a t25 turbo is NOT equal to 10psi from a gt4088 turbo.

For a safe bet, i would shoot around the 250whp mark. It will be plenty reliable as long as it is tuned properly by a competent tuner. At 250whp you will be good with a simple set-up of DSM 450cc injectors accompanied by an injector resistor box. Those injectors tap-out at around 300whp though so you can upgrade later on if you up the boost while still maintaining the often necessary resistor box.

Decide what you want to do now, it will be MUCH cheaper to do it right the first time around.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cody_ej8
ok i recently bought a 94 gsr swap (obd1) w/ 92,000 miles for my 2000 civic ex and am installing it this weekend. its basically stock other than a moroso oil pan and exedy stage 1 clutch. im a lil bit knowlegable on turbo kits as i built a rear mount turbo for my truck basically from scratch. im looking into a basic t3t4 setup to push about 6 or 7 psi. i know the best way is to get the bigger injectors, fuel pump, s300 and tune it. but i have been told by a few people that at a low amount of boost like that simply going with 440 cc injectors, bigger pump, and stickin an fmu on it will suffice on the gsr's. any advice or recomendations? i am wanting to pump it up to about 10 later on and will sure get the s300 and tune it then but is the fmu actually good enough? safely i mean?
A chip'd P28 will set you back all of maybe 110-150....skip the FMU please

You can run the free stuff/cheap stuff Uber data etc... or just step up and get an EcTune software package for like 150 for the chip'd P28....find a tuner first

A walbro will set you back about 80-90 shipped

The big dollars will be the mani (150-1200), turbo(300-1500), wastegate(100-250)....

I guess a simple used drag mani 200-250/used 57trim 300-400/used 38mm gate 100-150 would suffice....run about 8-10psi with a decent tune....JRC FMIC -- 110-150, charge pipes 100-150, FPR setup 80-100

The hardest part will be finding trustworthy people who wont sell you junk...buy local or buy new...my opinion...

The last stock block GSR build I saw was a pt67 HO build at 12psi making 407whp....ran 11's in a 94 cx chassis...his build was slighly more money because of the parts used but if your shooting for 250-300whp the cheap build should more than get you there....Ive seen drag manis pushed to flow 550whp lol...wouldnt advise it though...quite a few nice top mount manis floating around used as well as even just a nice equal length long tube mani...like a used peak boost mani or something cheap but able to flow the big 60-1++ type snails efficiently

Basically "safely" pushing a certain whp on stock block is in the tuning...parts matter too but a pro tuner can know when to back off if he spots something on the dyno...injectors/pump/tune is the most important aspect so I wouldnt skimp too much...considering how CHEAP crome, ecTune, uberdata etc.. are I cant see you justifying a couple hundred bucks in savings at the risk of blowing a motor, getting stranded or worse

Back when Accel DFI was all that was around (1990's) people still used FMUs...now days I just cant see it unles its an absolute ghetto rig junkyard setup that you dont care about blowing because the motor is like $200 to replace...

Thats my opinion...Im lazy and I hate doing things twice, getting stranded and replacing blown motors...oh and working to get the $$$ to replace the parts I broke lol
Old 06-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pretty much everything has been covered now.
not everything but a pretty good amount.
please post any f/i related questions in the f/i forum.
a mod has been contacted to move the forum from 92-00 civic forum to the f/i forum
since you will be helped out better over there
Old 06-02-2009, 08:52 PM
New User

What you need to do is get the motor in the car and running right and get the stuff you need just for starters...

99 Civic SI rear L bracket
99 Civic SI Top Driver side Engine bracket
99 Civic SI Transmisson bracket plate for mount
99 Civic SI axles with Half shaft
* 99 Civic SI Shift linkage
You need to also get your self a p28 ecu obd2b 2 obd1 jumper harness and some 450 cc DSM Injectors Stay away from FMU for sure it will cause injectors to fail... Your Fuel Pump will work for now but you will want to upgrade it later.

Thats all I can think about so far..
Old 06-03-2009, 04:05 PM

i have all these parts except my ecu is a p72
Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have all these parts except my ecu is a p72
that's ok, the p72 will suffice to get you up and running for now, but deffinetely stick to what i have recommended previously once the fun begins
Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 PM

cool. im thinkin bout gettin a cheap lil t3t4 turbo setup off ebay or something to get started. then start replacing components piece by piece as i start to build the engine a lil to handle more boost. whatcha think?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool. im thinkin bout gettin a cheap lil t3t4 turbo setup off ebay or something to get started. then start replacing components piece by piece as i start to build the engine a lil to handle more boost. whatcha think?
not a bad idea, in fact that is what i did. it's also not a bad idea because then you can choose what YOU want to upgrade to, not what greddy or edelbrock wants to give you for $4000, which is laughable at best in my eyes for a turbo kit for a honda. You've got a good start goin, just take your time and keep everything straight and you will have yourself one hell of a fun car that you won't be afraid to drive any distance.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:18 PM

yea thats kinda what im goin for. its my only car so it needs to be reliable. thats why i wanna go no more than 10 psi... 6 or 7 for starters tho. i found a complete kit for about $600 shipped and it even includes a nice chrome manifold, rather than those OEM looking cast ones. im not wanting anything stoopid fast, just enough to beat the locals in their dads mustang gt lol and i dont plan on installing any of it until i have all components and ecu ready to tune. and btw i found a website that sells pretuned p28 ecu's for about $250. u just send detailed info on what engine u have, all mods, turbo specs, etc. is this a reliable way to go??
Old 06-03-2009, 09:32 PM

and btw i found a website that sells pretuned p28 ecu's for about $250. u just send detailed info on what engine u have, all mods, turbo specs, etc. is this a reliable way to go??
I wouldn't do that. I'd take my car to a well known tuner and let him do your tune.
Tuning is crucial for a reliable motor.