Notices

Boosting B16 need help not trying to blow up motor.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosting B16 need help not trying to blow up motor.

O.K. I'm almost done piecing together my new turbo kit that I'm making myself. This will be my second attempt at my own car turboing it. I had a turbo ZC motor before this that I made my own kit and I eneded up dropping a valve and blew the whole motor to pieces literally. Well I'm to blame cause when it came to engine management or lack there of there was none except a S-AFC. Well I'm not trying to blow my B16 up this time and I've taken better steps. I'm now running a Crane Modified cap, MSD external coil, MSD 8.5mm wires, and a MSD SCi-Plus Ignition system.

That takes care of the ignition side but I need some help about the fuel side. I was running 450cc's in my ZC and they were just too damn big. I'm very good with tuning a AFC but I just couldn't get it to stop running soo damn rich. Even set at -49% my A/F gauge was pegged at rich and you could smell fuel. So this time I will be using smaller injectors. I was told since I'm only running 8 PSi that stock B series fuel pump and my stock injectors will be enough and just run the AFC again. I was planning on running a Teg. Fuel pump and using 310cc injectors. most people run Walbro's 255 but I don't think that big pump is needed for now. So will I be o.k. running a Teg. pump and stock B series injectors for only 8 PSi. Or if needed still run a Teg. pump and just use 310cc injectors. Also The AFC and my MSD ignition set-up should be fine for the little amount of boost I'm running.

I already have a ignition box that has Nitrous retard controlls so a BTM is just a waste of money. My set-up is in a 91' Civic HB with a B16. I'm running a basic T3/t4 turbo same that comes in all the popular kits. I do plan to up the boost into the teens but I'm building a second motor for that but I miss the great feeling and sound of boost so I want to install my kit now for the summer time. Am I forgetting anything or missing anything os help prevemnt detonation as far as tuning goes. I will also be running a Wide band O2 kit when the turbo is installed. Thanks
Old 01-26-2004, 02:44 PM

are you sure you hooked up the afc right? at -49 it shouldnt be rich by any means.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:52 PM

Hey, i am condsidering boosting a zc, do you have any of your old turbo parts from that setup let me know if you do, e-mail at dingo1686@yahoo.com