Notices

Boosted SOHC no spark prob

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Boosted SOHC no spark prob

Hello Guys I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas as to why I am losing spark on my car. Here are some details

SOHC accord, no vtec, external coil. Using stock 1993 Accord distributor with external coil which is a MSD Blaster SS. I am using an AEM EMS (older pnp 30-1040). Car has a custom sidewinder manifold with a Precision Sc61.

A little history on the car itself is as follows. Car was parked running a little over 2 years ago to begin a turbo build. Unforseen circumstances made this sit for almost 2 years without finishiing and battery died. (couple of times) When it came time to finish recently there was a no spark situation. The car was sent to a local shop to diagnose. The car was finally made to run by checking the spacing between the pickups in the distributor. The first day back from the shop was fine. The second day developed a sputter at high rpm.(over 6000 rpm) Thouhgt it might be fuel related and was told back to check the tune. Second day the problem was the same but sputer dropped down to 5000 or so rpm. It proceeded like this for a couple of days until anything over 3000 rpm would bring a sputter.

New ngk plugs were installed along with new manecor wires. Drove the car and problem was the same.

I forgot to mention that if the engine was kept under the rpm limit that the car would sputter it would run just fine. If the engine was reved to a point to where the car would sputter the oem tach in the dash would start bouincing all over the place.

The car was driven like this and then all of a sudden it would die while being driven. I would wait on the side of the road for about 5-8 minutes and then the car started up fine. When the car died the tach needle just went with it. Even while rolling and popping the clutch the engine would not start. This happened about 3-4 times.

Replaced the distributor cap and rotor with new OEM units.

Problem remained and the last time the car was driven it turned off in the driveway of my home and has not turned back on since.

So my questions are Has anyone seen this before? Could this be caused by the heat of a monifold? COuld it be The AEM?

The distributors guts were supposedly changed out for brand new oem parts. (I have yet to verify) If this is the case and I have new oem cap, rotor, distributor, new coil, and all wiring double checked what could it be? I swapped out an ignitor from a known working distributor and the problem remains.

If the distributor guts were not swapped out for OEM units could this resolve the issue?

It seems as though everything has been triple checked and my problems remain.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosted SOHC no spark prob

Well after 4 days of no spark and failed attempts to turn over, this morning it started like nothing.

Breakup is still there at higher rpms 5500+.

Anyone have any ideas?

If for some reason I was lied to and the distributor sensors were not replaced and it still has all the Autozone rebuilt parts in it could this cause this intermitent problem, and ignition breakup? At first i thought it was boost related being it was only at higher rpm but being this also happened at 3000 rpm I doubt it.

My next step would be verifying that the internal distributor sensors were inded changed for OEM Honda parts. If no then i would then buy a new OEM Honda distributor from te dealer.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosted SOHC no spark prob

Anyone have any ideas?