Notices

boost and the pain it brings.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost and the pain it brings.

Hey guys, wassup. I been posting and getting into the forced induction scene for a while now and i have got say i dont want to go back to all motor. been driving a 95 honda civic ex for two years now. and i have to say i have had bad luck on bad luck with this car.

September 2002- I first get the car and throw and intake in there. i get beat upon just about everything in the streets.

December 2002- i begin to read upon swaps and i become a firm believer in the ls/vtec.

January2003- i couldn't take it anymore. seemed like everybody had power except me. i take the 1500 i had saved for the swap. and decide to slap on bolt ons. Dc 4-2-1 headers, 2 1/4 mandrel bent exhaust, cam gear, fpr. and some other dumb **** that dont make power.

June 2003. I was happy with the power. but i wanted more. My car would be just enought to hang with stock si's and svt ford focus's. I decide to slap on more bolt ons. Skunk 2 intake manifold, zex 59300. and msd ignition. Wow what a difference in power i thought. once i got it tuned it put down 142whp and 117lbs tq. not bad for all motor.

July 2003- two srt-4's hand me my *** with my girlfriend in the car
i then new i had two routes to go. turbo or nitrous.

December 2003. my impatient *** chose nitrous. it was nice but the refills just go to be to expensive, and i didnt like how the power wasnt just there all the time.

March 2004- i began reading up on homemade turbo kits. and pieced my own.

June 2004- my car is finally up and running with:
hf manifold
saab t3 turbo
jrsc intercooler
plus the msd, skunk2 im, and zex cam.

The same day i got it turboed i lit up and srt 4 from second gear roll on the afc untuned at 10 psi. i was really happy till 2 days later when i saw white smoke come out. damn its been two freaking days and my cars already giving me trouble. damn. im hoping for a blown headgasket. nope. fried piston rings.

july 2004- swap in a new motor, jdm d15b vtec, and sell the cam, but keep all the other bolt ons. I was going to go uberdata with dave(vtc_civic) but NO my impatient ***, went and tuned the hack by someone who knows little about it. (steve from Pacific Performance, in SOuth Florida)

August 11,2004- dyno tuning night: my car does 155whp at 5 psi. not bad at all condsidering my turbo size. then i left to get something to eat cause they were having problems with the dyno. i come back to a blown motor on the dyno. the idiots ran 13 psi on my bone stock high compression d15b without my knowledge . Anyway the car put down 247whp and 217lbs torque. well i believe the car would have made it due to right tuning. but hey what can i say now. theres a hole in the block the size of my fist.

This is all i want to ask you my fi friends what should i do next?
b18c1 swap,ls/vtec/, build my bottom end, or sell the bullshit homemade kit and get a better prefab and stock d16z6.

Please leave any comments thanks

Modified by 1zexxedcivic at 7:37 PM 9/3/2004

Modified by 1zexxedcivic at 12:50 AM 12/23/2004
Old 09-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hard choice...
since they blew the motor on the dyno, they shall be liable, sicne they didnt know what they were doing

everyone with a dyno MUST have insurance... insurance will pay you
so dont beleive the BS they arent responsible
tell them to show u the dyno papers in wich they arent liable or anything, or legal paperwork, or u can take them so small claims court (if under 3k)
Old 09-03-2004, 10:17 AM

Default Re: (USDM 4G VTEC)

"...Dc 4-2-1 headers, 2 1/4 mandrel bent exhaust, cam gear, fpr. and some other dumb **** that dont make power"

hahah the dumb **** that dont make power crack me up..hah.......................................i say ls turbo,its cheapest...well the motor is,and get some new turbo parts,or no turbo and ls/vtec
Old 09-03-2004, 10:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hard choice...
since they blew the motor on the dyno, they shall be liable, sicne they didnt know what they were doing

everyone with a dyno MUST have insurance... insurance will pay you
so dont beleive the BS they arent responsible
tell them to show u the dyno papers in wich they arent liable or anything, or legal paperwork, or u can take them so small claims court (if under 3k)</TD></TR></TABLE>

your right, they should be liable. and the guy that was tuning my car, (Steve From Pacific Performance, in florida) had left the next day to go out of town. I came by the shop and he told me get the parts i need for the rebuild and we can use the tools and the shop for free. but by the time he reached back. **** i was gone. back to Nebraska for college.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:36 AM

Default Re: (eg6T)

ls turbo looks like the route im gonna go so far. i mean im looking at aroundat 4000 dollars for the swap and the turbo. anyone else..
Old 09-03-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Re: (1zexxedcivic)

i dunno i just can't leave the d-series alone. such a cheap friggin motor, and easy as hell to work on.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just do full rebuild on the d series motor. A built turbo d series can make just as much power as a b sereies.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:47 PM

Default Re: (jdmtegra666)

SCrew SOHC's. Go LS power ...Dave (vtc_civic) did a good job with my old b18a...he made 330whp and 270wtq.....with my new b18b i think ill make more.

-Trent
Old 09-03-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Re: (civicflnum1)

Ritalin you hyperactive impatient bastard.
-PHiZ
Old 09-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicflnum1)

I would just swap in a d16.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SICKSOLVTEC-T)

i got a sleeved d16z6 block for u, if built right u will have a monster sohc, and cheaper than b series too.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=915402
Old 09-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Youre problem is tuning, not the HMT, so dont knock it, and dont go wasting your money on a prefabbed kit thats 3 times as much and will do the same thing.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

your d16z6 made 142whp with i/h/e cam IM ignition and tuning??

thats not just "notbad" its unheard of.

NO OFFENSE but it sounds like most of your "bad luck" comes down to bad choices
and impatience on your part. Not trying to hate, but you shouldnt feel so bad like the worlds out to get you or anything, cuz really you could have avoided alot of the fuss.

cept for that bullshit with those dumbtards running 13psi while your out getting a bite.
thats some fucked up ****. they should buy you a new d15b man.

anyhoo.. for your case.. hmm,
it is a difficult decision, I'm a believer in the stock sohc block with mild boost(8psi max) and great tuning. should be reliable and plleeenty of power.

however from the sounds of it you wouldnt be able to resist pushing it higher, which will lead to death.. the sohc's can really only handle up to 200whp on a stock block, regaurdless of boost or tuning, its just too much power.

can you really afford to drip in a bseries THEN boost it and tune it properly?
if so, go for it, but remember if you **** up again, that is an expensive motor to ******* blow.

I might suggest building a sohc to be durable, it should be more durable for a bseries, the build overall might be a bit more expensive than starting with a stock bseries block, but in the longrun, MULTIPLE bseries blocks would be WAY more expensive.

and you would have the forged/built internals as a safety net against your impatient personality, and tendency to push the boost too high.

good luck.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tegunderpressure)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegunderpressure &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Youre problem is tuning, not the HMT, so dont knock it, and dont go wasting your money on a prefabbed kit thats 3 times as much and will do the same thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree, spiffy prefabbed kits can make more power..
but is your problem not enough power?? NO

is your problem reliability? yes, concentrate on that.
which would be your block and tuning/fuel management, not what turbo you're running.

do however make sure your wastegate setup is proper, so you dont have any boost spiking problems..
Old 09-04-2004, 06:40 AM

Default Re: (Tad)

well i really want 250whp-260whp, but i would settle with the 200whp-215whp the stock block can give me. but with my motor already having to be disassembled and i minus well rebuild it. and ur right Tad,poor choices have been made, but the fact that u can go throough 2 motors in a lil over month boggles my mind. I guess i underestimated on how important fuel and timing is. I mean a turbo sohc running the uberdata, would be more reliable than one running the afc hack? Am i correct?
Old 09-04-2004, 06:41 AM

oh yes and when i go back home for break i will post my sohc all motor dyno.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:40 AM

Yo 1zexxedcivic I thought your were using the Hack.....how did they boost it to 13psi??

The stock map with the Hack is only good for 10-11psi.

If you got the money then go with a built LS motor or the Frankenstein one for turbo. If not then I wouldn't do another stock SOHC turbo motor but if that is all you can afford then you ain't got too many choices now do ya.

Bottom line do what your pockets says you can do.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:09 AM

Default Re: (CRX T-Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX T-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yo 1zexxedcivic I thought your were using the Hack.....how did they boost it to 13psi??

The stock map with the Hack is only good for 10-11psi.

If you got the money then go with a built LS motor or the Frankenstein one for turbo. If not then I wouldn't do another stock SOHC turbo motor but if that is all you can afford then you ain't got too many choices now do ya.

Bottom line do what your pockets says you can do.</TD></TR></TABLE>
the stock map will only put out so much voltage...no matter how much boost. if the hi throttle settings are at -50 it shouldn't throw a cel. i hit 14psi once on the hack and no cel. you gotta have enough fuel flowing to be able to run -50 though or...BOOM.

uberdata is the way to go on the next setup my friend...don't boost until you tune and stay away from those monkies that blew up your motor.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Re: (scttydb411)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scttydb411 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the stock map will only put out so much voltage...no matter how much boost. if the hi throttle settings are at -50 it shouldn't throw a cel. i hit 14psi once on the hack and no cel. you gotta have enough fuel flowing to be able to run -50 though or...BOOM.

uberdata is the way to go on the next setup my friend...don't boost until you tune and stay away from those monkies that blew up your motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

correct and my tuner was using a modified map sensor, which i believe also led to my detonation.

and as far as the money goes, i wanted to swap in a stock d16z6 so i can piece together a top of the line kit like ryancivic2000, timmays, ra166e, ladysman, etc.
I want all top of the line parts (lovefab manifold, turbonetics t3/t4, thermal catback exhaust) so i can run like 8psi with some good fuel management.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:21 AM

I dunno it just doesn't make sense to run a built bottom end, with a homemade kit and run 18 psi, and make like 270whp. when the motor can handle 350-400whp
Old 09-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1zexxedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dunno it just doesn't make sense to run a built bottom end, with a homemade kit and run 18 psi, and make like 270whp. when the motor can handle 350-400whp </TD></TR></TABLE>

you can always upgrade your turbo later.

bottom line is you'll need a built bottom end to make 350whp anyways..
so, what, do you think you're going to be able to make that power reliably with a prefabed kit or something??
Old 09-04-2004, 04:25 PM

Default Re: (Tad)

not nessecarily prefabb, but bigger and better turbo parts. For instance a t3/t4oe, or presicion sc34, a lovefab manifold, bigger exhaust, and of course better fuel management.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:00 PM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1zexxedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not nessecarily prefabb, but bigger and better turbo parts. For instance a t3/t4oe, or presicion sc34, a lovefab manifold, bigger exhaust, and of course better fuel management. </TD></TR></TABLE>

what good is that gonna get you on a stock block? I would take a kit with a small turbo anyday over a t3/t4 on a stock d series block.. You can only make 200-225whp safely. Any homemade turbo can make that with much more area under the curve than a huge t3/to4e. Build the motor and have vtc_civic tune it with uberdata...
Old 09-05-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Re: (Mpir3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what good is that gonna get you on a stock block? I would take a kit with a small turbo anyday over a t3/t4 on a stock d series block.. You can only make 200-225whp safely. Any homemade turbo can make that with much more area under the curve than a huge t3/to4e. Build the motor and have vtc_civic tune it with uberdata...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, thats the plan, and the choice i have made.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:50 PM

Back from the Dead cause i just got my new motor.

Quick Reply: boost and the pain it brings.