Notices

Boost + oil consumption

Old 10-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Boost + oil consumption

How much oil are you guys consuming, on average, if any? Seems my car seems to suck down oil with repeated 3rd, 4th gear passes. Doesn't seem to care if I am in 1st or second little blips of the throttle here and there. Never seemed to use oil before and has excellent compression and leakdown as well a brand new stem seals. Using a stock PCV connected to the intake manifold with the breather on the valvecover vented to atmosphere. No catch can. Could this be the explanation for my issue? Is the stock breather line too small to accomate the needs of my crankcase venting?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boost + oil consumption

Originally Posted by Hybrid96EK
How much oil are you guys consuming, on average, if any? Seems my car seems to suck down oil with repeated 3rd, 4th gear passes. Doesn't seem to care if I am in 1st or second little blips of the throttle here and there. Never seemed to use oil before and has excellent compression and leakdown as well a brand new stem seals. Using a stock PCV connected to the intake manifold with the breather on the valvecover vented to atmosphere. No catch can. Could this be the explanation for my issue? Is the stock breather line too small to accomate the needs of my crankcase venting?
You are litteraly boosting your crankase, and it should be the explenation to your problem.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atec
You are litteraly boosting your crankase, and it should be the explenation to your problem.
Does the PCV valve not act as a check valve to prevent pressure from entering the crankcase? Also if it didn't wouldn't the valvecover vented to atmosphere relieve the pressure?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by atec
People say this... but I can never get anyone to explain how. The PCV valve is a one way valve. You cannot push past it into the crankcase... only draw from the crankcase into the intake.. So how would I be pressurizing the crankcase this way? I do understand that with increased cylinder pressure I increase my blowby. I understand that this will raise crankcase pressure higher then that of an NA engine... but my question is, isn't the single line on the top of the valve cover sufficient to relieve this pressure?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

driving my car on the street i dont uses any oil. but at the track i will use alot of oil and fill up my catch can. My car dont smoke or anything. I was guessing it was normal i maybe wrong
Old 10-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it is somehow normal. To minimize oil entering the catch can, make sure the catch can itself sits higher than the valve cover.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

People say this... but I can never get anyone to explain how. The PCV valve is a one way valve. You cannot push past it into the crankcase... only draw from the crankcase into the intake.. So how would I be pressurizing the crankcase this way? I do understand that with increased cylinder pressure I increase my blowby. I understand that this will raise crankcase pressure higher then that of an NA engine... but my question is, isn't the single line on the top of the valve cover sufficient to relieve this pressure?
The single line is not going to relieve much at all. HOnda motors make a crap ton of crank case pressure under boost. Get rid of the factory PCV system and run fittings off the valve cover and back of the block. You can never have to much ventilation, but not having enough will def give you problems and kill your motor.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since you are using the stock PCV, you should not lose any oil. you are correct that the PCV is a check valve and will not let boost into the crankcase but on that same note, the PCV is closed under boost providing no ventilation. either way it should not cause oil consumption. are you sure you dont have any leaks? sometimes too much pressure can cause the oil pan gasket to leak.

does the car smoke? is it possible that the oil feed or return on the turbo is causing oil to push past the turbo seals causing oil consumption. other than that look for any physical leaks.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

People say this... but I can never get anyone to explain how. The PCV valve is a one way valve. You cannot push past it into the crankcase... only draw from the crankcase into the intake.. So how would I be pressurizing the crankcase this way?
the stock honda pcv valves were not designed to see positive pressure.
more than a few psi will cause them to fail, and flow 'charged air' into the crankcase.
i use a cheap plastic check valve designed to withstand 20psi.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
since you are using the stock PCV, you should not lose any oil. you are correct that the PCV is a check valve and will not let boost into the crankcase but on that same note, the PCV is closed under boost providing no ventilation. either way it should not cause oil consumption. are you sure you dont have any leaks? sometimes too much pressure can cause the oil pan gasket to leak.

does the car smoke? is it possible that the oil feed or return on the turbo is causing oil to push past the turbo seals causing oil consumption. other than that look for any physical leaks.
There are no leaks. I built this engine from scratch. Every gasket is new, the exterior of the engine is so clean you could eat off it.

The car DOES seem to smoke under very light throttle (reported by people following behind me) and I have also noticed some smoke after engine breaking to a stop. Seems the increase in vac brings on smoke. I HAVE replaced the valve stem seals with Viton units. That didn't seem to do me any good. The turbo oil drain line is good and the turbo is a brand new unit from Garrett. I have no oil on the exhaust side, in the downpipe, or in the charge pipes. The intake side of the turbo is also clean as a whistle. Car has SRP pistons, eagle rods and new JE pro seal piston rings also. Block was bored to specific clearance also. Compression is good (195psi if memory serves me correct) and leakdown is also excellent. The oil consumption is COMPLETELY random. Sometimes I go for over a week with no change on the stick, other times it will suck down 1/8th to a 1/4 quart in a few days. You can smell the oil burning in the exhaust from time to time sitting at a light also... The car has no cat, so its real easy to pickup smells. Car has also been tuned its whole life, so I don't suspect a problem from this. I am honestly leaning back towards stem seals and thinking about pulling intake manifold to check for oil on the stems. Piston tops (from what I can see down the spark plug holes) are ALWAYS wet with what smells like a two stroke mix. They have normal carbon build up except on the intake side which could indicate the oil is coming from the intake manifold/valves. Once I get my other Civic aligned then I have a backup car to allow me to tear into the hatch.