Notices

boost chips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost chips?

who on this board has good experience/knowlege on burning boost chips for hondas? i would like to get one burnt, but i dont know who is knowledgable in it.
thanks
daniel
Old 06-09-2004, 06:18 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

It's not that easy. Your car must be tuned...you need a ROM custom tailored for your setup.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:16 AM

yup yup.............if you have the ability to tune your car yourself with uberdata, hondata, somebody can make a base map to get your car running, but thats about it. there are too many variables with a boosted car to make a chip that will be garunteed to work perfectly.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:27 AM

Default Re: (JSpin)

what if i stated my setup and plans, would someone be able to burn me a chip with pretty safe ignition map, and a best guess fuel curve, then i would fine tune the fuel with a afc, and if i want more or less timing, i could adjust it by the dizzy? also, with my car being obd2, would the adjustments to the dizzy stay, or would my ecu automatically reset it to stock timing? problem is this, first off, i dont have the money for a complete ems right now, and where i live, there isnt a dyno, all i have access to is a/f ratio reading equipment, and there's really no one here that i would trust to tune my car. i can blow it up by myself if thats whats goin to happen! so my main concern is the timing, and then i can tune the fuel. i just want pretty safe (best guess) ignition and fuel maps and i can tune the fuel if needed.
thanks
daniel
Old 06-09-2004, 08:54 AM

Default Re: (RudeLude)

Well, you wouldn't chip your OBD2 ecu, you would get a conversion harness and an OBD1 ecu.

And as far as fine tuning your setup. A best guess ecu chip is no different than people running a best-guess AFC setup or best guess FMU setup. I would say it's actually a little safer, because you are making accomodations for ignition timing.

But yes, the most desirable way to do it, is for the tuner to be able to lay hands on your car.

-PHiZ
Old 06-09-2004, 11:53 AM

Default Re: (PHiZ)

IN response to your PM.

the OBD1 ecu for the H22 is the P13. There are not many people that do development on those. And the one person that I do know that does development doesn't do boost maps unless he can do them hands on.

So, you're other option is to use a P28 ecu or a P72 ecu if you have a dual-runner intake manifold (IAB). But this ecu was not designed to run the motor and will need some in-depth tweaking.

I hate to go back on what I've said previously, but if you had a turbo D16 or a turbo B18. We know enough about the characteristics of these motors, from experience, that a "best guess" program would be very safe and very close to ideal. With a boosted H22, the scenario is a little different. Sorry.

I would suggest maybe VAFC hack and low boost....

-PHiZ
Old 06-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RudeLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what if i stated my setup and plans, would someone be able to burn me a chip with pretty safe ignition map, and a best guess fuel curve</TD></TR></TABLE>

The best you'd get from that is a basemap to limp to the tuner's on... unless you want to take money you'd waste on an AFC and buy a wideband, tune it yourself.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would suggest maybe VAFC hack and low boost....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would suggest AFC hack and running as much boost as your MAP sensor can register over AFC hack and low boost, with the extreme ignition advance involved in low boost AFC hacks.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:32 AM

so hondata would be the best bet then. ok, i'll just run the afc and low boost until i can afford hondata. how much does that cost with everything needed, also, exaclty whats need in order for me to tune it myself. where i live theres not really anyone here that i would trust to tune my motor, if its goin to blow, i would like to do it myself &gt; is it possible that when i get it, u guys could help me tune, cuz i havent done it before, i kinda got a lil grip on what i need to look out for, but i know i aint no pro. also, i have no dyno here, the only thing i have access to is a wideband. so any help i could get with tuning would be helpful. i'm goin to use the wideband to tune my afc setup though. thanks for all the help and info guys, i really appreciate it. also, about what a/f ratio should be ideal for my car? h22a stock block & internals, 7psi, afc hack with dsm 450's? also, would the stock h22a fuel pump be sufficient for the 7psi setup? i know i'll need a pump after i get hondata and up the boost, but i would like to get everything new when i up the boost, so i dont really wanna get a pump now, and it has wear on it when i up the boost.
thanks
daniel
Old 06-10-2004, 09:49 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

If you're going to tune yourself, why not go with Uberdata...it's free.

You'll need:

A ROM burner [about $100]
A Wideband
OBD-1 ECUA Computer to tune with
Chips/sockets/resistors/capacitors - [$20 tops]
Uberdata [FREE]

Most folks generally shoot for a 12:1 AFR with as little variation as possible.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RudeLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so hondata would be the best bet then. ok, i'll just run the afc and low boost until i can afford hondata</TD></TR></TABLE>

1) No one in this thread has mentioned Hyundaidata to you, and in fact none of them would recommend it over Uberdata.

2) What part of AFC hack + low boost = did you not get? The lower boost figures become areas of extreme ignition advance with the AFC hack, due to how the part throttle maps, where your most advanced ignition timing is found, are stretched out to cover the boost event.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:58 AM

Default Re: (J. Davis)

check my sig...
Old 06-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Banned

Default Re: (T4sol)

I'd run the AFC hack as mentioned above. However I'd install a MSD ignition box and buy their BTM (boost retard module). This unit retards ignition timing a set amount per psi. That way you can set it at say 1 degree retard per psi boost and you can partial throttle boost with little worry.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:08 PM

Default Re: (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1) No one in this thread has mentioned Hyundaidata to you, and in fact none of them would recommend it over Uberdata.

2) What part of AFC hack + low boost = did you not get? The lower boost figures become areas of extreme ignition advance with the AFC hack, due to how the part throttle maps, where your most advanced ignition timing is found, are stretched out to cover the boost event.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont know anything about uberdata, and i'm not that familiar with dealing with the timings maps. how would i figure how to setup and timing and fuel? do they have base maps that i could use to modify as i go? how do i monitor the timing to make changes with retarding and advancing?
thanks for the help
daniel
Old 06-10-2004, 04:10 PM

Default Re: (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're going to tune yourself, why not go with Uberdata...it's free.

You'll need:

A ROM burner [about $100]
A Wideband
OBD-1 ECUA Computer to tune with
Chips/sockets/resistors/capacitors - [$20 tops]
Uberdata [FREE]

Most folks generally shoot for a 12:1 AFR with as little variation as possible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

where do i get all the equipment from to do this?
thanks
daniel
Old 06-10-2004, 06:32 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Here you don't sound very confident with tuning:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RudeLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know anything about uberdata, and i'm not that familiar with dealing with the timings maps. how would i figure how to setup and timing and fuel?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here you sound rather comfortable with the idea of learning to tune it yourself:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RudeLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where i live theres not really anyone here that i would trust to tune my motor, if its goin to blow, i would like to do it myself &gt; is it possible that when i get it, u guys could help me tune, cuz i havent done it before, i kinda got a lil grip on what i need to look out for, but i know i aint no pro. also, i have no dyno here, the only thing i have access to is a wideband. so any help i could get with tuning would be helpful. i'm goin to use the wideband to tune my afc setup though. thanks for all the help and info guys, i really appreciate it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Which is it? Uberdata is almost exactly like Hondata...if you understand one, you should understand the other.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RudeLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

where do i get all the equipment from to do this?
thanks
daniel</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can get a Willems burner on eBay or you can go to http://www.moates.net and get one of their burners. You said you already have access to a wideband, eBay or HT classifieds for an OBD1 ECU, moates.net again for the necessary chips/sockets/etc, and you can download Uberdata from http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/
Old 06-10-2004, 06:47 PM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RudeLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so hondata would be the best bet then. ok, i'll just run the afc and low boost until i can afford hondata. how much does that cost with everything needed, also, exaclty whats need in order for me to tune it myself. where i live theres not really anyone here that i would trust to tune my motor, if its goin to blow, i would like to do it myself &gt; is it possible that when i get it, u guys could help me tune, cuz i havent done it before, i kinda got a lil grip on what i need to look out for, but i know i aint no pro. also, i have no dyno here, the only thing i have access to is a wideband. so any help i could get with tuning would be helpful. i'm goin to use the wideband to tune my afc setup though. thanks for all the help and info guys, i really appreciate it. also, about what a/f ratio should be ideal for my car? h22a stock block & internals, 7psi, afc hack with dsm 450's? also, would the stock h22a fuel pump be sufficient for the 7psi setup? i know i'll need a pump after i get hondata and up the boost, but i would like to get everything new when i up the boost, so i dont really wanna get a pump now, and it has wear on it when i up the boost.
thanks
daniel</TD></TR></TABLE>

who tunes hondata in the Cayman Islands? You'd have to fly Mase out there or something...
Old 06-11-2004, 05:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here you don't sound very confident with tuning:

Here you sound rather comfortable with the idea of learning to tune it yourself:

Which is it? Uberdata is almost exactly like Hondata...if you understand one, you should understand the other.

You can get a Willems burner on eBay or you can go to http://www.moates.net and get one of their burners. You said you already have access to a wideband, eBay or HT classifieds for an OBD1 ECU, moates.net again for the necessary chips/sockets/etc, and you can download Uberdata from http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not that i'm not comfortable with tuning myself, its just that i'm not familiar with uberdata. i'm goin to tune myself, regardless of what managment i'll be using, what i was trying to say is that i might need some support if i'm using uberdata.
thanks for the help
daniel
Old 06-11-2004, 06:47 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Join the Uberdata forum on that site...those guys over there know what they're talking about, and should be willing to help.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:29 AM

i just joined the uberdata board! i still have one question though, do i still need to get an fpr or anything like that to help out with fuel? or do i just need the injectors and a fuel pump, and the ecu can be programmed to control everything?
thanks
daniel
Old 06-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

STOP:

http://www.pgmfi.org

GO
Old 06-13-2004, 10:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, you wouldn't chip your OBD2 ecu, you would get a conversion harness and an OBD1 ecu.

And as far as fine tuning your setup. A best guess ecu chip is no different than people running a best-guess AFC setup or best guess FMU setup. I would say it's actually a little safer, because you are making accomodations for ignition timing.

But yes, the most desirable way to do it, is for the tuner to be able to lay hands on your car.

-PHiZ</TD></TR></TABLE>

when i convert to obd1, would i need to change anything else at all? or do i just get the harness and swap ecu's?
thanks
daniel
Old 06-14-2004, 03:27 PM

ttt
Old 08-13-2004, 11:45 AM

i'm gunna be using a p28 ecu for my uberdata setup, would it matter if its usdm or jdm? with my motor being jdm, could i use the usdm ecu, and tune with uber?
Old 08-13-2004, 11:55 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RudeLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with my motor being jdm, could i use the usdm ecu, and tune with uber?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:57 AM

christ Dax, i couldnt even blink my friggin eye! thanks man

Quick Reply: boost chips?