Notices

bolt-on difficulty level

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bolt-on difficulty level

I just have a question to those who have installed the bolt-on kits from companies like Greddy, Edelbrock, and etc. How difficult is actually installing the turbo? I have little to no experience working on a car and I thought a Honda would be a fine place to start. I have the socket tools and a car stand/ramp and jack so I don't think any other tools would be needed. I understand how the turbo system works and should flow, but the install still has me worried. With all that, how difficult is installing a matched (to car type) kit?

Anyone like me who is a first timer giving advice would be welcome too
Thanks.

PS: I already plan on engine management and all the necessary things that go with maintaining a turbo
Old 01-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man if you have patience and the ability to read directions, you can do it your self. Management, location and size of return line, and just double checking your work are the most important things. I remember doing my first ever install. I downloaded the directions like two weeks before the kit showed up and went over my whole car so I would know exactly what to do before the kit got here. That way, I wouldn't be so giddy waiting to boost and miss crap and blow it up. It's really not a hard job at all man.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:54 PM

Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

I just did my install the other day and I didn't think it was difficult at all...just time consuming. Oh, and I didn't have a 'kit'...which means I had to go to the hardware store multiple times to get necessary nuts, bolts, fittings...etc.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rsintegra)

I did my first install a few months ago and it wasnt a kit either. I was missing bolts, studs, fittings, so I also had to make several trips to the hardware store and find things to make it work.

It wasnt hard at all, just time consuming like rsintegra pointed out. If you get stuck anywhere, we'll be here to help out.

Goodluck! You're gonna fall inlove with boost .
Old 01-16-2006, 04:00 PM

Default Re: (rsintegra)

last week i attempted my engine swap and custom turbo setup. i had no prior experience on either. its not hard at all if you understand the concept on what has to be done. i pieced together my kit myself and the only disavantage to that was i was running to the part store constantly. just give yourself the whole weekend to do it incase something happens. good luck
Old 01-16-2006, 05:10 PM

ive always like to say, if you can run a couple hoses and install a header then you can install a turbo kit. i remember the first one i did ages ago, i just dove head first into the project and came out with damn good results.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:40 PM
HT Black OPs

Default Re: (turbodohcsi)

the only thing that bugs me is the vacuum lines and coolent.
just making sure you got all the lines and that they are put in the right place and T'ed
off right.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:49 PM

its easy, i would go in detail of what to do, but im not sure what setup your running.

for example:
internal wastegate/external wastegate
boost controller or not
what kind of intake manifold
if your turbo has a tap in the intake housing
etc.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (turbodohcsi)

ive turbo'd 3 or 4 cars in the past few years. not really hard, but can definately be time consuming. lots of bolt **** up to find out you have to take something off in order to bolt something else on(my personal annoying experience). even more than a lot of working on car experience, a good knowledge base of how a turbo setup works is handy, especially when running oil and vacuum line and **** like that.

i say do it, you will know your car much better after you do and be able to do it much easier and efficiently the next time around
Old 01-16-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Re: (blackeg)

Haha, I honestly think working on the gauges itself is harder (or more time consuming) than installing the actual 'turbo' itself...BlackEG is right, especially when he says you will know your car much better after you do it...and that way, in the future, you can troubleshoot problems better since you have an understanding of where things are and how they work.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Re: bolt-on difficulty level (theharlequin)

Thank you everyone for your input
Old 01-17-2006, 02:42 PM

Default Re: bolt-on difficulty level (theharlequin)

no prob