Notices

blocking oil squirters

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blocking oil squirters

i got a b18c5... had my questions answered about increasing my displacement. but some people are telling me to use an ls crank to achieve a 2.0L displacement.

what are the pros/cons of blocking oil squirters?

seems like honda put them there for a reason...?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:04 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: blocking oil squirters

Yeah they are there for a reason and they serve their purpose when using cast pistons. However, when using forged pistons the squirters are not needed. The LS does have a longer stroke than a GSR/Type R crank. Just using a LS crank in a stock bore B-Series block will not yield you a 2.0. Sleeving the block and going with a 84mm bore will get you pretty close or a little over, I don't remember.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

perfect answer... thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

83 or 84mm bore ( i think it is 83mm because everyone tells me my 83mm gsr is a 1.9 ) with the ls crank will net you 2.0 and as stated, with forged pistons, the oil squirters are not needed.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i have to sleeve my block to an 83 mm to get to 1.9L and then add an ls crank and that will give me a 2.0L??
Old 01-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Mr. Badwrench

thats what i have been told, my gsr crank'd 83mm is a 1.9.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

your pistons will hit the oil squirters when using an ls crank
Old 01-06-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

84mm w/ 89mm crank will give approximately 1972cc of displacement. Not 83mm
Old 01-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as shodan states
84x89 is 1972cc
and furthermore
83x89 is 1926cc
85x89 is 2020cc
86x89 is 2067cc
Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Everybody just says that you don´t need the squirters with forged pistons but nowbody can say why?? A bandwagon answer??

There are a bunsh of different forgeing technics and alloys. If the pistons don´t need the extra luberication the squirters gives, the piston pin deffenitly wount be sorry for it. Allso the squirters takes away some of the heat from the pistons. With a good oilcooler that is only good.

Doesn´t the s2000 engine have forged piston stock?? Why does those engines have oilsquirters if they are not needed?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You dont NEED oil squirters at all. Forged pistons absorb heat better than cast so they're less likely to cause detonation. The lubrication benefits are not large with oil squirters, and are probably outweighed by the increase in windage loses.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The sweed
Everybody just says that you don´t need the squirters with forged pistons but nowbody can say why?? A bandwagon answer??

There are a bunsh of different forgeing technics and alloys. If the pistons don´t need the extra luberication the squirters gives, the piston pin deffenitly wount be sorry for it. Allso the squirters takes away some of the heat from the pistons. With a good oilcooler that is only good.

Doesn´t the s2000 engine have forged piston stock?? Why does those engines have oilsquirters if they are not needed?
i understand what your saying but when the fastest honda's don't run oil squirters and there engines last, its proof right there. Damn near every engine builder i know tries there best to get oil pressure as high as possible, eliminating the squirters helps with that.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you got a good oil that can handle the rpm and loads why do you need higher oil pressure than stock.. A better way to get the oil film to last that no one is talking about is to use rod bearings with no holes in them.. The hole acts alot bigger when it rotates at high rpm and rpm is what kills oil.. I think heat is a bigger enemy and oil squirters help things run cooler..

I think the fastest drag guyes runs drysumps and can adjust oil pressure as they want.. And at the hp level they run.. Nothing lasts..
Old 01-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you got a good oil that can handle the rpm and loads why do you need higher oil pressure than stock.. A better way to get the oil film to last that no one is talking about is to use rod bearings with no holes in them.. The hole acts alot bigger when it rotates at high rpm and rpm is what kills oil.. I think heat is a bigger enemy and oil squirters help things run cooler..

I think the fastest drag guyes runs drysumps and can adjust oil pressure as they want.. And at the hp level they run.. Nothing lasts..
i don't think the 800whp crowd is running dry sumps... why not head over to the drag racing forum and start a thread there, just ask what people do and you will clearly see that most run without. I know from personal experience BluePring aka IB does runs without them.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not saying that it is bad to take them off but I think it is pretty funny that no one can say why? Just that it is ok with forged pistons because they heard it or read it somewere..

The pressure is regulated in the oilpump anyway so in order to increase the presure you need to increase the sping pressure in the oilpump.

To run 9sec with your engine is not very demanding on your cooling system ether.. It is when you make the high HP work at a longer time as in the highway or curvy mountain roads or on an auto x cirkit the heats are exesive..But as I said before with around 1000hp drag cars nothing last for a long time but I think the chanse of having it last longer is greater with the squirters...

How are the cylinferwalls lubrikated if you ditch the squirters? Is there a hole in the rod big end that oil sprays up on the piston and the cylinderwalls on blocks that do not have squirters stock? Or is it just the rotating crank that throughs around some??
Old 01-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not saying that it is bad to take them off but I think it is pretty funny that no one can say why? Just that it is ok with forged pistons because they heard it or read it somewere..
I get the feeling your just trolling at this point so i am just gonna go ahead and exit this thread... I will just leave you with this one thought:

You don't need to understand the flow dynamics of a turbocharger wheel to know that a turbocharger will make your car faster... And your wrong about what you say about the pressure not increasing from plugging the oil squirters.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the movement of the crank/ rods/ pistons, along with any oil coming out of the sides of the journals, the crank case pressure, will slosh oil up on the cyl walls.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honda designed these engines to be able to live at redline for extended periods of time. If you wanted to build a road race engine that would see 6k+ for 20+ minutes at a time, i'd leave the squirters in. The reality is, not very many turbo guys are doing that.