Notices

blockguard question, exploring the limits of 91octane.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blockguard question, exploring the limits of 91octane.

main question is should i run a blockguard, im planning 20psi on pump gas, read on for details.

goal:
ive built a test motor for the sole purpose of exploring the limits of 91 octane craptastic CA gas while still using stock honda parts but low compression.

question:
i have a b16a shortblock with LS pistons and a .051" HG so my CR is around 8:1. my original plan was 300whp and i hit that pretty easy on 15psi and 91octane gas. im gonna go for 20psi on 91 octane, this is somewhat of a test motor so i wont cry if it explodes, i had to remove the head to do a valve job and guide seals, should i put a blockguard on while im there?

here are the details:
-b16a shortblock pr4 pistons, .051 hg, b16b head
-t3/tO4e bb turbo 57 trim .63 hotside, stage III exhaust wheel
-timing around 20 degrees up top, a/f 12.0
-tuned on aem ems

i know i have a lot of timing and a lean a/f but with compression that low the car loves it!

why am i doing this:
everybody complains so much about the crap gas we get here in ca, i agree it is crap, but one day i wondered how much power you can really make off it? and i thought eff it, im gonna find out and have some fun in the process my simple theory is low cr as possible as much boost as possible and give it as much timing and lean af as it can take, i honestly think it can handle 20psi with the current timing and a/f, i guess we'll see.

note: THIS IS NOT a low compression vs. high compression debate, lets not make it one.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: blockguard question, exploring the limits of 91octane. (blinx9900)

What the limits of your motor and setup are, will not carry over to other peoples builds. Too many variables. So say yours holds at 20 psi and makes 425whp, the next person with the same parts and similar tune may not get away with it...

Also, don't bother with a block guard. From what i've seen they don't really do anything. If a sleeve is going to crack, its from detonation not movement in the block.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blockguard question, exploring the limits of 91octane. (Runnerdown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Runnerdown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If a sleeve is going to crack, its from detonation not movement in the block.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats actually a great point im still gonna push the limits on pump gas, i know its not across the board, turbo size, cams, compression all play a role, thats why i listed them, its just something i need to get out of my system.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a fun/entertaining project!
Old 12-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blockguard question, exploring the limits of 91octane. (markaria)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by markaria &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like a fun/entertaining project!</TD></TR></TABLE>

so far it has been, just realized my pistons are hitting the valves im really surprised aem didnt pick it up as knock, im hoping it happend at first start up and didnt damage anything *fingers crossed*
Old 12-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the reason your pistons are hitting the valves is b/c the valve reliefs are not big enough for the vtec valves..... what you need to do is have them flycut at a trusted machine shop.....

and you hate on me about a post about gains on a intake manifold
Old 12-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blockguard question, exploring the limits of 91octane. (lsvtechatch92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lsvtechatch92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the reason your pistons are hitting the valves is b/c the valve reliefs are not big enough for the vtec valves..... what you need to do is have them flycut at a trusted machine shop.....

and you hate on me about a post about gains on a intake manifold </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the advice, i wasent hating i did answer your question though guess i may have misunderstood your exact question though.