Block isnt decked enough...solutions ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block isnt decked enough...solutions ?

Well just got a call from the Shop letting me know that the block wasnt decked enough when it came back from Golden Eagle. They told me my options were to A. Send it back to Golden Eagle, or B. Get the Inline Pro 2mm gasket...Just wondering if you guys think the 2mm gasket will seal the block, It isnt leaking that bad, just a little when it gets to full operating temperature when the car is fully warmed up...
Old 12-09-2002, 12:30 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: Block isnt decked enough...solutions ? (C-Redrum)

what does "not decked enough" mean exactly?
Old 12-09-2002, 12:32 PM

From what I understand the sleeves are sticking out too high I guess...Thanks GE
Old 12-09-2002, 12:38 PM
What is this crap?

did you order them with a stepped deck?
Old 12-09-2002, 12:41 PM

Honestly I do not know. Does Golden Eagle offer this ? You would have to talk to my tuner...
Old 12-09-2002, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe many of the GB's offered a stepped deck or the copper oring.

For discussions sake, would it be possible to use both(or is it counteracting)???
Old 12-09-2002, 01:41 PM
What is this crap?

Honestly I do not know. Does Golden Eagle offer this ? You would have to talk to my tuner...
no wonder people are having problems with GE. people with no ******* clue are sending their blocks to get sleeved.

Old 12-09-2002, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Block isnt decked enough...solutions ? (falc0n)

no wonder people are having problems with GE. people with no ******* clue are sending their blocks to get sleeved.
Well im sorry, I dont send blocks every day to Golden Eagle to have them sleeved. If I would have known this would have happened I would have researched it alot more. It wasnt even MY idea to send my block to Golden Eagle, it was my tuners. Golden Eagle assumes that everyone DOES know what they are doing and expects them to know everything you should do when you get your block back. Unfortunately not everyone knows what to do with a sleeved block. I figured they would take more precautions sending a block back to someone, but they dont. My block came back packaged in a box with my pistons in another box, no paperwork whatsoever. I myself for being a stupid *** and letting this happen, but I am learning from my mistakes, I just wish I could have more support from Golden Eagle...
Old 12-09-2002, 02:02 PM
What is this crap?

yup sorry for dropping the f-bomb on you but Golden Eagle sleeves wont ever be sold at Wal-Mart or your local fart pipe, clear taillight and sticker shop.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:06 PM

yup sorry for dropping the f-bomb on you but Golden Eagle sleeves wont ever be sold at Wal-Mart or your local fart pipe, clear taillight and sticker shop.
Yes I understood that, but do I, the average consumer, have to be aware of all these things ? No. My Tuner should be, but he hasnt ever dealt with Golden Eagle sleeves. He was under the impression that Golden Eagle takes care of everything for you. I just wish they would include a piece of paper or something that says this, this, and this must be done or checked. I am also insulted by the comment about fart pipe, clear taillight and sticker shop. My car is nothing like what you have mentioned, neither am I about things like this. I am about performance, and suttle looks. Most "riceboys" dont drop the amount of time and money into their car as I have....

By the way, the deck is off three thousands of an inch in two spots...
Old 12-09-2002, 02:12 PM
What is this crap?

I am also insulted by the comment about fart pipe, clear taillight and sticker shop. My car is nothing like what you have mentioned, neither am I about things like this. I am about performance, and suttle looks. Most "riceboys" dont drop the amount of time and money into their car as I have....
yeah i figured you'd take it personally after i posted it. it was a generalization and not aimed at you specifically.

By the way, the deck is off three thousands of an inch in two spots...
the only thing i can think of is if there is some sort of "unloading" thats happening to the blocks from when the block leaves GE and returns to the owner. some sort of internal stress relieving...

i just find it really odd that competent engine builders have no problems with GE and people making assumptions keep having problems.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your tuner should have been able to explain all this to you before hand. Is he a builder or a tuner or both?
GE's can come with either the sleeves .002 above the deck OR the sleeves level with the deck and an o-ring installed. Your tuner should have ordered this one way or the other. Ask him what he did. You are paying for his knowledge. Some of these GE stories are starting to scare me.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It wasnt even MY idea to send my block to Golden Eagle, it was my tuners. Golden Eagle assumes that everyone DOES know what they are doing and expects them to know everything you should do when you get your block back.
You need to either find a new tuner or have yours get educated. It's GE's fault that your tuner doesn't know what do with a sleeved block? I thought your problem was already found to be that your tuner used dowel pins that were too long?

Sonny
Old 12-09-2002, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Block isnt decked enough...solutions ? (Sonny)

I thought your problem was already found to be that your tuner used dowel pins that were too long?

Sonny
That was the problem, so we trimmed them. Now its just not leaking oil as much....
Old 12-09-2002, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Block isnt decked enough...solutions ? (earl)

I agree with Earl. Sleeving a block isnt just sending your block and installing some metal in there. Building the bottom end and the top end is 75% planning.
Make sure the place that is building your block is either well educated about the sleeving process or is a distributor of Golden Eagle, RS MACHINES, Benson's or wherever you get it done. I have customers that ask just to get the block sleeved for now and then do the rest later until they save more money for the pistons. I can easily take in that sale but I wont since I dont believe in getting it part by part especially when assembling a bottom end. I recommend having at least the pistons ready when you get the block sleeved so it can be honed to fit the piston at the same time. this saves time and money. This is a big investment.. so do it right.. the first time.

Wil
Old 12-09-2002, 02:56 PM
What is this crap?

I thought your problem was already found to be that your tuner used dowel pins that were too long?

Sonny

That was the problem, so we trimmed them. Now its just not leaking oil as much....
oh that was YOUR "tuner"?

you're screwed! hahaha....sorry
Old 12-09-2002, 03:11 PM

yeah it's definately time to go somewhere else.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Block isnt decked enough...solutions ? (sutrusu)

yeah it's definately time to go somewhere else.
I have no consideration that my tuner is not fully capable of building and tearing down Honda motors. He has done it for 17 years and will continue to do so, he produces championship winning vehicles and he does good work, ask anybody about Schaeffers Import Auto Care in Woodbine Maryland in the MD/VA/DC area and they will tell you the same...

Isnt this thread getting a little off topic, I asked if a 2mm Inline Pro Headgasket would seal my block and im getting criticism about my tuner....
Old 12-09-2002, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no consideration that my tuner is not fully capable of building and tearing down Honda motors. He has done it for 17 years and will continue to do so, he produces championship winning vehicles and he does good work, ask anybody about Schaeffers Import Auto Care in Woodbine Maryland in the MD/VA/DC area and they will tell you the same...
If that were the case, I doubt you'd be here asking these questions.

Isnt this thread getting a little off topic, I asked if a 2mm Inline Pro Headgasket would seal my block and im getting criticism about my tuner....
Exactly...you are attempting to bandaid the problem by installing something that you shouldn't have to install. The problem lies elsewhere and everything seems to point to the person assembling the engine.

Customer loyalty is good, but if the shop's lack of knowledge starts to take its toll on your pocketbook, time to move!

Sonny
Old 12-09-2002, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe cuz people trying to fill you in on where your problems at, but you don't want to see it. I'm not denying that you can't possibly have messd up parts.. anything can happen, but your stories about you so called "tuner" doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your head is not decked properly, a inline head gasket wont solve your problem, the deck surface is uneven,,Is the block o -ringed? If not then you can have a machine shop deck the block, Golden eagle will ask you if your machine shop intends on decking the block or do you want it ready to put in the o rings? I dont think you have all your facts straight, and just want to point fingers. Jason
Old 12-09-2002, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Block isnt decked enough...solutions ? (littlebluecrx)

If your head is not decked properly, a inline head gasket wont solve your problem, the deck surface is uneven,,Is the block o -ringed? If not then you can have a machine shop deck the block, Golden eagle will ask you if your machine shop intends on decking the block or do you want it ready to put in the o rings? I dont think you have all your facts straight, and just want to point fingers. Jason
I think you all are assuming way too much. If I wanted to point fingers, this would be another I HATE GOLDEN EAGLE thread. It is not, and I am just asking for advice and knowledgable information from other people who know about blocks being sleeved. You all are forgetting that the problem does not lie within my tuner, because the block is the problem, not something he assembled. He did not install the sleeves in my car. Im not worried about what Golden Eagle did or did not do, as you all have forced me into discussing that. This thread is getting off topic again, why cant you ask a simple question on this site and get a simple answer instead of open criticism....?
Old 12-09-2002, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a 2mm head gasket wont solve your problem, is the block o ringed? Has the head been checked for warping?By the saying notdecked enough? What is not even the sleeves? Are they higher than the deck? If they are you need to disasemble the block and have a either golden eagle or machine shop deck it, making the sleeves, and the block even.,Jason
Old 12-09-2002, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do you know that your tuner guy didn't warp the block or head when you guys used dowels that were too long. the torque from the head studs could have twisted things out of alignment. might sound far fetched but honestly it doesnt take much to warp the deck surfaces. i mean taking a head off a motor before its been cooled can throw stuff off.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You all are forgetting that the problem does not lie within my tuner, because the block is the problem, not something he assembled.
Assuming your tuner is your engine builder as well, as it seems, checking the clearances is his problem. You can't expect to just slap an engine together. Final clearance inspection on everything is the job of the engine builder, especially if that wasn't performed at the machine shop. It is impossible for golden eagle to check the main bore without the main caps. Checking the clearances is a whole nother job in itself. If they charged you and didn't do it, that's one thing. Also, golden eagle decks the blocks to have a 2-3 thousandths step on the sleeves, this aids in gasket sealing. If this is how yours is and you have problems then you need to look elsewhere for the problem. I would suggest you not post anymore complaints until you know what's going on....

Quick Reply: Block isnt decked enough...solutions ?