Notices

block guard install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default block guard install?

looking into block guard when i put in some ARP head bolts.

what i want to know is.. is it ok to install a block guard by tapping it into place and then bolting on the head? or do you need to have it welded in by a machine shop?
Old 12-14-2003, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: block guard install? (nextelbuddy)

Try pressing the blockguard in by hand first, if it won't go LIGHTLY tap it in with a rubber mallet. If it doesn't go in with a light tap, file it until it fits.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:47 PM

Default Re: block guard install? (RyanCivic2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try pressing the blockguard in by hand first, if it won't go LIGHTLY tap it in with a rubber mallet. If it doesn't go in with a light tap, file it until it fits.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldnt even use more force than your hand. File it till it fits. A rubber mallet can still force it in causing egg shaped cylinders in a few hundred miles.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: block guard install? (TeStUdO)

I do not recommend putting a block gaurd in a motor and then bolting the head on. The blockgaurd distorts the cylinder a little and could (read could, not always) cause problems later on. Block gaurds are a bandaid for a potential problem, but if they are going to be installed, the correct way is to tap it in, weld it , then bore the cylinders if necessary. Unless you are boosting over 15 psi, or reving into the 9500 + range, you are better off without the blockgaurd. I 'm not trying to scare you tho, but I wish someone would have told me before hand on my last motor.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: block guard install? (t04ecvc)

An aluminum blockguard will not distort a sleeve which is MUCH stronger and partially made out of steel. Unless of course you are pounding on it with a steel hammer. The side loading force of the piston against the cylinder wall should be greater than you lightly tapping in a blockguard. If it isn't, then you are are tapping WAY too hard.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think most of the problem is people not fileing the gaurd for fit. I have seen personally what extra side load will do to a sleeve and piston. I can't say it will happen to everyone tho, I am just warry of block gaurds now and was just passing on info.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: block guard install? (t04ecvc)

When I installed mine I just tapped it in slow and easy and it naturally sunk and settled appox 1/8 inch below deck instantly. guess I was lucky and didn't have to file.

edit: 3 years later still no problems, good compression, clean cylinder walls, doesn't overheat.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An aluminum blockguard will not distort a sleeve which is MUCH stronger and partially made out of steel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not this bs again... Dude give it a rest YOUR WRONG.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: block guard install? (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not this bs again... Dude give it a rest YOUR WRONG.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're the one full of BS with 78 posts. YOU ARE WRONG. Have you ever even installed a blockguard before? Go hit your ******* beer bong again, maybe it will make you smarter.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:23 AM

What's with the insults? I have never installed a block guard and my low post count has nothing do to with the fact that you will distort your sleeves installing it. I suggest you read through this post a few times...

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1
Old 12-15-2003, 12:21 PM

(beerbong) You have never installed or used a block guard so why do you even post. I am running the golden eagle block guard and it fit perfect.
-Alex
Old 12-15-2003, 12:56 PM

Default Re: block guard install? (Adub33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Adub33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">(beerbong) You have never installed or used a block guard so why do you even post. -Alex</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why does it matter that I have never installed or used a block guard? If you tap it in with a hammer it's going to distort the cylinders. I just thought I would correct RyanCivic2000 since he can't seem to understand that.

I have never installed or used a turbo kit on my car either... does that mean I am unable to post anything useful about turbocharging hondas? lol
Old 12-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, thats what it means. Sorry, but RyanCivic2000 knows his ****, Unless you can post proof, not what someone said in another post, then no, you shouldnt post anything usefull. I would tend to take info from someone with much more experience than you. And just so you know, I installed my block gaurd with a ******* rubber mallet (not saying it was smart or that anyone else should do it) without one problem.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:02 PM

Default Re: block guard install? (genop)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by genop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yup, thats what it means. Sorry, but RyanCivic2000 knows his ****, Unless you can post proof, not what someone said in another post, then no, you shouldnt post anything usefull. I would tend to take info from someone with much more experience than you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I think I am done with this post, it's been beat to death before and I already said what I wanted to say. I don't know why I argue about stupid block guards anyways lol. Oh and I know that someone in the other post I listed and he defintely knows his ****. I would trust anything he said about hondas and he has a lot of experiance. Check his website out man, you just might learn something... http://www.homemadeturbo.com
Old 12-15-2003, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Check his website out man, you just might learn something... http://www.homemadeturbo.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

...or you should just stick around here and learn something from us.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:31 PM

When my blockguard was installed it threw the cylinder walls off two thousandths of an inch. I had them hoaned afterwards. That was an STR blockguard.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatchback19)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchback19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When my blockguard was installed it threw the cylinder walls off two thousandths of an inch. I had them hoaned afterwards. That was an STR blockguard.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How did you install it and who measured your tolerances?
Old 12-15-2003, 08:18 PM

Default Re: (RyanCivic2000)

Machinest tapped it in, and then measured it afterwards. He builds V8 race motors so he had a pretty good idea as to what hes doing, but admiited he did very few block installs. Came out good still.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've installed numerous blockguards and i've never had a sleeve crack on any of them. All of them required a little force to get them in but I don't see how that little amount of pressure against the sleeve is going to distort it especially considering the side load pressures from the pistons that stock sleeves are designed to take from the factory.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Willis)

Here's my friend's block that I put a GE block guard. I use a rubber mallet to tap it in not forcing it in. I had to file a little and went right in. He's got close to 7000 miles and no problem so far. Knock on wood.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchback19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Machinest tapped it in, and then measured it afterwards. He builds V8 race motors so he had a pretty good idea as to what hes doing, but admiited he did very few block installs. Came out good still.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I guess he didn't realize that being .002 out-of-round is still within Honda factory specifications, and was likely not even caused by the blockguard. I would be concerned as to where he was getting the specs to build your motor. Personally I would have honed it anyways like you did, but I am **** about those kind of things.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RyanCivic2000)

A guy I know used a block guard and boosted 1.1 Bar Daily on 93 octane. Ran without any problems
Old 12-16-2003, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

As I posted earlier, i had it on two different motors. On the ls/vtec motor it ran great and held up fine. On the turbo motor tho.........ouch. I won't use another one, even though we aren't 100% sure it was the block gaurd's fault. I guess what I decided was, if i am boosting over 18psi, i need to be sleeved.

I have heard bad things about cooling issues also.
Plus, there are known bad experiences with sleeves. Just keep researching and come to your own conclusion. Its your motor, so its all up to you
Old 12-16-2003, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have b16a with a az racing blockguard flush mounted, and only had overheating after 10min. idle, blew my stock pistons on 10 psi boost, now I'm rebuilding with je/eagle/arp./cometic/super60. I used a punch to knock it an 3/8in below the deck, and re honed the cylinder, hopefully this will make a difference in cooling. I heard a lot of negative against blockguards, but most people used those restrictive ones like the nuforms, the best use is AZ, and STR. same design like the one in the picture above.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Just Drank A 5th of VODKA Dare me to drive, Ca, u.s.
Default Re: (rudebwoy)

i have rocked the block guards and they work fine, just tap it in and have it honed and you will be all good! i even ran a leaned out motor for a long time and the band aid held for longer then i expected!

Quick Reply: block guard install?