Notices

Block guard

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Bc3
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block guard

is it ok to not weld the block guard in?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Block guard

Originally Posted by Bc3
is it ok to not weld the block guard in?
It's actually recommended to not weld on Honda blocks. the block guard should pound in lightly.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would you weld a block guard in?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too was once interested in running a blockguard on my B20 setup. I wanted to make sure that it was installed properly because I had a seen a fair number of people who just "pounded one in" and later had oval shape cylinders. According to Larry at Endyn ( who I emailed specifically about this topic) The proper way to actually install a blockguard is to have the block heated to operating temp and then install a deck plate to simulate the head being installed on the block and then weld in the blockguard. I would imagine the reason for welding the block guard in is to avoid movement or shifting.

I have seen other people who just file their blockguard down untill it drops down into the water jacket an inch or two and been ok. I decided that it wasnt worth tearing the block apart just to install install a blockguard cause my engine was already in the car. Proper tuning as well as proper octane gas can go a long way IF the tunner knows what they are doing. I ran my stock B20 at 15psi on a T3/T4 for over a year and 15,000 miles before I sold it without an issue. Skip the blockguard or get the engine sleeved.

Good luck,

Blaze
Old 08-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my block gaurd is C&C custom done by gord bush performance here in toronto. 1 thou crush fit and decked block after over boaring IMO best way to go other then sleeves.
http://img207.imageshack.us/i/dscn0719lyl.jpg/
http://img341.imageshack.us/i/dscn0724.jpg/
Old 08-24-2009, 04:50 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Where is everyone getting their information from???

It is OK to weld in a block guard and it is the preferred method. You have to hand fit the guard first then have it TIG welded in ONLY ON ONE SIDE OF THE BLOCK GAURD (as well as using the skip welding technique). Full welding does not allow enough flex and could cause damage. After everything is welded you need to deck the block and hone/bore the cylinders. The welding/install could distort the cylinders especially if done improperly.

Have any of you actually used them? I have and I have never had problems when they were put in right. If you hammer them in then yes, destruction will happen.

Have any of you seen sleeve installs? For example the Darton Mid kit comes with a "block guard" already installed on the sleeves!!! They are "welded", if you will, to the cylinders. How many people do you hear having problems with sleeves in their motor from this extra material (aka the block guard)? Probably ZERO...

There are different ways to do things but just hammering them in even if you fit it is not the brightest idea. You want the block guard up high and over time if it is not secured it could start to work its way down and go into an area that it was not "fitted" for. Then you will egg shape your cylinders, or crack them for that matter, anyways.

Do your homework and stop being a cheap *** and get that thing sleeved, or for what its worth it may just be cheaper to buy a Dart block...