Notices

Block Filling...sleeving for under $100?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block Filling...sleeving for under $100?

So I just read this from another forum (link at bottom of post). Basically, they are pouring a material that cures to make a very hard material to re-enforce the your stock sleeves. They drill holes for coolant kind of like a what you see on a block guard.
Anyone try this here?
I searched, and someone talked about this. There was mention of someone making 400+whp with 200+ 1/4mile passes, and still running strong on a B16 after this method of supporting his sleeves.
Input? If it can be done properly, seems like an ok idea. Its less than half the cost of getting your block sleeved.
TIA

where I found it:
http://www.hondaswap.com/forum...63886
Old 04-11-2006, 05:44 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: Block Filling...sleeving for under $100? (NoBottleJustThrottle)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1444721

ccfab owns you. Don't do it, its not worth it.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Block Filling...sleeving for under $100? (daveG)

i believe he still cracked all 4 sleeves
Old 04-11-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Block Filling...sleeving for under $100? (komat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by komat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i believe he still cracked all 4 sleeves</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm...sounds reliable
Old 04-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Block Filling...sleeving for under $100? (kameleon23)

yea I read your link. Thanks
Basically, the devcon works in that it provides support to the sleeves, BUT it also prevents cooling to actually reach the sleeves, which makes them actually hotter than before...which make them prone to crack.
Thanks again guys...much appreciated
Old 04-11-2006, 06:08 PM

blockguards/devcon is ****** gay.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93boost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">blockguards/devcon is ****** gay.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Do you know from first had experience? Mine works great... block guard that is.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">blockguards/devcon is ****** gay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you must be right. I'm quite sure a block gaurd and an aluminum filler have sex orientation.

At least give some backbone to your post.

I will *most likely* be devcon'ing my block for the added support. I don't plan to push 16+ PSI, nor do I really plan on long road racing ventures so I think it's right up my alley. If nothing else at least it gives me some peace of mind.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:39 PM

Default Re: (jDMJeRk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDMJeRk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you know from first had experience? Mine works great... block guard that is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yours works great doing what.

im not going to write out an essay for you guys. do some searching.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (onemanlan)

I didnt read through the whole post that was posted above. Did it say that Devcon would be ok as long as you dont boost too high, and dont road race too much?
I still think that it wouldnt be ideal for me because of how much DD I do. On a week day I only do about 20 miles, but on the weekend I do 300+. I would never go above 13psi though if I did in fact do this.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:59 PM

tell me... what is the purpose of it..
Old 04-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its essentially doing what a block guard does, but instead of a thin piece of metal, its a thicker piece of metal, thus giving more support to the sleeve.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Block Filling...sleeving for under $100? (komat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by komat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i believe he still cracked all 4 sleeves</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol... i thought you were being sarcastic so I read the last few pages of the thread..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ccfab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was expecting headgasket, so i ordered a new one took it all apart and bam, cracks like a biotch</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That devcon crap is worthless if your not gonna run high power levels theres no point in trying to reinforce it.

and

Block filling is better suited to iron blocks, aluminum block /w cast iron liners are much more sensitive to this.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yours works great doing what.

im not going to write out an essay for you guys. do some searching.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine works great doing what a block guard is supposed to do. Your the one that knows everything so I wont write an essay out for you. Im glad you have been there and done this already.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:19 AM

with the amount of power people are making these days i dont see it as necessary. unless your looking for make 500+whp then go stock sleeves, no block gaurd, no filing. anything above that sleeve it
Old 04-12-2006, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jDMJeRk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDMJeRk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Mine works great doing what a block guard is supposed to do. Your the one that knows everything so I wont write an essay out for you. Im glad you have been there and done this already. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you know how many blocks ive seen that needed to be align bored because they had a block gaurd? they truely dont do anything and pooring that **** in your water jacket isnt the best of ideas either but if you want to do it...Havefun not my motor
Old 04-12-2006, 04:54 AM
i HAS questions ?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onemanlan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will *most likely* be devcon'ing my block for the added support. I don't plan to push 16+ PSI, nor do I really plan on long road racing ventures so I think it's right up my alley. If nothing else at least it gives me some peace of mind.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Read the link. From what was discussed, it hinders cooling significantly.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NoBottleJustThrottle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didnt read through the whole post that was posted above. Did it say that Devcon would be ok as long as you dont boost too high, and dont road race too much?
I still think that it wouldnt be ideal for me because of how much DD I do. On a week day I only do about 20 miles, but on the weekend I do 300+. I would never go above 13psi though if I did in fact do this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll be more than fine with a stock block at these levels.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

right ..all the surface area of the sleves for cooling the cylinders is taken away...so even if the coolant temps dont show overheating...your sleeves will be cooking
Old 04-12-2006, 06:02 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onemanlan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, you must be right. I'm quite sure a block gaurd and an aluminum filler have sex orientation.

At least give some backbone to your post.

I will *most likely* be devcon'ing my block for the added support. I don't plan to push 16+ PSI, nor do I really plan on long road racing ventures so I think it's right up my alley. If nothing else at least it gives me some peace of mind.</TD></TR></TABLE>

added support pushing 16 lbs ???? definatly not needed.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so you guys talkin bout block guard etc, when do you think you need a block guard/any of these sleeve techniques? i want to hear peoples opinions 8psi? 10 psi? 16psi?? 20psi? ?????
Old 04-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-12-2006, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D@nnY)

the DEVCON seems to have backfired on ccfab. sounds like thermal expansion or something cracked the sleeves.

a lot of cars are making high horsepower on stock sleeves.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (daveG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daveG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll be more than fine with a stock block at these levels. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You and nerdsports have said the same thing to me. So, much appreciated. I just dont want to worry about it pushing around 12psi on track days, or sometimes on the street.
At that psi, you guys think I should upgrade rods and cylinders? I know the rods are a weak link in the D16z6, but again, at those psi levels would it be that big of an issue as long as I have a good tune?
Old 04-12-2006, 09:48 AM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: (NoBottleJustThrottle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NoBottleJustThrottle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You and nerdsports have said the same thing to me. So, much appreciated. I just dont want to worry about it pushing around 12psi on track days, or sometimes on the street.
At that psi, you guys think I should upgrade rods and cylinders? I know the rods are a weak link in the D16z6, but again, at those psi levels would it be that big of an issue as long as I have a good tune?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pistons/rods and a good tune will be fine at those levels. Eagle rods will work well (they're inexpensive compared to some other manufacturers) and whatever pistons you feel like running.

Quick Reply: Block Filling...sleeving for under $100?