Notices

The Blackbird rises from the ashes - SUPERCHARGED - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Blackbird rises from the ashes - SUPERCHARGED - Build Thread

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
JRCivic1 what do you think about using this? i was thinking about using it to utilize a smaller pulley to free up boost and power lower in the rpm range.

928 Motorsports - New! Compact Boost Limiter Valve

Could you just make one with a radiator cap and neck, and build an old style pop of valve?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, great thread. Amazing job
Old 10-17-2016, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by 92cxyd
Could you just make one with a radiator cap and neck, and build an old style pop of valve?

LOL what?
Old 10-18-2016, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL what?
Old school boost control - use a rad cap or the like on an intake pipe, when pressure reaches the boost peak as defined by the spring it bleeds pressure. Want more boost in this method, increase spring pressure. Dead nuts simple. Works in this case because there's no fear of overspinning the compressor, but obviously that can happen if you use it with a turbo setup.

Used to know a guy who had this on an old Datsun he dragged religiously for several years until the engine finally let go. Seemed to work really well for him.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

OK fans, let's get back on track...

Installation of the supercharger system began like every other Kraftwerks "B" series kit, however, since I intended to use the larger C38-91 Supercharger itself, some critically important changes would have to be made. The obvious one of course would be a custom crank pulley that would accommodate a larger/wider drive belt for the supercharger because the 4-rib belt for the standard kit will NOT turn the big blower... it just slips. Being fearful of elevated blower fluid temps, I also chose to increase the capacity of the supercharger oil cooler and replaced the kit supplied cooler with a big Setrab 19 row cooler. This required a bit of moving around of the reservoir and filter in order to make it all fit. A few custom brackets later, all was in place. I chose to use a Full-Race back door style intercooler because I have traction bars on the front of the car, so running conventional style intercooler piping was going to be a challenge... especially since I already had to get an inlet pipe and filter in that area as well. This choice made the "hot side" piping a breeze... just a silicone coupler !!! Actually, it also required moving the inlet on the end tank of the intercooler itself up and angling it upward toward the supercharger discharge port so that a straight silicone coupler would work... but that is the really technical answer. For the cold side charge piping, I contacted Greg at GoAutowerks for one of his "cold side piping kits". My hope was that it would fit perfectly and I could start tuning right away. Well, I have good news and bad news... the good news is that it could all be physically installed and coupled together... bad news: the bumper cover was never going to fit over the piping on the passenger side... a HUGE hole would have to be cut in order to allow the piping to pass OUTSIDE the bumper cover and turn back in toward the tire. Aesthetically, this was unacceptable, so I contacted my friend Walker at MPFab and made an appointment to get the car to him and make the changes that were needed AND create that inlet plumbing that I mentioned above. He did a great job and I really appreciate all of his help with this project.

Here are a few pics (new camera) to show the completed install along with a few close ups of the individual components... the supercharger itself, the Setrab oil cooler and the Full-Race intercooler. The last pic is a shot of the custom crank pulley that I designed and had made for this special application.
Attached Images      
Old 10-21-2016, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a pic of the GoAutowerks "cold side" piping with my Tial "Q" BOV... you can also see the MSD Blaster SS external coil at the bottom and the placement of the supercharger fluid reservoir. The second pic is of the bespoke MPFab inlet pipe with Amsoil air filter and velocity stack. The last picture is a close up of the belt and the drive system... notice the 6-rib belt necessary to spin the large C38 Rotrex supercharger.
Attached Images    
Old 10-21-2016, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

woha
Looks georgeous
Old 10-21-2016, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also had a problem with my intercooler piping not fitting under the bumper cover and had to cut my piping to fit.. o well.

Cant wait to see the torque numbers on this beast! Was the Victor X picked out specifically for this build or did you just have it laying around? It would be intersting to see a SC Honda intake manifold comparison.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gutted-dx, do you have a Kraftwerks kit as well ??? Did you use the GoAutowerks Intercooler kit or something else ???

I have actually had the polished Victor X manifold for quite a few years now waiting for this project to come to fruition... long before choices like the Skunk2 Ultra Street or Race manifolds were available. Since I already had $$$ tied up in this, and I really didn't think the Skunk2 would make more power... I spent the cash on other needed parts.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No I have the intercooler piping for a turbo setup but mine was no where near close to fitting either.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks sweet man!
Old 10-22-2016, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dyno tuning...

Once all of the final piping had been created and the supercharger system was fully installed, it was time to see what kind of power I would finally make. The remaining 93 octane fuel was pumped out of the tank and VP MS-109 Unleaded race fuel was poured back in it's place. Motorvations Motorsports strapped the car down on their DynoJet 224 again to create the necessary tune and optimize this custom package. Motorvations Motorsports has a history of tuning the most powerful Kraftwerks/Rotrex based supercharger systems in the Country, so they were the obvious choice for me to handle this special task. The potential existed that this would be the most powerful Supercharged "B" series engine on the planet... So I knew that they could get me there if I had given them the foundation to do it. It doesn't hurt that I live about 15 minutes away from the shop either...

Conditions were definitely NOT optimum for making a big number... temperatures inside the dyno cell were just under 100 degrees F (99.38 degrees to be exact) and the humidity was high. Despite all that, the car performed flawlessly... and made record numbers despite the conditions.

Final Dyno results: 505 wheel HP and 285 TQ. !!!!!

Just for reference, the red lines are the HP/TQ numbers for the engine without the supercharger (NA) to illustrate the gains.

Below are a couple more engine bay shots and a pic of the dyno sheet. The weather is cooling off, so I think I am going to run back over to Motorvations Motorsports to touch up the tune (safe for colder weather) and see what increase in power comes from tuning in cooler, drier air. They seem to think that 530-535 HP is possible... and that won't hurt my feelings one bit.
Attached Images    
Old 10-22-2016, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lets see some vids brotha! or a walk around something lol this thing must be so wicked accelerating!
Old 10-22-2016, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am working on getting my GoPro repaired... as soon as I do, I will get you all some videos. It IS a blast to drive. I have a minor modification needed to allow greater air flow through the front bumper cover and I can do a walk around as well. I must say, driving this car puts a HUGE smile on my face. It was worth the wait.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Very nice! If it wasn't for air conditioning I wouldn't mind having one of those superchargers on my car.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottcraft
Very nice! If it wasn't for air conditioning I wouldn't mind having one of those superchargers on my car.
Only B series SC kit i know of is the Pro charger kit i have, allows for AC and PS really need to get mine retuned soon.
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-24-2016, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Only B series SC kit i know of is the Pro charger kit i have, allows for AC and PS really need to get mine retuned soon.
Now that's pretty interesting. I'm going to send you a pm.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Soooo clean! Amazing work man!

Definitely in for videos.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

very nice work. would love to do a super light rotating assembly like this on an NA setup one day. Just scared to find out what those rods cost. What was the bore? I may have missed it
Old 10-24-2016, 05:18 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Happy to read about those pursuing power unconventionally. What a beautiful build also.
Happy summer of 2017 to ya!
Old 10-25-2016, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Casey
very nice work. would love to do a super light rotating assembly like this on an NA setup one day. Just scared to find out what those rods cost. What was the bore? I may have missed it
Rods were a pretty penny... $4,132.00 plus shipping... but remember that they were a custom design. They are longer than a stock GSR rod and the pin is smaller in diameter. Crower currently advertises "B" series rods in Titanium with stock specs for around $2,600.00... that is still pricey, but a MUCH better deal than I got. I saw LS, B16A and H22 listed the last time I checked.

The bore is 84mm. This makes the total displacement a mighty 1933cc.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tyler Dirden
Happy to read about those pursuing power unconventionally. What a beautiful build also.
Happy summer of 2017 to ya!
Thank you TD... I like being different too, and this is certainly a fun exceptional example.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

would love a video for sure, thanks for sharing
Old 10-26-2016, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$4k rods? Jesus christ dude. Setup looks great!
Old 10-26-2016, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HeikDiesel
$4k rods? Jesus christ dude. Setup looks great!
Yeah, they are "over kill" for sure. It would make the same power with a standard billet rod, standard 11.5:1 piston, stock crankshaft combination... but it wouldn't rev like a Gixxer 600 !!!

Quick Reply: The Blackbird rises from the ashes - SUPERCHARGED - Build Thread