Notices

Bigger injectors with vortech FMU at low boost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger injectors with vortech FMU at low boost?

I was just wondering if i should run some bigger injectors on my b16 turbo. I am only planning on running about 5 lbs. Which ones if yes. and do the vortech FMU's have to be weighted for your car?
Old 12-04-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Bigger injectors with vortech FMU at low boost? (93civciv)

I'm running a fmu on my b16 with stock injectors on 7 psi.it pull like a ****
Old 12-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93civciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was just wondering if i should run some bigger injectors on my b16 turbo. I am only planning on running about 5 lbs. Which ones if yes. and do the vortech FMU's have to be weighted for your car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. You need something to dial down the bigger injectors so that your car will actually idle. Lets look at it this way. Injectors are rated in flow for CC/minute. Your fueling is determined by how long the computer pulses the injectors and keeps them open for. If you throw 450CC injectors into a car originally designed for 270CC injectors you're looking at getting about 70% more gasoline in at idle and part throttle than your motor needs. FMU's are designed for when you don't have the money for bigger injectors and good fuel management. Choose what you want, bigger injectors or an FMU, you don't run both.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Bigger injectors with vortech FMU at low boost? (tokes1320)

if you are running bigger injectors you need to go to a smaller recalibration kit..450c would require something like a 4:1 kit and you will still need to use something to adjust fuel trim for each rpm..

make sure you have enough fuel pressure meaning upgrade fuel pump and make sure you have an very accurate fuel pressure gauge..electric is the best.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bigger injectors with vortech FMU at low boost? (tokes1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tokes1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No. You need something to dial down the bigger injectors so that your car will actually idle. Lets look at it this way. Injectors are rated in flow for CC/minute. Your fueling is determined by how long the computer pulses the injectors and keeps them open for. If you throw 450CC injectors into a car originally designed for 270CC injectors you're looking at getting about 70% more gasoline in at idle and part throttle than your motor needs. FMU's are designed for when you don't have the money for bigger injectors and good fuel management. Choose what you want, bigger injectors or an FMU, you don't run both.</TD></TR></TABLE>

False, see my recent thread (update on old school fuel management)
Old 12-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bigger injectors with vortech FMU at low boost? (ppfalcon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ppfalcon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you are running bigger injectors you need to go to a smaller recalibration kit..450c would require something like a 4:1 kit and you will still need to use something to adjust fuel trim for each rpm..

make sure you have enough fuel pressure meaning upgrade fuel pump and make sure you have an very accurate fuel pressure gauge..electric is the best.</TD></TR></TABLE>

False as well, see my recent thread on (update on my old school management)..
Old 12-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93civciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was just wondering if i should run some bigger injectors on my b16 turbo. I am only planning on running about 5 lbs. Which ones if yes. and do the vortech FMU's have to be weighted for your car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

But to really answer you question, no you do not need bigger injectors at 5,8, even up to 10 psi in some cases..(high press in tank and inline pump usually required)

Modified by 99lspwr at 3:26 AM 12/8/2005
Old 12-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Bigger injectors with vortech FMU at low boost? (99lspwr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ppfalcon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you are running bigger injectors you need to go to a smaller recalibration kit..450c would require something like a 4:1 kit and you will still need to use something to adjust fuel trim for each rpm..
make sure you have enough fuel pressure meaning upgrade fuel pump and make sure you have an very accurate fuel pressure gauge..electric is the best.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99lspwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

False, see my recent thread (update on old school fuel management)</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's talking about idling a set of 450cc's. What are you doing with your 310cc injector FMU setup to trim down the fuel at idle? I would like to know how you can get a set of 310's or 450's to idle properly. Because I didn't see anything in your thread about how your idle was with the 310's.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bigger injectors with vortech FMU at low boost? (BlueShadow)

You need a VAFC or something like Crome or uberdata as a fuel modifier...otherwise idle will be funky and gas mileage will be shitty, you'll be running much too rich out of boost.

450cc's won't even drive
Old 12-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Bigger injectors with vortech FMU at low boost? (_gurusan_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _gurusan_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need a VAFC or something like Crome or uberdata as a fuel modifier...otherwise idle will be funky and gas mileage will be shitty, you'll be running much too rich out of boost.

450cc's won't even drive</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes I know, but I wanted to know what 99lspwr's answer was gonna be
Old 12-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bigger injectors with vortech FMU at low boost? (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes I know, but I wanted to know what 99lspwr's answer was gonna be </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry to confuse anyone...But I was trying to say that you can use both bigger injectors with an fmu with good results as I personally am doing now (referring to the thread I made) ...Now when I say larger injectors I should have stated (slightly larger) sorry...I have been fooling around with some 270s and I now have 310s currently and the stock ecu has no problems idleing them at all...A/f's are like stock once warmed up to normal operating temps (mid 14s)....I just meant that it was possible to run larger injectors in general with a stock ecu, but not 440s...Based on what I have found out, 310s are probably the max you can go before needing something to pull fuel.... Again, sorry for the confusion..
Old 12-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bigger injectors with vortech FMU at low boost? (99lspwr)

When I had my B16a with a DRAG III kit, I was running 310cc's with a 10:1 disc in the FMU - stock OBD2 ECU, no other sort of engine management. That setup put down 251 whp (I forgot the tq) @ 10-11 psi. Ran rich as hell, but hauled some ***. At that time the car was running 12.4 @ 115.

310's are the biggest I would go without any kind of engine management.

Right now I'm running 440's with a V-AFC and a 12:1 FMU and it runs fine, no problems.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:37 PM

started the car the other day and it ran perfect at 5psi. I had no problem with the idle or anything. a/f was in the middle of stoich and rich on the gauge and i was not burning much gas at all...check out my cardomain page in my profile to check out my setup...