Notices

Big power turbo D series ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big power turbo D series ?

I searched, and really couldn't find anything on 350+ WHP d series. So do you know anyone that belongs in that category? I've read in my search that two mods of this forum have turbo D's but i don't know what power they're pushig.

What is your opinion on how far can a d16z6 be taken? If you say you want full boost at 4500rpm or at least at 5k rpm.

thanks
Old 02-01-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Big power turbo D series ? (wicked2night)

prob. cause the motors blew up
bump
Old 02-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big power turbo D series ? (albert)

youll find better results at http://www.turbod16.com
Old 02-01-2005, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big power turbo D series ? (Special-Ed)

Look up TurbodCX. He has the biggest, nastiest, highest horsepower making D16 I have ever seen.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Big power turbo D series ? (DanW)

Turbod16.com was helpful but i'd still need more input. I only found out what people are going to try this season, but i'd like to know how is the setup working now.

TurbodCX is a member i suppose? I'll go looking for him.

thanks
Old 02-02-2005, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

let us know what you learn...

id like to know my sell for im building a turbo'd D as we speak
Old 02-02-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Big power turbo D series ? (HatchEh2)

ZEX Man also has a high horsepower d16z6. You don't really see that many high horsepower d-series motors because most people build b-series motors if there going for big power. You can build a d-series motor to make as much power as you want with enough money. If your goals are 350+ whp I would probably look into sleeves. You could just buy a benson sleeved block from earl for like $3,000 and you will have a shortblock that can handle anything. Then get a built head and a big fatty turbo and your set. It's really not that difficult, just costs a lot of money.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jason whitfield (spelling?) had the fastest badest d-series if i remember correctly back in the day he was in the low 10's and his mph was in the 140's. he had a gold crx with crazy paint. i know he's on this board i just don't know his user name.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:53 AM

I put down 335whp and with my turbo I could do 400whp.

I would just need a SC61 or a GT35R and turn up the boost to do more...

Just get a good sleeved block from Benson-Earl like me and your set. The D serie sleeves are weak... they move under the stress and blow headgasket. Now I never had any problem...
Old 02-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yellowturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yellowturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I put down 335whp and with my turbo I could do 400whp.

I would just need a SC61 or a GT35R and turn up the boost to do more...

Just get a good sleeved block from Benson-Earl like me and your set. The D serie sleeves are weak... they move under the stress and blow headgasket. Now I never had any problem... </TD></TR></TABLE>
holly **** man... this is great...
but..
3g's for a short block?! i know its built and all but still...its a d-series..

anyway, wheres earl located?
Old 02-02-2005, 08:25 AM

here is tha page at turbod16 with all the dynos

http://turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=4140
Old 02-02-2005, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big power turbo D series ? (FrekSdn)

My friends d16z6 turbo crx ran 13.9's on 17" enkies, full interior, and without the vtec hooked up @ 10psi....so theres some numbers to look at.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big power turbo D series ? (skaterguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ZEX Man also has a high horsepower d16z6. You don't really see that many high horsepower d-series motors because most people build b-series motors if there going for big power. You can build a d-series motor to make as much power as you want with enough money. If your goals are 350+ whp I would probably look into sleeves. You could just buy a benson sleeved block from earl for like $3,000 and you will have a shortblock that can handle anything. Then get a built head and a big fatty turbo and your set. It's really not that difficult, just costs a lot of money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with bbka most people that are willing to drop that kind of money into a motor will just do it in a bseries..i personally plan on staying with a D series since i could build it really nice for the price of a swap honestly i dont see why everyone swaps..go to the FI FAQ there is a thread with a bunch of SOHC setups i think one is in the 500s
Old 02-03-2005, 01:20 AM

Default Re: (yellowturbo)

yellowturbo:

What turbo did make the 335WHP?When do you see full boost? What head gasket are you using?

Thanks guys for the help, i feel like i'm getting somewhere.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Big power turbo D series ? (FrekSdn)

There is only one half way interesting setup there, i don't want to spray to get 400 WHP.
Thanks for the link, and morre help is greatly apriciated!
Old 02-03-2005, 10:24 AM

Well what do you want to know? Your goal is 400whp? Daily driven or mostly track driven? Give us some goals and we can help you.

If you want 400whp and your going to be beating it hard, it's probably a good idea to go with aftermarket sleeves. Stock sleeves could probably be done, but I would want extra insurance. Defintely rods/pistons of course and maybe a cam with some headwork. For the turbo a decent size t3/t4 would get the job done or a nice GT series ball bearing turbo if you want really fast spool. Good fuel managaement and tuning and you should be set. Don't forget stuff like a good clutch, exhaust, suspension, LSD, etc...

Modified by beerbongskickass at 7:39 PM 2/3/2005
Old 02-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Big power turbo D series ? (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you want 400whp and your going to be beating it hard, it's probably a good idea to go with aftermarket sleeves. Stock sleeves could probably be done, but I would want extra insurance. Defintely rods/pistons of course and maybe a cam with some headwork. For the turbo a decent size t3/t4 would get the job done or a nice GT series ball bearing turbo if you want really fast spool. Good fuel managaement and tuning and you should be set. Son't forget stuff like a good clutch, exhaust, suspension, LSD, etc...</TD></TR></TABLE>

very well said
Old 02-03-2005, 10:38 AM

i wouldn'y do anything above 325hp on stock sleeves. THats just me personally. I would much rather build it correctly the first time and be set for at least a small time if i was streeting the car.

One fellow on turbod16.com was making 500 with a ton of lag and the huge blowzilla turbo.

If i were to do it i would be going with a GT bearing turbo as bbka suggested. THey are expensive, but they rock hard core.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Big power turbo D series ? (snoochtodanooch)

I will be building my d16z6 this year. At first I wanted 400+ whp and was going to go all out with aftermarket sleeves, gt-series turbo and all that, but I don't really feel like spending that much on my car right now. Now my goals are probably 300-350whp and I plan on doing it with stock sleeves. I am just going with some rods/pistons, then I also plan on getting a cam and making a nice custom intake mani and doing the headwork myself with the help from a friend. This will be a somewhat budget build up copmared to going all out with really expensive parts. It should get me into the 11's no problem and keep me happy for at least this year.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:20 AM

bbka you could probably help me since you had similar plans.

The head wil be only polished, i don't see the benefits of potring, or i don't think it would make a great difference. I'll go with ferrera valvetrain and i'm thinking on getting the exhaust valves oversized. I belive that i should focus on getting the gases out of the motor as good as i can. I'll look for a crower oz a zex cam, and for now i'm thinking on getting the AEM cam gear. Intake mani will be most likely costum made. Do i need the aftermarket fuel rail? What size injectors would you suggest? I thought on the RC 750.

The bottom end will be build, sleeves, pistons, rods,bearings, head studs, gasket ( wich gasket to get?)

Fuel managment: AEM EMS, will i need anything else for ignition control,like MSD 6al?

I'll need some axels, but haven't searched on them yet.
Also any clutch suggestions?

I missed something for sure, but now you have a better picture.

Hope you can help guys!
Old 02-04-2005, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Headwork is the best thing you can do to a D series.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Big power turbo D series ? (Aquafina)

About the headwork, i don't have anyone here that would have experience with head work. So if i wanted somethnig crazy i'd be forced to ship my head to the states and back, and that gets expensive. The other way is to do it my self, at least i have a spear head and i might get another one.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:05 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wicked2night &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">About the headwork, i don't have anyone here that would have experience with head work. So if i wanted somethnig crazy i'd be forced to ship my head to the states and back, and that gets expensive. The other way is to do it my self, at least i have a spear head and i might get another one. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i agree with what you are saying. I haven't seen anyone get great gains from p&p and the like with turbo. I would get a turbo cam, better valve train in general, a big turbo, built bottom end should be enough for you goals. I wouldn't even bother with the oversized valves, that can get a little tricky and come somtimes fool with characteristics of the engine. Simple and strong is good.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big power turbo D series ? (snoochtodanooch)

im building a mini-me on boost mated to a z6 tranny. i should be done by spring break (saving, getting parts, putting together)

heres my setup (on a real tight budget):
-b7 bottom end w/ stock internals until i can get a z6 bottom to build w/ out car down time
-z6 head (just received from 5.0killa, &lt;--good guy to do business w/, he also has a boost kit for sale)
-z6 tranny (im trying to find the d15b tranny instead for the LSD)
-IHI turbo
-97 Dx exhaust manifold w/ a flange welded on
-custom down pipe and charge piping (mendrel)
-small side mount intercooler
-X's BOV
-Y8 IM
-Nology Hot wires w/ BOSH 4+ spark plugs
-stock injectors controlled by the Greddy blue box to operate w/ the added boost
-ARP head studs
-stock cam and valve train

afterwards i plan to get a z6 bottom w/ pistons and rods before i turn up the PSI

Im hoping to reach around 160-170whp with the b7/z6 setup
and
250whp w/ the z6 bottom and 450 DSM's
Old 02-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

port and polish has GREAT solid gains... IF DONE RIGHT

if done by some local "just get it done" shop fooling around with a grinder then it can actually decrease power! it'll mess up the way the air flow is.

It all depends on the shop/mechanic doing the machining

Quick Reply: Big power turbo D series ?