Notices

bewm biatch....pics of a blown up d series inside

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bewm biatch....pics of a blown up d series inside. High comp+boost owns me.

last thursday night, my buddy in his k20 eg coupe, another friend in his 06 STi, and another dude with an LS-VTEC CRX were cruising around looking for races....i ran the STi and for some reason the hatch wasn't running as well as usual and he got me by about half a car. We got on the highway and did some highway runs for a while, and i hit 7500rpm in 4th, then shut it down. We got off the highway to turn around and do it again. As I was getting into the throttle, I noticed a slight knock that at that time I thought was a rattle....I got off at the next exit and everyone followed me.

We all pulled into a gas station, and I popped the hood just to check everything out. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from and all of the sudden it wasn't making any noise...so I revved it up to about 3k and held it there. Sure enough, it was knocking. We let it cool off then I attempted to get it home. Keep in mind, i was about 26 miles from home.

45 minutes later we finally hit the road, and I stayed out of boost, and kept it under 3k. About halfway home the knock was really pronounced. To make a long story a bit less long, after 24.7 miles, it finally let loose. I started losing oil pressure, so i just downshifted to 4th and got into boost. Ching ching ching BOOOOOOM LOL. I left a smoke screen, chunks of metal and 5 quarts of oil on the highway LAWL. My friend in the k20 eg said the smoke was so thick that he had to pull into another lane and slow down to 10mph to see and avoid being hit by chunks of my bottom end. luckily it was about a mile from my house.

We finally got the car back to my house and yanked the motor out. It through the rod through the girdle and out the bottom of the pan, taking a chunk of sleeve out with it. 2 other bearings ended up being spun. So much went wrong that i'm not sure what caused what....but i think i bent the number 4 rod, and it just got worse from there (i had oil pressure almost the whole way home, until that last little stretch).

I already have another motor ready to go in, and my ported, polished head with valvetrain and cam wasn't damaged

Im just glad that it lasted for 9 months with 10:1+ compression and boost.

and now for the pics

BLACK = HOTTTTT

[

JDM-Tizzite posing

cheap head gasket, diesel oil, and fro oh my!

my beautiful ported head

aaannnnd a few pics of my buddies coupe thrown in for good measure. JDM pose FTW

/thread

Modified by drtysohc at 10:08 PM 11/15/2006
Old 11-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bewm biatch....pics of a blown up d series inside. High comp+boost owns me. (drtysohc)

nice carnage, I love looking at carnage
Old 11-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bewm biatch....pics of a blown up d series inside. High comp+boost owns me. (ProjectDarkBlack)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectDarkBlack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice carnage, I love looking at carnage </TD></TR></TABLE> i figured it was worth sharing....one of my buddies that has blown up a **** ton of motors said that he was suprised by how much **** went wrong lol. I've always been known for being able to tune well enough that my motors don't blow up (this is the first one in almost 2 years)...but there comes a point when parts just get fatigued and fail...and this is a perfect example
Old 11-14-2006, 11:52 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: bewm biatch....pics of a blown up d series inside. High comp+boost owns me. (drtysohc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drtysohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I started losing oil pressure, so i just downshifted to 4th and got into boost. Ching ching ching BOOOOOOM LOL.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now maybe I missed something, but why in the hell would you do that haha? That's almost sig worthy haha
Old 11-15-2006, 01:38 AM

Default Re: bewm biatch....pics of a blown up d series inside. High comp+boost owns me. (AF-P Dunc)

quote above

so he wouldnt ruin the head from loss of oil pressure
Old 11-15-2006, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bewm biatch....pics of a blown up d series inside. High comp+boost owns me. (spoolinegsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoolinegsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">quote above

so he wouldnt ruin the head from loss of oil pressure</TD></TR></TABLE>

Or you could *gasp* turn the car off.

Are those the stock D16 rods?
Old 11-15-2006, 04:18 AM

Default Re: bewm biatch....pics of a blown up d series inside. High comp+boost owns me. (Djaric)

He downshifted to increase the carnage.

I can follow the progress of the destruction. This was nothing more than a spun bearing. Bearing spins, heating up the rod and causing the tick. Rod end eventually gets hot enough that it stretches into an oval, leaving room for the rod to rattle around on the crank.

Hit boost, rod fractures at the big end, ejected out oil pan taking girdle with it. Rod jammed by crank into the sleeve, bent and broken, with the seperated part also ejected through the oil pan. The rest of the bearings and rods take damage due to twisting the crankshaft. You're just lucky that the rod went down instead of up.

I
Old 11-15-2006, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bewm biatch....pics of a blown up d series inside. High comp+boost owns me. (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He downshifted to increase the carnage.

I can follow the progress of the destruction. This was nothing more than a spun bearing. Bearing spins, heating up the rod and causing the tick. Rod end eventually gets hot enough that it stretches into an oval, leaving room for the rod to rattle around on the crank.

Hit boost, rod fractures at the big end, ejected out oil pan taking girdle with it. Rod jammed by crank into the sleeve, bent and broken, with the seperated part also ejected through the oil pan. The rest of the bearings and rods take damage due to twisting the crankshaft. You're just lucky that the rod went down instead of up.

I</TD></TR></TABLE>mine went up piston hit the head
Old 11-15-2006, 08:06 AM
BCICAN

Default Re: bewm biatch....pics of a blown up d series inside. High comp+boost owns me. (Djaric)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoolinegsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so he wouldnt ruin the head from loss of oil pressure</TD></TR></TABLE>

As stated above, he could have turned it off pulled over and towed it home. That way instead of annihilating his entire bottom end, he would have saved a lot of time and money. Well good luck with the rebuild I guess.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bewm biatch....pics of a blown up d series inside. High comp+boost owns me. (AbitAvenger)

I would have shut the car off. That way you could have slavaged the block.

But that's just me.

Nice carnage pics though.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why shut it off, its just a d series blocks are a dime a dozen, finding one without a spun bearing, or shot rings is another story. To be honest, even if it got into the head I wouldn't have been that upset, I have another one hanging out in the garage somewhere. The most that i'm going to have to spend is 200 bucks to get another short block, and thats if I get screwed. Most people around here sell running motors for around that.

and yes, it was a completely stock bottom end.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bewm biatch....pics of a blown up d series inside. High comp+boost owns me. (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He downshifted to increase the carnage.

I</TD></TR></TABLE> It may have been a spun bearing, but I had normal oil pressure right up until the motor completely failed, which is what let me to believe that it wasn't a bearing. D series are notorious for bending rods and still running for a while....and even running somewhat normal at certain RPM's. bah, whatever, its over now. I just need to put it back together now, im having boost withdrawls
Old 11-15-2006, 08:25 AM

good work.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:27 AM

Default Re: (drtysohc)

In my country, you are well respected. Swapping a motor with a spun bearing is never as fun as swapping the one you made your bitch.

Bonus points for the carnage pics.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How many punds of boost/horsepower were u making?? What were u tuned on??
Old 11-15-2006, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stealthmode62)

Nice to see that everyone isnt a puss, i was going to do the same thing to my car at the track but couldnt even make it to the water box before my **** let loose.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrbigg9032)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbigg9032 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How many punds of boost/horsepower were u making?? What were u tuned on??</TD></TR></TABLE> not sure on power, but it was on 8psi for a long time, I turned it up to about 12 for a while, then back down to 8. At the time it blew up it was roughly a mid-low 13 second car, so i'd guess mid 200's on power. I tuned it on uberdata 9 months ago when the turbo kit was put on, but re-tuned it about 4 months ago on crome....and I constantly tweak the tune depending on weather and so on. Tuning wasn't an issue, It showed no sign of detonation, and the a/f was perfect.

You guys have to keep in mind that this motor was a ******* bitch. It had seen 9k rpm's more than a handful of times, and I regularly shifted at 8....and it still ran for a long time. On the motor, shifting around 9k rpm the car went 14.6 at 9X.XX. After it was boosted, i probably dropped a second and a half off my ET, but never went back to the track to get numbers...but it had no problem taking on LS1 fbodies (and k20 coupes, reed )

The next motor that goes in it is just going to be something to get my by until i get my topmount gt35r PMITR project done
Old 11-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (urbansi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by urbansi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice to see that everyone isnt a puss, i was going to do the same thing to my car at the track but couldnt even make it to the water box before my **** let loose.</TD></TR></TABLE> exactly, if its going to go, you might as well make it go big.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stealthmode62)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> In my country, you are well respected. Swapping a motor with a spun bearing is never as fun as swapping the one you made your bitch.

Bonus points for the carnage pics. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol

carnage pics

it never seems to matter when it's a d-series. but someone blow their built b-series, they're gonna have a cow. lol
Old 11-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (undercoverdc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undercoverdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol

carnage pics

it never seems to matter when it's a d-series. but someone blow their built b-series, they're gonna have a cow. lol</TD></TR></TABLE> I told my friend that was riding in the passenger seat "as long as it doesn't get into the head, I don't give a expletive what happens..." and we both laughed as it popped.

Funny story, I had to take a crap when we started our journey, and when it blew up i literally almost shat my pants.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:02 AM

sweet man........if you dont have "the shelf" yet, you've got a few things to start with
Old 11-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drtysohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Funny story, I had to take a crap when we started our journey, and when it blew up i literally almost shat my pants. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol

Could have gone without hearing that detail.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drtysohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> exactly, if its going to go, you might as well make it go big.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hilarious
Old 11-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bewm biatch....pics of a blown up d series inside. High comp+boost owns me. (ProjeKt)

lawl at the ricer comment. you're a ****. care to elaborate on how i'm a ricer? My car is quieter than most stock mustangs of fbodies, and doesn't have anything ricey on it....not to mention the fact that I drive like a sane person 99% of the time....but I guess the fact that I blew up a $100 motor makes me a ricer.

tell me, Mr. Ricecop...how many cars have you built, or tuned? In the past year i've had, built, and tuned 2 turbo hondas (one of which was a bone stock looking EK sedan...it was ricey as expletive...stock exhaust and all.), and a 70 camaro strip car all in my garage....buuuuuttt, the camaro is getting an aluminum rice wing and i'm going to go dorifto on the streets of Kansas City dur. Thats not even going into the cars that i've helped build and have tuned.

No wonder I purposely had my old account deleted 2 years ago. I should have never come back...this site has nothing but negative comments.

Modified by drtysohc at 3:34 PM 11/15/2006
Old 11-15-2006, 02:30 PM
official honda whore

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drtysohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No wonder I purposely had my old account deleted 2 years ago. I should have never come back...this site has nothing but negative comments.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont go and do that just because one persons a dick lol, if it was that way i woulda quit posting on here 5 years ago haha

nice carnage and goes to show ya that d series are fun fast and cheap!!

Quick Reply: bewm biatch....pics of a blown up d series inside