Notices

Best turbo for non-vtec?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best turbo for non-vtec?

I've got a 94 LS with about 100k miles on the motor, just put in brand new axles and replaced all the ball joints while I was in there. I also put in a six puck clutch, pressure plate, and 8lb flywheel, and am about to start piecing together a turbo set-up for myself, but have a few questions.

First, I'm looking to run close to 250hp, and was wondering what the best turbo would be to use with my setup. I've heard about using turbos from first gen eclipses, but havent really heard much else about it.

My friend also has a stock WRX turbo (he upgraded) and I was wondering if that would be a good choice or if I would even be able to use that.

And lastly, is a catchcan necessary for my kind of setup, or no?
Old 02-28-2007, 02:28 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Best turbo for non-vtec? (Blacklabel182)

For 250whp, the smaller T3/T04E or T3/T04B hybrid turbochargers. Personal preference is the GT3251E for that type of hp, though it really depends upon your goals and future plans for the engine in the future. Make sure that all maintanence has been performed prior to getting the equipment that you will build the kit with. It is not wise to go with a turbocharger that is maximized at the hp that you're looking for.

Here's an example.

This was at 10psi
Old 02-28-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Best turbo for non-vtec? (TheShodan)

I've been putting some thought into it and I think my goal of 250hp is about where I'm going to stop at for a good amount of time.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

t3/t4 57 trim with a .63a/r will be perfect. Thats what i run on my stock ls and i make about 265whp.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best turbo for non-vtec? (WillisGS)

we are running a T3 60trim from a Ford Turbo coupe. spool up around 2500-3000. and put down around 250whp. should have a steady 250whp, with a manifold that isn't cracked, and 13psi of boost. PS, we get around 35mpg on the highway.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Best turbo for non-vtec? (Snail Tuning)

what model/year ford? and where did you find a flange?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:18 PM

Modified by De_tour at 4:48 PM 3/25/2007
Old 02-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TheShodan is a smart guy.....the GT3251E is a great turbo and a slight variation on the GT3255B that i ordered from him a week ago....
Old 03-01-2007, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blacklabel182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what model/year ford? and where did you find a flange?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i belive it is from a 86 or an 87 ford thunderbird turbo coupe. its a standard T3 flange. the mustange svc had a similar turbo but it was smaller, and the merkuer xrt7 or whatever it is had a similar turbo. you have to watch tho because some came with a 42trim, and some came with an ihi wich has a totaly different flange. the the biger t3 60trim was cheap and has proven very reliable. the exhaust flange just uses a standard 3bolt flange.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Snail Tuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we are running a T3 60trim from a Ford Turbo coupe. spool up around 2500-3000. and put down around 250whp. should have a steady 250whp, with a manifold that isn't cracked, and 13psi of boost. PS, we get around 35mpg on the highway. </TD></TR></TABLE>

were you getting the 35mpg before you installed the turbo ? also can you do the math to prove to me that there was a gain in mpg after a turbo was installed ? im asking because turbos dont really gain you more mpg they take away about 10% even when not in boost because then your motor is acting as a rgular N/A motor an the turbine is acting as a small restrictive device like a cat would oh an dont say that the turbo is atomizing the intake charge cause think about it if your not boosting theres no atomizing going on now is there
Old 03-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best turbo for non-vtec? (tony413)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

were you getting the 35mpg before you installed the turbo ? also can you do the math to prove to me that there was a gain in mpg after a turbo was installed ? im asking because turbos dont really gain you more mpg they take away about 10% even when not in boost because then your motor is acting as a rgular N/A motor an the turbine is acting as a small restrictive device like a cat would oh an dont say that the turbo is atomizing the intake charge cause think about it if your not boosting theres no atomizing going on now is there </TD></TR></TABLE>

out of boost our car cruzes at 14.7a/f. i have a picture of the perfect wave pattern from it bouncing from 14.7-15.0a/f. because of the tuning, not the turbo, our car can achive 35mpg highway. we live in wooster, and its a 2hr highway drive to columbus, and 3hr drive to ohio University (athens ohio). my buddy averaged 35mpg on his trip to conlumbus, and around 33 from columbus to athens. and the same on his trip back. (strait trip from Athens to Wooster.) befor the turbo we ran the stock p75 ecu. after the turbo we ran a tuned map on Uberdata. the car is a 95 DX coupe, with no pwr steering or a/c from the factory. so its fairly light and the ls trans is great on the highway.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Id prolly say a sc44, just because my friend had one on his ls power hatchback an it was very responsive.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:51 AM
D-t
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Snail Tuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we are running a T3 60trim from a Ford Turbo coupe. spool up around 2500-3000. and put down around 250whp. should have a steady 250whp, with a manifold that isn't cracked, and 13psi of boost. PS, we get around 35mpg on the highway. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, I would love to put down 250whp on 13psi of boost on my stock block LS. I know tuning has a lot to do with it, and I'm confident in my tuner.

But now I'm thinking that I might have a 42 trim because my exhaust housing is a 5 bolt, and not a 3.

How much more psi do you think I would need to make 250whp? I want to tune for about 15-16psi, and run 10psi daily. I wanted about 250whp-275whp, but don't know now, lol.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:37 AM

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best turbo for non-vtec? (D-t)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D-t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Damn, I would love to put down 250whp on 13psi of boost on my stock block LS. I know tuning has a lot to do with it, and I'm confident in my tuner.

But now I'm thinking that I might have a 42 trim because my exhaust housing is a 5 bolt, and not a 3.

How much more psi do you think I would need to make 250whp? I want to tune for about 15-16psi, and run 10psi daily. I wanted about 250whp-275whp, but don't know now, lol. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i wouldn;t recomend running 15-16psi on a t3 on an ls. its going to be pushing that turbo, and it will make the engine very hot. also our turbo has a 5bolt outlet and then it has the internal wastegate housing. the watsegate housing is a 3bolt outlet. your turbo should have the trim printed on the compressor housing. a 42 trim would be way to small. our 60trim is even alittle small. but we were hoping for a solid 230-250whp, and we got that. a better manifold, and a T3 BB super 60 and this thing would be a rocket ship
Old 03-03-2007, 09:01 PM
D-t
Trial User

^^^

So no running 15psi on that turbo?

Oh well. I know mine has printed 60 on compressor / 63 on exhaust housing. Hopefully it is a 60 trim. Mine isn't internally gated though. It's got the weird 2 bolt intake and outlet on the compressor, kind of like a wg flange almost.

You think I'll be safe just running it max 15psi? I want power, power dammit, lol.

I'm thinking in terms of power, but maybe 230-250whp I'm underestimating and I could easily beat many cars on the road? This is in a full interior LS btw.

Oh well I guess I can always run the t3 for the time being, and save for a t3/t4. I'll already have everything anyway. Will just need to tweak some stuff around.

Thanks for the help Snail Tuning
Old 03-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the same turbo we are running, go to a junk yard and look for the wastegate housing for one. it converts the exhaust outlet to a standard 3bolt and makes installation very very easy.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:05 PM
D-t
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Snail Tuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats the same turbo we are running, go to a junk yard and look for the wastegate housing for one. it converts the exhaust outlet to a standard 3bolt and makes installation very very easy. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh I See. Good then, I'm glad it's the 60 trim. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:30 AM
D-t
Trial User

Snail Tuning: What do you think would be the "most" psi you would tune for on a b18b motor on that turbo?

I want to go as high as I can go, just so I know I can raise the boost when I want to. And I won't have to go back for tuning, and waste more money.

But I also don't want to tune too high in which then I'll be blowing hot air, and not really making that much more power anyway, and risking danger to my motor..?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D-t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Snail Tuning: What do you think would be the "most" psi you would tune for on a b18b motor on that turbo?

I want to go as high as I can go, just so I know I can raise the boost when I want to. And I won't have to go back for tuning, and waste more money.

But I also don't want to tune too high in which then I'll be blowing hot air, and not really making that much more power anyway, and risking danger to my motor..?

Thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

D-t you gotta get out of this "how much psi" thinking. You were already starting very well with a hp goal, and a responsiveness goal. Stick with that, and not so much this "how much PSI?" jazz. IF you want to be able to utilize more power later, with say a change in internals or a VTEC head, than plan for that, and not just for the immediate NOW factor of choosing a turbo. Seriously consider what you're going to use it for. Too small of a turbo may be responsive, but will create a lot more detonating-inducive heat later when you plan to use more boost. It's not a set number, but your egts, air fuel, and IAT, will tell you the truth of what happens. Don't junkyard this. Plan your budget, and think accordingly. That way you'll like the setup now, and a couple of years to come.

Modified by TheShodan at 1:44 AM 3/12/2007
Old 03-11-2007, 06:25 PM
D-t
Trial User

Default Re: Best turbo for non-vtec? (TheShodan)

^^ Yeah, I understand.

I just want to see what other people had experienced with this turbo on a stock b18b. I'm just trying to extract the most power out of that turbo safely without creating too much heat.

Heck my friend runs a ko3 (stock) on his vw 1.8t at around 22-24psi..yes. He's running the dahlback(sp?) chip. That turbo is small as heck, and he has no front mount neither.

That aside, I understand it's a different engine, and platform, but I just wanted to see what people's experiences are. To be honest with you I'm shooting for around 275whp, but I don't know if this turbo will get me there without creating too much heat. And I'm sure to get there with this turbo it's going to take at least 15+psi. So it might be a farfetchd goal w/ this turbo, at least in terms of safety and reliability regarding Heat issues.

I'm just amazed at how my friend runs his ko3 without a front mount at that boost pressure.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my stock ls put down 265hp and 211 tq @10 pounds on a hondata s200 tuned drag turbokit
Old 03-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Either you guys are doing some experimental tuning that I don't know about, or I'm just not tuned the way you guys are. I'm running CROME Pro on my 95RS, B18B Greddy turbo kit, 310cc injectors with a walbro HP fuel pump. How the heck are you guys getting 33-35mpg? I was getting 33mpg before I did my turbo, and I'm only pushing 6.9 psi, 200whp. Now I'm getting 26mpg. I still have AC and PS on my car. Here's a link to my car and at the bottom is my dyno sheet. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2545373/1
Old 03-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're planning to toss a K03 on your LS....dont waste your time. I think that's what you were referring to in your last post.....those things are so ridiculously small that the effort of building a setup is just not worth the gains you'd see w/ that little bugger
Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 AM
D-t
Trial User

Default Re: (Schister66)

Na Schister66 far from it, lol. I was just referring my friend who has a k03 stock on his VW 1.8t and he pushes around 20-21 psi sometimes spikes to 24psi out of that small *** thing w/ no front mount neither.

My goal is around 275whp with a t3 60/63 like snail tuning was running. But I don't know if I can reach that whp with that turbo, and If I could I know it would probably take at least 16+psi. Now 16+psi out of that turbo is probably pushing some serious heat? So I was asking on a b18b with that turbo, i know power etc. varies, but would what be a good amount of boost not to go over? I don't want to sacrifice blowing heat into my motor for a measly 5whp, because it's just going to stop creating power and blowing heat.

I know a lot of people are saying it's not about psi it's about power. But I'm asking a totally different question. If I start off with a gsr or b16a engine, obviously I'm going to create more hp on the same amount of boost than an LS, so my question is different. Sry if I don't make sense. Thanks for the help though.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're planning to toss a K03 on your LS....dont waste your time. I think that's what you were referring to in your last post.....those things are so ridiculously small that the effort of building a setup is just not worth the gains you'd see w/ that little bugger
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also I realize that someone might make more power on a certain boost level than someone else. So they might reach their goal while the other person needs to boost a couple more pounds but blowing more heat. So I'm trying to see if anyone has experience with the t3 60/63 on a b18b to see what they would consider a maximum safe level psi while still making power up to, and not creating too much heat

Quick Reply: Best turbo for non-vtec?