Notices

THE best place to oil turbo from?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (drealgsr)

you think that screen can filter particles that are on the micron level like a real oil filter can? honestly... that filter on the vtec soleniod doesn't catch squat. if you have stuff in there... you're motor is having some serious issues.

What is it that an oil filter attempts to to filter out. well, it attempts to filter out the particles that are a result of friction between moving parts. Now i ask you this... Where is the friction occuring inside an engine's oil galley that would contaminate the oil when it passes from the block and then to the head?
Old 02-21-2002, 10:59 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (SEFI8LOxCivic)

yada yada yada! This is a stupid argument! My weekend has started so I'm gonna go have some beers and laugh at the people who use the VTEC spot as an oil feed for a turbo! Have a good and safe weekend peeps!
Old 02-22-2002, 06:22 AM
New User

Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (drealgsr)

I think the real problem is that most people think pressure = flow here (meaning they clearly have never examined a compressor map).

Yeah you can get plenty of pressure to an oil gauge through a couple of pinholes, but hook up an actual FEED line and start letting that oil out, and the pressure will drop drastically. You may see plenty of pressure from the VTEC solenoid spot but I have serious doubts of how much flow you can get outta there.
Old 02-22-2002, 07:13 AM
New User

Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (dbman96)

AAAh! so what is the deal? I have posted a similar ? https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=133539 also. I too would really like to know where I could tap oil for the turbo considering that i am already using the oil pressure sending unit. Please somebody answer.

Help!
Old 02-22-2002, 08:38 AM
New User

Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (b20b)

Put a Tee fitting at the oil pressure sending location and use that. Ideally you should run a flexible line from that location TO a tee so you don't have all that weight hanging on the fitting. If you've got another pressure sender, put another tee on. Since pressure senders don't use any flow, you can chain 'em up all you want and it won't effect the oil supply to the turbo.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Everyone can doubt it all they want, or make some hypthetical arguement as to why it wont work. But the bottom line is that is does work. And nothing you guys can come up with can refute that. Frankly, it doesn't really matter what you guys do cause I could honestly care less. Some of you guys need to open your eyes, just because some people don't do it the "honda-tech" approved way, doesn't mean that its wrong.

btw... the only thing worse for the turbo seals than too much pressure is too much volume. exactly why you don't want to run an oil feed line thicker than the one supplied in the drag kit.
Old 02-22-2002, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally think that by enlarging the hole in the VTEC selonoid a little, sufficient flow could be brought to the turbo.

DID anyone look at the numbers I posted? Prolly not. The flow requirements are VERY LOW.
Old 02-22-2002, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (HXMan)

if you guys are so set on tapping of the head, why dont you use the port on the head, under the distributor ?
Old 02-22-2002, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I you follow the oil gallaries on the back of a Block you will see that the oil at the pressure sending unit is filtered. There is a larger diameter gallary that goes from the oil pump to the filter which is right behind the smaller gallary that the sending unit is on. I am planing on putting a needle valve on my feed line to reduce the pressure. I have a gauge hooked up to it now and it is showing 75 PSI most of the time. I wanna see 40 psi max.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:16 PM

Ideally you should run a flexible line from that location TO a tee so you don't have all that weight hanging on the fitting.

this is the best idea. i had mine on a tee coming out of the block, and in a week or so, it was leaking, from the weight and the vibrations.

i think i posted this on the other thread, but i actually had my oil pressure guage hooked up to that vtec port for a few weeks before i had the right fittings to do it off the back, and if i remember correctly, it was very close to zero until vtec kicked at, at which point it shot up to 100 and then leveled out to around 70-80 psi. judging from what corky bell was quoted as saying in that earlier post, this seems like a bad place for an turbo's oil feed. just my $.02

and tom, great post>
Old 02-22-2002, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (D-SPEED)

if you guys are so set on tapping of the head, why dont you use the port on the head, under the distributor ?
I am not familiar with that port....anyone have a pic of it?
Old 02-23-2002, 04:21 AM
New User

Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (HXMan)

I think I understand what you guys are saying. So from the oil pressure sending unit, tap from there for the main line that enters into the head.(This line is currently a flexible line) Before it enters the head, tap into with a "T" and run that off for the turbine? Not sure, but is that what you are saying? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2002, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what is wrong w/ using the port under the distributor cap? i'm going to use that spot as suggested by VTEC4GS, he had a daily driven 10-11 sec hatch. i think the man might know what hes talking about!
Old 02-23-2002, 07:49 AM

I think I understand what you guys are saying. So from the oil pressure sending unit, tap from there for the main line that enters into the head.(This line is currently a flexible line) Before it enters the head, tap into with a "T" and run that off for the turbine? Not sure, but is that what you are saying? Thanks.
thread a short ss line into the block where the oil pressure sender used to be. then at the end of that, use a tee...one line for the oil pressure sender (or guauge, or both, if you split it again) and the other line runs to the turbo.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:22 AM
New User

Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (downpipe)

thread a short ss line into the block where the oil pressure sender used to be. then at the end of that, use a tee...one line for the oil pressure sender (or guauge, or both, if you split it again) and the other line runs to the turbo.
Actually, I already did that. I had to tap that line for the Head.(B20B w/GSR head) I'm not sure where to tap oil for the turbo. I tapped off of that line, but my Vtec doesn't engage. Not enough oil pressure. So i'm trying to figure another spot to tap oil for the turbo. Any ideas?
Old 02-23-2002, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (89civic1.8T)

I don't know what everyone is looking at, but on my D16, it very much looks like the sender gets oil after the filter.
Old 02-24-2002, 03:42 PM
New User

Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (superfastCRX)

anybody? I would really like my vtec back.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

although i had a turbonetics (crap), i oiled from the sender also. i had 75 psi when the car was cold at idle. when warm it would hit 80-85 psi @ 7000 rpm. this is obviously too much oil pressure. as the turbo blew oil out the seals from day one. i eventually put in a hks restrictor. dont know if this helped the seals were fucked from day one. on the new project i will be tapping off the sender but i will have the restrictor in place. i have read to drill it out to 7/32 or so. i am going to run the car with the oil return line into a can and measure the amount of oil flow. if its too low then i will drill, if not then we will know how to set the oiling system up....
the restrictor is only about $18.00 with bolts and gaskets.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (lbz34)

the restrictor is only about $18.00 with bolts and gaskets.
where did you get yours ?
Old 02-24-2002, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (D-SPEED)

the restrictor is only about $18.00 with bolts and gaskets.where did you get yours ?
id love to know too...
Old 02-25-2002, 07:17 AM
GTM

Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (2000_Civic_Si)

The ONLY correct place for your turbo oil feed line is from the oil-pressure sending unit at the back of the motor, next to the oil filter.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (GTM)

The ONLY correct place for your turbo oil feed line is from the oil-pressure sending unit at the back of the motor, next to the oil filter.
why
Old 02-25-2002, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (GTM)

what makes you such an expert to define an absolute term like ONLY?
Old 02-25-2002, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what makes you such an expert to define an absolute term like ONLY?
Because he has 1 post already on H-T!
Old 02-25-2002, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: THE best place to oil turbo from? (dustin)

I get the restrictor from a shop here in town. It is called ST. ANDRES. Paul (owner) ordered me one last year for my crx. it took a month or so to come in but i did get it. you guys can give him a call. (505)294-1515, just ask for paul. tell him sean sent you. i dont know if he has a website, never looked. i do know st. andres is based out of cali. oh yeah it is from HKS.

Quick Reply: THE best place to oil turbo from?