Notices

BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm interested in boosting my 99 Si. but the more research i do the more i find that it's hard to stay street/smog legal in CA. I'm interested in the greddy 18g kit (mostly because it's a street legal bolt on), but are there any other kit's/setups i should consider. Not looking to make CRAZY power, but good runs maybe 13's.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup (Delano5050)

Street legal there is no such thing in Cali...lol...Either way if you get pulled over cops will give you a trip to the ref even if you show the carb legal tag.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:11 PM

Default Re: BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup (DxTrix)

lol.....seriously....it does feel like nothing is street legal in CA.

What does everyone who lives is CA run?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup (DxTrix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DxTrix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Street legal there is no such thing in Cali...lol...Either way if you get pulled over cops will give you a trip to the ref even if you show the carb legal tag.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep - welcome to california. The cops dont know anything, all they know is its modified and will send you to the ref so they can verify its legal...

Just dont attract attention to yourself, drive the speed limit, and dont give the police a reason to pull you over and you'll be okay though. Been driving my illegal turbo civic in california for years now and havent had a problem yet! You dont bother them, they wont bother you.

liam
Old 10-13-2006, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup (liam821)

try that in san jose.. they will get u a hard time even though u aint doing anything stupid.. they see it lowered, they see exhaust.. its over.. state ref all day long..
Old 10-13-2006, 01:48 AM

Default Re: BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup (liam821)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yep - welcome to california. The cops dont know anything, all they know is its modified and will send you to the ref so they can verify its legal...

liam</TD></TR></TABLE>

cops in san jose know their ****..i know, ive been there , they got me for my turbo, injectors, wastegate, bov and what shocked me was that he came to the conclusion that i had cracked ringlands bc my car was smoking a bit
Old 10-13-2006, 06:31 AM

Default Re: BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup (Deluzional)

I believe the greddy kit is street legal
Old 10-13-2006, 07:23 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup (adseguy)

What if you guys had your car registered in a different state? I'm not saying this would be logical or possible for some, but what if you did? Would you still have the same problems with the police since other states allow this type of thing?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:41 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup (Dc4turbo408)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dc4turbo408 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try that in san jose.. they will get u a hard time even though u aint doing anything stupid.. they see it lowered, they see exhaust.. its over.. state ref all day long.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh yeah, definately San Jose. I lived near there when I had my greddy kit on my EM1 back in 2000. I even had MI plates, and they STILL pulled me over. But they made excuses about my front blinkers not being Amber at the time. Sillyness..
Old 10-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup (TheShodan)

The Edelbrock 1501 Turbo kit for the 2000 SI is nice, It comes with a GT28RS turbo, 4 extra fuel injectors and it will make 220 wheel HP. Also it keeps your stock AC and Power steering.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup (AF-P Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AF-P Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What if you guys had your car registered in a different state? I'm not saying this would be logical or possible for some, but what if you did? Would you still have the same problems with the police since other states allow this type of thing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know on the eastcoast that if you are driving through another state that you are at the mersy of that states laws and does'nt matter what your states laws are... I've seen that go for window tint, and other bs, as far as turbo kits and other modds, I don't know. I do know that if you fight your out of state ticket, they will drop it automatically.(tint, exhaust, etc..., because it does matter that your out of state, the cops like to send you to court) But if you were speeding, of course your screwed.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:38 AM
BCICAN

Default Re: BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup (Mugencrxsir1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugencrxsir1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I know on the eastcoast that if you are driving through another state that you are at the mersy of that states laws and does'nt matter what your states laws are... I've seen that go for window tint, and other bs, as far as turbo kits and other modds, I don't know. I do know that if you fight your out of state ticket, they will drop it automatically.(tint, exhaust, etc..., because it does matter that your out of state, the cops like to send you to court) But if you were speeding, of course your screwed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like that's a possible solution. Just "sell" your car to a family member that lives out of state or something and then have them register it while you are the "primary operator" haha. If they ask you where <U>your</U> car is, then just tell them you ride the bus when the family member wants their car back haha.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugencrxsir1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But if you were speeding, of course your screwed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I found this out the hard way. An Atlanta bitch straight up lied about my speed in order to screw me hardcore. I had to get a lawyer and pray that it was reduced (while not even being from that state). $1000 and 4 months later I finally found out that my license was not going to be suspended in GA for 6 months over an offense I didn't not even commit haha. Only thing is, Ohio would have recognized GA's court decision.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AF-P Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like that's a possible solution. Just "sell" your car to a family member that lives out of state or something and then have them register it while you are the "primary operator" haha. If they ask you where <U>your</U> car is, then just tell them you ride the bus when the family member wants their car back haha.

Yea I found this out the hard way. An Atlanta bitch straight up lied about my speed in order to screw me hardcore. I had to get a lawyer and pray that it was reduced (while not even being from that state). $1000 and 4 months later I finally found out that my license was not going to be suspended in GA for 6 months over an offense I didn't not even commit haha. Only thing is, Ohio would have recognized GA's court decision. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You should of filed a complaint with that counties police department that same week/day of the ticket. That way you would of had the upper hand on that bitch screwing you, if you know the law, you can f*ck the system right back!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just went through the C.A.R.B. website and I found three.

Edelbrock Performer X
Greddy
HKS USA

Old 10-13-2006, 09:39 AM
BCICAN

Default Re: BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup (Mugencrxsir1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugencrxsir1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You should of filed a complaint with that counties police department that same week/day of the ticket. That way you would of had the upper hand on that bitch screwing you, if you know the law, you can f*ck the system right back!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, yea I didn't think to do that. I just wanted it to get the hell out of that state and done with it.
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-13-2006, 09:57 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thesmogman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just went through the C.A.R.B. website and I found three.

Edelbrock Performer X
Greddy
HKS USA

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sooooo....Those are the only one's huh? THANK YOU!
Where did you find that websight? And which HKS kit?
the edelbrock X kit is nice.....a bit expensive $$$$ though.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the HKS here is all that is listed:
The Honda Turbocharger Kit includes the following main components: Garrett turbocharger with no waste gate and a 6 psi. maximum boost, in-line ECU electrical modification to increase fuel flow at boost conditions, open element air filter, and an exhaust connecting pipe with an oxygen sensor fitting, similar to the OEM configuration.

This website has all CARB approved parts and modifications.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/a...y.php

Your welcome

Old 10-13-2006, 04:04 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!
this whole thing seems so complicated.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Delano5050)

i was thinking to go with turbo in my prelude but the cops in sacramento, CA just want to screw u when they see u have something under the hood or muffler, with out questions they will send u to ref.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Delano5050)

i was thinking to go with turbo in my prelude but the cops in sacramento, CA just want to screw u when they see u have something under the hood or muffler, with out questions they will send u to ref. and im not sure ill pass ref with turbo kit
Old 10-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (russlan44)

as far as registration goes your car fall under the laws where your car is registered, i know i am in the military so i move alot. i currently live in CA and am registered in WA, no way my car would ever pass smog and you can forget about inspect. but cops can look but that is about it
Old 07-22-2021, 05:35 PM
Trial User

Default Re: BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup

Hi I was wondering if Greddy kit is still legal in CA. I have a 1998 integra type r and I want to make it faster but I have no idea how to do that except turbo charge. I am very new and barely got the car. I am currnetly 18 please help me.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by castrooo
Hi I was wondering if Greddy kit is still legal in CA. I have a 1998 integra type r and I want to make it faster but I have no idea how to do that except turbo charge. I am very new and barely got the car. I am currnetly 18 please help me.
As far as I know the Greddy kit is still legal in CA. They are difficult to find though. There is also all-motor which can be fast for your Type R. You can make over 200 horsepower to the wheels just doing an all-motor engine rebuild. Or if you find a Greddy kit, you can do that also. If I had a Type R I’d do all-motor though.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:05 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by highschooler
As far as I know the Greddy kit is still legal in CA. They are difficult to find though. There is also all-motor which can be fast for your Type R. You can make over 200 horsepower to the wheels just doing an all-motor engine rebuild. Or if you find a Greddy kit, you can do that also. If I had a Type R I’d do all-motor though.
wow I didnt really expect a reply, yet you did and within an hour or two, well I dont really know what an all motor build is, based on my research its when you reduce the weight of your car? Or other people said that it mean no “power adders” like nitro oxide, etc. i am new to the car community and I am willing to learn. Thank you for your respond bro!
Old 07-23-2021, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by castrooo
wow I didnt really expect a reply, yet you did and within an hour or two, well I dont really know what an all motor build is, based on my research its when you reduce the weight of your car? Or other people said that it mean no “power adders” like nitro oxide, etc. i am new to the car community and I am willing to learn. Thank you for your respond bro!
All motor means no nitrous oxide, turbocharger, or supercharger is used. People do try to reduce the weight of the vehicle so it has a better power to weight ratio- usually the lighter the vehicle is, the better the acceleration, braking, and corner handling it is.
With all motor, usually the engine is built with certain cams, high compression pistons, valve springs, better intake manifold, exhaust manifold/header, bigger throttle body, and better connecting rods, as well as other machine work to the engine. If you already have the Type R, you’re in luck because they already have a good engine in it.
I suggest that you read through some of the build threads on the all- motor forum, and the builds on the forced induction forum to see which way you want to go. With the Type R, since they are so valuable, I’d do an all motor rebuild if it were me. They are expensive cars…

Quick Reply: BEST CA Legal Turbo kit/setup