Notices

Bensons or GE sleeves?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bensons or GE sleeves?

I know lots of guys on here have these and in the coming weeks, I WILL be ordering one or the other.

I've heard of slipping from the GE, but have not heard of many bad things from the NEW stuff Benson is putting out.

I am not concerned with boring out to 84.5 or anything like that, prolly just gonna do 81.5 on my B16 and be done with it.

I am torn between 0x64's GE block in classifieds, or sending mine down to Earl for Benson to re-do. Down time is not a problem, as I just got dumped with another 10cm of snow today, so the car will be parked for sometime anyways.

Thanks in advance guys,

Todd.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bensons or GE sleeves? (Turboteggy)

BENSONS >>>> Send to Earl ASAP....Why don't you call him Call 949-400-0334
Old 01-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bensons or GE sleeves? (mamaboy)

shameless plug for Benson and Earl
Old 01-11-2004, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Bensons or GE sleeves? (g2turbo)

I went with Benson. They are very nice, and I have no worries about them. They wont win a bling competition though, they don't look beefy or outrageous like other companies. Mine are bored out to 84mm, and the sleeve thickness is about the same as the stock sleeve and water jacket combined. They are just a straight, no hassle sleeve that you wont have to worry about.

The new GEM sleeve looks promising, and you can get them for like $750 installed, which is 3/4 the price of Benson.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:58 PM

absolutely and if you've seen them in person you understand why. BE-U-T-FULL
Old 01-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Trial User

instead of just peoples opinions or judging the block on how bling bling it looks. any actual reasons to go with one over the other?
Old 01-11-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Bensons or GE sleeves? (Bob-DC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bob-DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">instead of just peoples opinions or judging the block on how bling bling it looks. any actual reasons to go with one over the other?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats a VERY hard question. A majority of the sleeves available are all very good (sleeve wise). I think your question comes down to the way the sleeves are installed. Sure, any machine shop can bore the stock sleeve away, and press a set of dartons in, but would you trust your investment to those standards?
Old 01-11-2004, 01:14 PM

benson. only becauser i gave ge a try and they fucked up royally where i had to get sleeves reinstaklled due to them leaking. Benson looks legit and very profesional and i dont think they have had any bad cust yet.....not liek GE.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:49 PM

BENSONS the way to go
Old 01-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Banned

Default Re: Bensons or GE sleeves? (johnsona)

Benson.... Earl is the man
Old 01-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bensons or GE sleeves? (InfamousRS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by InfamousRS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats a VERY hard question. A majority of the sleeves available are all very good (sleeve wise). I think your question comes down to the way the sleeves are installed. Sure, any machine shop can bore the stock sleeve away, and press a set of dartons in, but would you trust your investment to those standards?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Right on point. Which is them most important part of any motor, the machinist doing the work on it.
Of the two I'd go Benson's because that's what I have. More importantly, the only problems that I have ever heard of came from the time when Dan had 6 guys working for him that he couldn't keep track of, the downside of growing a business. He fired them all except one and now is back to working on them and doing final inspection himself And this was over two years ago, There are so many benson sleeved blocks out there that if there were going to be problems they would have long since arisen. Keeping in mind how long they've been around

Modified by CRX-RX at 6:19 PM 1/11/2004
Old 01-11-2004, 02:59 PM

I suggest and use GE only!

Old 01-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bensons or GE sleeves? (ekb18c)

both good IMO, but i would get benson.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Bensons or GE sleeves? (-iLLuZioN-B18C1)

Personally i would recommend Darton, or Benson(who uses custom Darton sleeves). I've never delt with GE so i cannot give them my support do to lack of experience, im sure they can do great work. Darton sleeves ive seen used many times and never once have seen a problem, though im sure someone else has. Benson's process is amazingly thorough, and im confident you will find no other that is up to his standards, or for the prices he gives. From the look of the work, i would think that Benson sleeving processes are superior to most if not all other companies in respect to Honda motors. Good luck
Old 01-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bensons or GE sleeves? (Distorted)

IMO since i have never seen benson sleeves..i would go with GE...they are so so nice
Old 01-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Bensons or GE sleeves? (InfamousRS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by InfamousRS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats a VERY hard question. A majority of the sleeves available are all very good (sleeve wise). I think your question comes down to the way the sleeves are installed. Sure, any machine shop can bore the stock sleeve away, and press a set of dartons in, but would you trust your investment to those standards?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the reason why I asked that was because most of these type of threads are all just "IMO" stuff
And the people who form their opinions are sometimes just formed off of posts on h-t, and the person taht posted on h-t just read something about some other guy.

that is why I asked about actual differences instead of who is buddy buddy with earl or whatnot.
you shouldnt buy a sleeved block just cause earl is da man. there is obviosly more reasons, but people just say "earl is koo" or vince is koo

alot of how reliable the block will be is from how they are installed then prepped. but that still leaves a can of worms open for interpetation IMO.
cause not all sleeves are created equal. and there is a decent amount of machine shops selling blocks with cheap sleeves that are not installed idealy and selling them for 800+
Old 01-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bob-DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
alot of how reliable the block will be is from how they are installed then prepped. but that still leaves a can of worms open for interpetation IMO.
cause not all sleeves are created equal. and there is a decent amount of machine shops selling blocks with cheap sleeves that are not installed idealy and selling them for 800+</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah that's kinda what I'm asking. My last block was done by http://www.leitnerperformance.com and it was ***. I'm sure you guys have heard they're crap sleaves, but oh well, I learned the hard way. Wanna make sure I don't do the same mistake twice.

It will likely be Bensons, but 0x64's post in classifieds is not a bad deal either.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 01-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bob-DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alot of how reliable the block will be is from how they are installed then prepped. but that still leaves a can of worms open for interpetation IMO.
cause not all sleeves are created equal. and there is a decent amount of machine shops selling blocks with cheap sleeves that are not installed idealy and selling them for 800+</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's just it, alot of the sleeves are created equally, well almost. One is not going to be immensly stronger over another, as far as tensile strength is concerned. It just comes down to the quality of the install and machining. Most who are serious and care to find out will do some research. Earls thread on the Benson sleeves is a great place to start. Sooner or later you're bound to find out the difference between machining and sealant

P.S. - I haven't used anything but benson's, but would like to give an honorable mention to RS and AEBS
Old 01-11-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not meaning to hi-jack but what about RS Machines
Old 01-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quik sol)

My GE hold 540 whp just fine.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedb20vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedb20vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My GE hold 540 whp just fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you using the godzillas or the new HD's.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (yimmy)

Who has the best warranty benson or ge??
Old 01-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ki11a8ee)

Golden Eagle
Old 01-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Bensons or GE sleeves? (CRX-RX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX-RX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that's just it, alot of the sleeves are created equally, well almost. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I disagree. alot of small shops all across the country who arent online prolly use no name brands

all the big names that are on this board do alot of business, but they dont do all the business

tehre are still shops using **** sleeves and arent installing them correct

im just saying people should pay attention to what they buy and find out what kinda sleeves are being used, and how they are being installed
Old 01-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went with benson's but the car isn't up and running yet so couldn't tell you from experience.

Quick Reply: Bensons or GE sleeves?