Notices

Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help

Fellow members of H-T,

I for one realize that it is virtually impossible to please everyone.

I feel as though I have given a fair bit to our commmunity of high performance tuners and I am asking for your help to give a little bit back.

Some of you know me, some of you don't. That's ok.

The situation is:

I wrote a book called "Building and Tuning High Performance EFI Systems" last year as a supplement to help people get a primer on EFI info before either taking one of our EFI University classes, or going off on their own to learn more.

The book has done fairly well but recently I became aware of some jerk trying to make trouble by posting this review on Amazon.com:

Reviewer: Randy Rasmussen "Micro Image's opinion" (So. California. USA) - See all my reviews

In short, this book sucks! Instead I suggest you buy: "How to Tune and Modify Engine Managements Systems". It's a shame they don't have a "0 star" ratings.

First, the book was never intended to become a $15 school of tuning on a subject that has taken myself and many many othersthousands of dollars and thousands of hours of hard work to learn. Shame on you for trying to cut corners.

Second, if you bought it and didn't care for my writing style, or you are too advanced for such rudimantary basics, thenfair enough, but why is there a need for such blatantly abusive reviews such as this one about Jeff Hartman's book called "How to Tune and Modify Engine Management systems":

Xlint book. I was very impressed on how well written it was. It was intelligent, concise and full of very usefull information. I was glued to every page! Although no book can hold your had from start to finish on your specific project, this one gives you the background and confidence to do it yourself. Even the paper used is of a high quility, glossy type... ahhh, the little details

I would however stay away from: "Building & Tuning High-Performance Electronic Fuel Injection" by Ben Strader. In short, it sucked! The only real value I got out of that book was under the one short leg of my coffee table. It was of almost ZERO value.

If you don't like the book, fine. No hard feelings...but to go way out of your way and make a review of another book on a similar topic {on the same day, even} and bash mine is unacceptable behavior.

Obviously this guy has some personal beef with me personally or he's got a hard-on for Jeff's book, {which is quite good by the way} and he thinks he can make it end up on the NY Time's best seller list by bashing other books.

Either way, I really don't care what the issue is.

What I'm asking is this:

If you have been to an EFI 101 course, and or read the book, please go and post an honest review of it here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...books

You may or may not like it, but at least by giving an honest assesment of your experience with the book you will give someone else a better shot at making an educated decision about whether or not to buy the book.

Thanks for all your support past, present and future.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:05 PM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (EFIGUY)

...we got your back Ben
Old 01-21-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (bruceleeroy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bruceleeroy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ...we got your back Ben</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-21-2005, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (11psiTurboSI)

Damn, the negative aspect of the internet rears its ugly head.

What a shame...but a true individual such as yourself will always prevail.

to Ben
Old 01-21-2005, 04:21 PM
In-N-Out Burger

Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What a shame...but a true individual such as yourself will always prevail.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-21-2005, 04:23 PM

After next week (Redmond WA. Class) I will do a positive write up for you and purchase your book.

Just your post about a year ago on here has saved my *** several times. I built a spread sheet from it and use it all the time when tuning.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (RA166E)

Thanks so much guys,

You always know you can count on H-T members for support!

-Ben
Old 01-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, I was ******* around on Amazon a couple weeks ago and saw those reviews...and I was thinking, "Man, Ben must have fucked that guys sister back in the day or something."
Old 01-21-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (Suprdave)

yeah those guys must have some sort of bias.....after attending the 101 class i was in a trance or in aww for a week straight.....learned more about tunning in 8hr's than i had in 2 years of hearsay and internet talk.

as far as i know strader isnt a profesional teacher.....yet the information was articulated and explained so well it seemed he had been teaching all his life...better than 9/10 average teacher's ive had...

big ben strader and efi101

eric
Old 01-21-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (maveric)

Review added...

I hate seeing good people have to deal with this shyte. Atleast at the end of the day everyone with an open mind to check it out will benafit from it and those who don't wil suffer....
Old 01-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (Alstare)

You know, i've been to a couple classes and even an engine dyno session with you Ben, and I still haven't learned a damn thing. The book probably does suck...

Just kidding! Ben is one of the few people who I feel i've truly learned alot from. I hope to continue learning from him...
Old 01-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (tony1)

Being that those reviews are subject to personal opinion, and even the most likable people will have at least one person who for whateevr reason doesn't like them, is it really an issue?

I've done lots of reading on the EFI101 forum and I've learned alot from Ben's explanations on theroies and such, but we all know it's impossible to please everyone right? I'm just wondering why Ben seems so bothered? In any event, I'm oredering a copy of the book myself.. can never have enough good material to read

To Ben, lord of the EMS
Old 01-21-2005, 08:13 PM

will this book be useful if I'm tuning with uberdata? is it only information on specific EMS or it covers all of the tuning theory and practice?

thanks.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (birz)

Might help a little when it comes to tuning Uber...you'd be better off going to the actual class though.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by birz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will this book be useful if I'm tuning with uberdata? is it only information on specific EMS or it covers all of the tuning theory and practice?

thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Better than steak

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just kidding! Ben is one of the few people who I feel i've truly learned alot from. I hope to continue learning from him... </TD></TR></TABLE>
I too hope to learn from the both of you.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (Arturbo)

I tried writing a good review for you Ben, but it ended up asking me to verify my name with a credit card. My wallet is too far out of reach and I have a knee injury, so....

I'll try again tommorow
Old 01-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (Boltz)

Some guy named Earl gave it a good rating
By the time H-T users are done, that guy is going to be real sorry he said that stuff..hehe
Old 01-22-2005, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (earl)

Eek. Always wanted to pick me up a copy of this book. Sometime soon enough.

Sounds like an interesting book to read indeed. But yes, I will definately support and purchase me one. Wont hurt to learn a little more with Tuning etc.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (synik)

post your reviews
Old 01-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

****** haters

arrest 'em Earl
Old 01-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (Deckedlude)

hmm, I tried to post a comment too and it didnt work.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (Arturbo)

takes 24 hours on comments, I think.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:21 PM
D-t
Trial User

I was wondering, as I wanted to take an EFI class, but there isn't going to be any around my area.

I am going turbo soon, and also Uber. I was wondering as a beginner like myself if this book is good to grasp some tuning techniques? I will be street tuning. Is the information in the book to hard for a begginer, or does it outline the basics, and easily able to understand?

Old 01-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help (D-t)

Ben's book, as well as his class, is about the fundamentals of tuning. It doesn't specify any certain brand or anything (though the book has some insight to what a few manufacturers offer). Once you understand the basics of fuel injection, what does what and why, then you can tune any system. They all work the same (for the most part, tec 2 and tec 3 are just weird ) and it's just a matter of becoming familiar with the software. Don't expect to get any book or class (outside of a manufacturer provided class) that will explain step by step on a particular system. If you know how and why things work, you can handle the rest from there. The info Ben provides is much more important and beneficial than a specialized class on a certain system would ever be. This stuff will help you for life in anything fuel injection related that you do. In case you can't tell, I give both the book and the class
Old 01-22-2005, 05:49 PM
D-t
Trial User

Cool, thanks. I guess I should pick this up then.

Quick Reply: Ben Strader {EFIGUY} asks for your help