Notices

Bad Turbo rebuild or something else?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Turbo rebuild or something else?

Whats going on guys? Im running a b18c with a AFI bottom mount turbo kit and a BW s362. I just last month sent my turbo back to Borg Warner to be rebuilt. I've literally driven the car 15 times since putting it back on. And i mean just driving to work, not even dragging it. I added a catch can and thought it was overflowing and spraying oil everywhere. When really my blow off valve was spraying the oil everywhere. I pulled the filter off of my compressor housing and it was clean as can be. So i pulled my charge piping off the left side of my intercooler and find unburned oil pooled in the bottom of the intercooler. Correct me if i'm wrong, but the only possible way for this to happen is that the turbo is bad right? Could anything else have gone wrong? What would make this happen to a brand new turbo? I'm using a -10an return with no kinks. I'm just very confused how this could happen so quickly. Any thoughts or comments would be great...
Old 04-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bad Turbo rebuild or something else?

What oil pressure are you seeing at the turbo, and what does BW recommend the pressure to be at ?
Old 04-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

didnt someone else have this issue after sending a turbo back to be remand several times? i thought i saw a thred like that, check to make sure there are new parts in the turbo
Old 04-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont have an oil pressure gauge at my turbo...however I am using the the the correct size feed according to BW. I'll have to call BW tomorrow to see what they have to say. I just figured i'd get some thoughts on it from you guys in case I was missing something.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Could also mean the return line is causing a backup. Call borg.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive always been concerned about my return line. The distance from the turbo to oil pan is so short that I ended up using a 90 off the turbo and into the oil pan. Thats the only way i could get no kink in the hose. This is using AN fittings and stainless steel braided line. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to go straight from the turbo to pan with no kinks? I'm thinking possibly barbed fittings and some type of more pliable hose?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SpoolnG2
Ive always been concerned about my return line. The distance from the turbo to oil pan is so short that I ended up using a 90 off the turbo and into the oil pan. Thats the only way i could get no kink in the hose. This is using AN fittings and stainless steel braided line. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to go straight from the turbo to pan with no kinks? I'm thinking possibly barbed fittings and some type of more pliable hose?
Barb straight coming out on turbo side, male AN bung welded onto oil pan with -10 fitting. I'm sure its a drive, but you're in Illinois, come down and take a look at my setup. Its almost the same as you described, it was short and tight ( tight enough that I had to use a lot of strength to bend the hose to slip onto the barb, but once it slipped on, its pretty much a perfect slope into the oil pan. If I can get it on the lift and take a picture I will for you, just been busy with the new baby.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So your still using a stainless steel braided hose? Just a straight AN fitting on the oil pan side and no AN fitting on the turbo side? You just used a barb fitting off the turbo and slid the hose on?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 AM

That is the majority of your problem right there, as with all oil backups. You can use a braided line using a 45 degree to angle the line off to the side slightly and run it back to the pan. Never use a 90 degee AN off of the oil return flange. Easiest way to cause backups, and unnecessarily send your turbo off for "seals that blew" misdiagnosis.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got off the phone with Bill from BW. I told him exactly how my oil return was and all the other information he asked for. He told me it was most likely a faulty ring inside or one that didn't want to seal, based on the amount of oil and where it's coming from. So he said to send it in and they will take a look / take care of it under warranty. I would however like to change up my return line just for peace of mind. In your opinion would it be better to run a 45 off the turbo, loop it around a little and then have it go into a 90 at the pan? Or run a straight AN fitting off the oil pan to a barb fitting off the turbo?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got off the phone with Bill from BW. I told him exactly how my oil return was and all the other information he asked for. He told me it was most likely a faulty ring inside or one that didn't want to seal, based on the amount of oil and where it's coming from. So he said to send it in and they will take a look / take care of it under warranty. I would however like to change up my return line just for peace of mind. In your opinion would it be better to run a 45 off the turbo, loop it around a little and then have it go into a 90 at the pan? Or run a straight AN fitting off the oil pan to a barb fitting off the turbo?
I had to run a oil restrictor going to my turbo. It's a Percision with a 3an feed line
Old 04-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm gotta ask, are you dealing with bullseye turbo, or borgwarner ? Big difference in the two companies.

So your still using a stainless steel braided hose? Just a straight AN fitting on the oil pan side and no AN fitting on the turbo side? You just used a barb fitting off the turbo and slid the hose on?
Still using stainless hose, I'm using a female plate on the turbo, with a barb fitting threaded in. On the oil pan side, I welded in an aluminum bung, and used and AN fitting.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 AM

I wouldn't use ANY 90 degree anywhere on that system. go either with the 45 degree AN (recommended) or go barbed with a rubber line if you must. Either way, don't use a 90 degree at all.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by keving85
I had to run a oil restrictor going to my turbo. It's a Percision with a 3an feed line
Borg Warner turbos do no use oil restrictors. They are supposed to see anywhere from 60-80psi of oil pressure according to BW.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90blackcrx
I'm gotta ask, are you dealing with bullseye turbo, or borgwarner ? Big difference in the two companies.

Still using stainless hose, I'm using a female plate on the turbo, with a barb fitting threaded in. On the oil pan side, I welded in an aluminum bung, and used and AN fitting.

Sorry, Yes i'm talking to "Wild Bill" from bullseye turbo. Is your barb off of the turbo straight or a 45? Also, are you using a straight or 45 coming off of the oil pan? Those pics would be great if you did get the chance. It sounds like our manifolds are very similar and put the turbo is almost the same place.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I wouldn't use ANY 90 degree anywhere on that system. go either with the 45 degree AN (recommended) or go barbed with a rubber line if you must. Either way, don't use a 90 degree at all.
Understood, the new return line setup will utilize only straight or 45 degree fittings.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, Yes i'm talking to "Wild Bill" from bullseye turbo. Is your barb off of the turbo straight or a 45? Also, are you using a straight or 45 coming off of the oil pan? Those pics would be great if you did get the chance. It sounds like our manifolds are very similar and put the turbo is almost the same place.
Its straight off the turbo and straight off the oil pan, I do have work tomorrow so I just need to remember.

As for the turbo rebuild.... lol I sent one back to bullseye and had nothing but issues.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/general-discussion-debate-40/experience-bullseye-beware-2689184/
Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Luckily I've had good experience with him so far. I really hope this next turbo I get is good though.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 90blackcrx
Its straight off the turbo and straight off the oil pan, I do have work tomorrow so I just need to remember.

As for the turbo rebuild.... lol I sent one back to bullseye and had nothing but issues.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2689184
I understand you need to inform about the risks with dealing with businesses and such, and 99% of the time, that's pretty appropriate. But as a matter of principle, as much as I thought the incident should have gone MUCH more smoothly, I think your incident was completely isolated, and wouldn't necessarily represent what a general warranty rebuild issue would involve. I get the fact that you didn't deserve the result, but its kinda over now (or isn't it?) Why bring up old ****? Don't go down that road... You're better than that..

Just my observation from one business professional to another. *shrug*
Old 04-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I understand you need to inform about the risks with dealing with businesses and such, and 99% of the time, that's pretty appropriate. But as a matter of principle, as much as I thought the incident should have gone MUCH more smoothly, I think your incident was completely isolated, and wouldn't necessarily represent what a general warranty rebuild issue would involve. I get the fact that you didn't deserve the result, but its kinda over now (or isn't it?) Why bring up old ****? Don't go down that road... You're better than that..

Just my observation from one business professional to another. *shrug*
Figured I would mention it because the guy seems to be having an issue with the rebuild and I know of one other company that also had the same exact issue as the original poster is having ( fjt distributors is the other company ) . Now I'm not saying its the rebuild, but I figured the poster should at least know that other people are having the issue with rebuilds that are being done by the company.

Spoolng2 I forgot to take the pics, I'll try to remember tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI...it was sent in as a rebuild. When they got it, they said that something had to of gone through it that made it touch down on both sides and that I needed an new center section. What ended up happening though is that he said he gave me a whole new turbo minus the compressor cover. We reused mine since I already had a AN fitting in it that I wanted to reuse. So would this technically be classified as a rebuild? or just a faulty turbo? Not to sure myself...

And thanks 90blackcrx ..I appreciate it
Old 05-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I sent the turbo back to bullseye to have them take a look as to what was causing my problem. Turns out upon the original building of the turbo an o-ring was pinched. Which in turn allowed the oil to slip by and get into the compressor and shoot it through. The o-ring will be replaced and turbo sent back to me first thing monday morning..no charge of course.