Notices

b18c stroked to 2.0 still pass smog?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 06:10 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c stroked to 2.0 still pass smog?

here's what i'm looking to get:

2.0L B18C
Iron Sleeves
IB Spec Wiseco Pistons, JE pistons, or Arias Pistons.
Eagle Rods or Probe Rods
Bore, Hone, Hot tank, Deck (if nec)
Balanced Crank
Polished Crank
All new Bearings & Thrusts
All new seals, and Oil pan Gasket
New VTEC oil pump
New VTEC water pump
LS/VTEC Oil line Kit with all fittings
Compressions come in 9:1, 9.4:1, 10.5:1, 11.8:1, 12:1, 12.5:1. 12.8:1, 13:1

i live in california. assuming i put ALL my stock B18C parts on this block, doesn't it stand to reason that it will pass smog? i just want to be sure. i'm SO not swapping motors just to pass smog!
does compression affect smog? i am wanting the 9.4:1.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c stroked to 2.0 still pass smog? (kaj)

i doubt you'll pass smog.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: b18c stroked to 2.0 still pass smog? (DubyaAye)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DubyaAye &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i doubt you'll pass smog.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I disagree. As long as you dont have like vteckiller cams or something...and you take off your turbo. I bet you could easily pass smog with a stock header and a good cat.

If you remember a few years ago...the "SI challange" superstreet got a b16a stroked to 1.8litre, high compression, cams, aftermarket ecu, etc etc to pass california smog just fine.

liam
Old 08-24-2003, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no sure things when it comes to engine changes. Most of the things you mentioned have no effect on smog. You probably won't pass the visual portion unless you have all your carb stickers in place. You would need a good engine management system and a good tuner to do a smog legal tune up to make it work.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:38 AM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c stroked to 2.0 still pass smog? (earl)

i will be running full hondata tuning. for smog i will be pulling off the turbo and reinstalling ALL stock pieces ( exhaust manifold, injectors, etc.). it will be a stock motor except for the larger displacement.
as for the visual.. the block is still B18C. how could they tell by looking that it's 2.0L instead of 1.8L??

Modified by kaj at 1:56 PM 8/24/2003
Old 08-24-2003, 10:46 AM

my friend owns a car shop and i dont know if he is lying but i doubt it. he says that they are changing the smog thing and that now everyone is going to smog on a dyno. he said he got the smog machine and not the dyno. i saw the machine it has a wireless mouse and a computer screen that has a click button to raise dyno or lower dyno. and he told me that there is a connector for obd2 thing that plugs into the persons car and basically if you have an obd2 car and convert to obd1 (hondata) ur shafted ull automatically not pass smog. wut year is your car? (95 or under ur obd1) he was telling me that if anyones has a engine light it automatically wont pass no way of going around it unless your obd1. but i seriously dunno know the details. this is also in california i dunno about other states
Old 08-24-2003, 12:57 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zad5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zad5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friend owns a car shop and i dont know if he is lying but i doubt it. he says that they are changing the smog thing and that now everyone is going to smog on a dyno. he said he got the smog machine and not the dyno. i saw the machine it has a wireless mouse and a computer screen that has a click button to raise dyno or lower dyno. and he told me that there is a connector for obd2 thing that plugs into the persons car and basically if you have an obd2 car and convert to obd1 (hondata) ur shafted ull automatically not pass smog. wut year is your car? (95 or under ur obd1) he was telling me that if anyones has a engine light it automatically wont pass no way of going around it unless your obd1. but i seriously dunno know the details. this is also in california i dunno about other states </TD></TR></TABLE>

california sucks a lot. my car is a '94 so is OBD1
Old 08-24-2003, 01:18 PM

Put a single slammer in it take it through DEQ and then once you have good tags put in your built motor. That way you don't have to worry about it passing or not.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:02 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c stroked to 2.0 still pass smog? (turboDC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Put a single slammer in it take it through DEQ and then once you have good tags put in your built motor. That way you don't have to worry about it passing or not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i REALLY don't wanna swap motors to pass smog.. even though it's only every two years &gt;
also, i wanted to sell my GS-R motor to recoup some of the $4k i'm spending on the new motor.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:05 PM
Ray
New User

smogged a 2.0L b18 stock cat and exhaust with stock ecu and it passed, actually it ran very clean, the extra displacement didnt affect smog.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:16 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c stroked to 2.0 still pass smog? (Ray)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ray &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">smogged a 2.0L b18 stock cat and exhaust with stock ecu and it passed, actually it ran very clean, the extra displacement didnt affect smog.</TD></TR></TABLE>

THAT is how i figured it would work. i'd use stock EVERYTHING: ecu, cat, exhaust, injectors, etc. as for needing a C.A.R.B. number as someone above mentioned.. do they MAKE them for short blocks??? how would they KNOW it was a 2.0 instead of 1.8?

*edit: nevermind. i see "bay area". thanks. i REALLY want to drop in the 2.0

screw it. i'll do it. if it doesn't pass smog, i'll swap.. maybe sell it. but i'll run like a motherfvcker 'till then!!!
anyway, what state do you live in??
Old 08-24-2003, 06:33 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would a stock y8 turbo in a 99 cx pass cali smog?
Old 08-24-2003, 06:43 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c stroked to 2.0 still pass smog? (TURSpoonEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURSpoonEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would a stock y8 turbo in a 99 cx pass cali smog?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i doubt any turbo other than one with a CARB exemption would pass the visual
Old 08-24-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as long as its tuned decently it should pass, the driven part
Old 08-24-2003, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c stroked to 2.0 still pass smog? (SiRkid)

Will the displacement and lower compression have any affect on the stock ECU doing it's job and keeping it running clean?

Remember, we can't have any type of engine management on this car when it goes to smog in two years.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:35 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c stroked to 2.0 still pass smog? (RyanAutry)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanAutry &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Remember, we can't have any type of engine management on this car when it goes to smog in two years. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Doh! i forgot about that. but they wouldn't SEE the hondata, would they? or do they check that stuff???
Old 08-25-2003, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

due to it being obd1 you can smog it with hondata on the car..just hide the cable and box well so they dont see it..and move your line launch (if you got it) up high so they dont hit it on first roll and freak out.if you try and smog the motor on a stock ecu it will fail forsure..the ecu is tunned at 10-1 compression from the factory and that will make it run rich on low compression..I would go with cp 9.7-1 piston (which are dead flat top) and use those for your turbo and it will help alot more with smog.I know this because we just ref'ed a car a few days ago and it had hondata and 9.7-1 pistons and passed great with no flaws at all.now the car is back to having its turbo on and running 14 psi on pump gas.this is a 94 hb with a 1.8L gsr.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:27 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its the carb legal greddy kit for the eg , but most little smog shops wont know the difference , plus im getting a fake sticker made...
Old 08-25-2003, 07:19 AM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c stroked to 2.0 still pass smog? (99Hybrid_Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99Hybrid_Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">due to it being obd1 you can smog it with hondata on the car..just hide the cable and box well so they dont see it..and move your line launch (if you got it) up high so they dont hit it on first roll and freak out.if you try and smog the motor on a stock ecu it will fail forsure..the ecu is tunned at 10-1 compression from the factory and that will make it run rich on low compression..I would go with cp 9.7-1 piston (which are dead flat top) and use those for your turbo and it will help alot more with smog.I know this because we just ref'ed a car a few days ago and it had hondata and 9.7-1 pistons and passed great with no flaws at all.now the car is back to having its turbo on and running 14 psi on pump gas.this is a 94 hb with a 1.8L gsr.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the place that is building the motor gives me a choice of 9.4:1 or 10.5:1 so i'm guessing 9.4:1 should be close enough?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURSpoonEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its the carb legal greddy kit for the eg , but most little smog shops wont know the difference , plus im getting a fake sticker made...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i too have a sticker. but i'm not gonna rely on it 100%.