Notices

B18B Turbo vs B18C Turbo is it worth the extra $1000?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18B Turbo vs B18C Turbo is it worth the extra $1000?

(First post, be easy)The dream right now is a EG Hatch, but the even bigger dream is to engine swap and turbo. I'm looking for 225-300 HP. New rods/pistons, new fuel managment and injectors ect.

I would be getting the motor and swapping it in and using it as a weekend warrior car/ driving it 3-4 times a week until I get the money for everything for a turbo setup.
Now on Hmotors a full LS swap is $2200 and a full GSR swap is $3300

Is it really worth the extra money? From what I've been reading obviously the GSR just seems like the overall better motor but for the $1000 that I put toward the "better motor" I could buy the rods/pistons for the LS and still have around ~$300 to play around with or put toward the turbo kit.
Also been thinking about a LS/VTEC setup but it seems like the consensuses is it is very nice but a hassle to fix if something does go wrong.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:58 AM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: B18B Turbo vs B18C Turbo is it worth the extra $1000?

This has been covered time and time again. The VTEC motor will always be the more efficient out of the box. LightningTegs build is literally on the front page of this subforum right now. A quick look at that and you would easily see how much more power is to be made with the VTEC engine.

A build is not necessary for your horsepower goals but would help with reliablity and longevity. 225-300hp is nothing for a stock B series with an efficient setup and good tune.

If you're set on a built engine you may consider piecing parts together to save a ton of money. Instead of just buying a full swap out of the box, pick up a block that needs to be rebuilt(or doesn't) for much cheaper and use the money you have left for internals and machine work. Otherwise it will get very expensive very quick.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
This has been covered time and time again. The VTEC motor will always be the more efficient out of the box. LightningTegs build is literally on the front page of this subforum right now. A quick look at that and you would easily see how much more power is to be made with the VTEC engine.

A build is not necessary for your horsepower goals but would help with reliablity and longevity. 225-300hp is nothing for a stock B series with an efficient setup and good tune.

If you're set on a built engine you may consider piecing parts together to save a ton of money. Instead of just buying a full swap out of the box, pick up a block that needs to be rebuilt(or doesn't) for much cheaper and use the money you have left for internals and machine work. Otherwise it will get very expensive very quick.
I was actaully just looking at that thread haha, yeah building it was more for reliability but at the same time with it being built I could maybe turn the boost up further. Thank's for replying and not being a dick I'm just new to this stuff and buying a short block idea is starting to make more sense.

Last edited by center66ljk; 05-05-2016 at 09:04 AM. Reason: a letter.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

I would still advise keeping the Accord in your sig as a daily if possible. Turbo Hondas, no matter how well done, don't make the best cars to drive everyday.

Since you're still in the planning phase take the time to educate yourself and do a lot of reading. Start with the forced induction FAQ here.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would still advise keeping the Accord in your sig as a daily if possible. Turbo Hondas, no matter how well done, don't make the best cars to drive everyday.

Since you're still in the planning phase take the time to educate yourself and do a lot of reading. Start with the forced induction FAQ here.
Yeah I'ma keep the 4 door Accord till she's dead on the floor lmao, nice lil car with the v6, the Hatch will be my sunday driver/ project car pretty much. Yeah I've been reading for about 3 weeks now it went from a F22 swap/turbo to a H22 and now to a B series since it seems they are pretty much the go to, I have a small amount of mechanical experience but I want to learn more about it.
Thanks for the help tho.

Last edited by center66ljk; 05-05-2016 at 09:47 AM. Reason: a word.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love bseries its so much easier to find a variety of high quality parts, and also differnt style manifolds etc.

I say its definitely worth it to go vtec, it has many advantages higher efficency motors more potential power output etc...the stock cams work great for boosted setups...ls cams not so much.

I got both my gsr blocks cheap (the second one is in storage in case of emergency lol), try to find one with a good crank the pistons and rods dont matter much just replace them, make sure no cracks etc and your good to go.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
I love bseries its so much easier to find a variety of high quality parts, and also differnt style manifolds etc.

I say its definitely worth it to go vtec, it has many advantages higher efficency motors more potential power output etc...the stock cams work great for boosted setups...ls cams not so much.

I got both my gsr blocks cheap (the second one is in storage in case of emergency lol), try to find one with a good crank the pistons and rods dont matter much just replace them, make sure no cracks etc and your good to go.
Yeah part of the reason I wanna go with the B is parts and it's swapped and boosted many a time so there is plenty of info out there, I wanted to be "different" and do an H or F swap but it really doesn't seem worth it to me seeing as I have next to no mechanical car experience (not saying those swaps are necessarily harder but it's easier when there are more guides to follow).

I do want to get the GSR but at the same time an extra $1000 will be 1 1/2- 2 months more saving I would have to do, but from what you, Aradin and many other people from other threads have said it does make a BIG difference. I am still checking different places out for parts and ect since this project is way off in the distance.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do what works for you, your 300 HP goal is easily attainable on a LS motor.

Just remember turboing a car aint cheap, $1000 is a drop in the bucket. Turbo kit, EMS, tune ETC things will start to add up quickly

you will need to stay away form EBAY turbo kits, go autoworks kits start at $2500 I believe

* just noticed your going H motors you will also be getting a better transmission (GSR) when purchasing the complete swap
Old 05-05-2016, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do what works for you, your 300 HP goal is easily attainable on a LS motor.

Just remember turboing a car aint cheap, $1000 is a drop in the bucket. Turbo kit, EMS, tune ETC things will start to add up quickly

you will need to stay away form EBAY turbo kits, go autoworks kits start at $2500 I believe

* just noticed your going H motors you will also be getting a better transmission (GSR) when purchasing the complete swap
Yeah I know it's going to further down the road, I would be buying the motor and swapping that in and just driving that around for a while as my weekend car
(which a GSR swap would still be ballin for stock) till I get the money for the kit and most everything else involved.

The kit I was looking at was a Treadstone kit with a t3/t4 turbonetics but I will check into that autoworks kit aswell. Thanks for the info it is greatly appreciated .

Edit: I just checked out the Auto Works kit, it's actually cheaper to buy that than the Treadstone right now since it's on sale, dunno how long that will last but I will deff save that for later.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by center66ljk
Edit: I just checked out the Auto Works kit, it's actually cheaper to buy that than the Treadstone right now since it's on sale, dunno how long that will last but I will deff save that for later.
His stuff is always on "sale" not sure if sale price ever varies but its a marketing ploy for the most part.

Best time to buy from him is black friday thats the only time things actually go on sale, he advertises that sale on instagram
Old 05-05-2016, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

His stuff is always on "sale" not sure if sale price ever varies but its a marketing ploy for the most part.

Best time to buy from him is black friday thats the only time things actually go on sale, he advertises that sale on instagram
By the time I get the money for the turbo kit it probably will be around black friday so that's good lmao.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:39 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to build it anyway, go LS/V.

Also, if want to entertain the idea of an H series, I may know of a built/sleeved H22 longblock and complete turbo setup that's taking up space in someone's garage
Old 05-07-2016, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
If you're going to build it anyway, go LS/V.

Also, if want to entertain the idea of an H series, I may know of a built/sleeved H22 longblock and complete turbo setup that's taking up space in someone's garage
Only reason I kinda don't wanna buy a short block and build it because of my lack of mechanical knowledge, I'd rather be able to take the parts off any know where it goes you know what I mean LOL but it still is a thought. If I had the money I would entertain the thought of the H22 cause ooo baby that idea gets me hard lmao.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

Might be cheaper to go H/F2B if you want to pick an EG chassis and have a better platform to work with and more torque. You can get an F20B for $400+shipping all day on eBay. I got mine for $550 shipped to my shop. Holding 300whp no issues. Plenty left in it too.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Might be cheaper to go H/F2B if you want to pick an EG chassis and have a better platform to work with and more torque. You can get an F20B for $400+shipping all day on eBay. I got mine for $550 shipped to my shop. Holding 300whp no issues. Plenty left in it too.
That is a thought I will keep that in mind.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B18B the way to go!
Old 05-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B18B the way to go!
I'm still thinking about it, this is partially a budget build I'm just a 19 year old kid that has always had a thing about hatchbacks and is very new to the honda scene in general so I may go with a b18b but if I can afford it and save enough money up I might go with the GSR swap. I would like to know why you would recommend the b18b other than the price point.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that was his very first post LOL!
take it with a grain of salt, same can be said for my posts

other then price point there are none unless you go LSVTEC for the slightly better displacement and torque
My GSR makes plenty of torque I wouldnt want any more for the street personally

as far as budget goes, honestly there are so many costs when going turbo, it can rang anywhere from 3k-6k (this is not including the base engine price)
for the 1k difference on HMO you are truly getting a good deal, Vtec head = 500 GSR transmission= 500 so u just about get the block for free if you look at it that way
Old 05-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that was his very first post LOL!
take it with a grain of salt, same can be said for my posts

other then price point there are none unless you go LSVTEC for the slightly better displacement and torque
My GSR makes plenty of torque I wouldnt want any more for the street personally

as far as budget goes, honestly there are so many costs when going turbo, it can rang anywhere from 3k-6k (this is not including the base engine price)
for the 1k difference on HMO you are truly getting a good deal, Vtec head = 500 GSR transmission= 500 so u just about get the block for free if you look at it that way
Yeah I'm more leaning toward the GSR just because I will be swapping and running the motor stock as is, no matter what I pick, for a good 4-8 months until I get all the money together for what I wanna do to it and a GSR even on stock N/A will still be great fun in a little 2200 pound car .
Old 05-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup my civic was NA for about a year 98 HX civic i think its 2400, it was still very fun to drive especially with the ITR transmission.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup my civic was NA for about a year 98 HX civic i think its 2400, it was still very fun to drive especially with the ITR transmission.
EK Hatch? Very nice . I like the EG look more IMO but the EK is still very sexy and for the right price I might end up getting one, only downfall is the fact that in NC anything older than 96 doesn't get smogged it seems (North Carolina Car Inspection | DMV.org) so an EK would mean it has to get smog checked.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

coupe, When I had my delsol I always wanted an EK. I do like hatches also but got the coupe for free

Now I miss my delsol LOL grass always greener on the other side
Old 05-08-2016, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id look in local junk yards face book pages and go from there. yes lsv would be easyest for a buget. also you should be fine with some rod bolts head studs and freash rings hone bearings and check over head.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96ekb20
id look in local junk yards face book pages and go from there. yes lsv would be easyest for a buget. also you should be fine with some rod bolts head studs and freash rings hone bearings and check over head.
he has no need to build a block based on his power goals, HMO blocks are nice cause you get a low mileage motor....sometimes you get what you pay for. I got my ITR trans from them and it was Mint

But I hear yah B18bs can be found super cheap, but he kinda needs the swap axles, ecu, transmission, mounts can be tricky to find all the right parts especially when on a budget
Old 05-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

coupe, When I had my delsol I always wanted an EK. I do like hatches also but got the coupe for free

Now I miss my delsol LOL grass always greener on the other side
Coupes looks very nice too, Del Sol's very nice aswell, I'd get a delsol but I feel like I'd be a little too big for it.
Free is also the best color.

Quick Reply: B18B Turbo vs B18C Turbo is it worth the extra $1000?