Notices

B16B turbo? Post Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16B turbo? Post Setup

Hey guys, If you have a B16B with a turbo, post your setup and any modifications you had to do to make it safe to run such as new cams or what ever.
or if you have a video of your b16b running post links.
Thanks guys
Old 06-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16B turbo? Post Setup (rosco)

Try here

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1323059

200+ pages. Clear your afternoon.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:18 PM

Default Re: B16B turbo? Post Setup (VTteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try here

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1323059

200+ pages. Clear your afternoon.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He said B16B, not B18B.

Either way, just go look at the B16A turbo setups post. A lot of people swap to CTR camshafts in their motors, and the rod length difference isn't anything to write home about in terms of faster revving or what not.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:27 PM

well was looking for b16b for a reason so if any of you out there turbo'd your badboy show ur spec, and if you had problems
Old 06-20-2006, 04:41 PM

Default Re: (rosco)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rosco &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well was looking for b16b for a reason so if any of you out there turbo'd your badboy show ur spec, and if you had problems
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why? It's funtionally identical to a B16A except for a slightly better flowing head and bigger cams, which a lot of people do to their motors anyways.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:15 PM

sorry new to it all, just wanted sum ideas, so basicly i can look at a b16A setup and it will nearly be the same, will it be ok turbo'd will i need to upgrade anything on engine cams ? thats why i wanted to know about ppl with b16b;s
Old 06-21-2006, 08:13 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rosco &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry new to it all, just wanted sum ideas, so basicly i can look at a b16A setup and it will nearly be the same, will it be ok turbo'd will i need to upgrade anything on engine cams ? thats why i wanted to know about ppl with b16b;s</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. You will not need to upgrade cams at all. The B16B CTR cams will work fine for a setup as this. Many people in the US go with the B16A because of their price, and availability. Those with CTR cams in a B16B stay in an NA platform on average. You'll be fine with this, but I suggest tuning carefully because of the SLIGHT change in compression. The POWER FC already has maps to start up for the B16B, and in your neck of the woods may be a better support tool than the ones across the pond here.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:33 PM

TheShodan: thanks man, i heard about the compression but a guy said he changed the cams to gsr cams and he gets no turbo lag at all, iam looking to run 12psi or possibly a bit more, nothing over the top like 40 or anything would i still need to do the compression? and what kinda things would i need to do?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rosco &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">TheShodan: thanks man, i heard about the compression but a guy said he changed the cams to gsr cams and he gets no turbo lag at all, iam looking to run 12psi or possibly a bit more, nothing over the top like 40 or anything would i still need to do the compression? and what kinda things would i need to do?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. the compression will not need to be changed. The cams have nothing to do with lag at all, it all is determined by the turbocharger and effective compression used.

1) Power FC Management or Hondata -- Most people will list 10 other choices but this may be more available for you because of the international support and because of the tuners that are in Warrington Cheshire, London, Sheerness Kent, etc. If they tune R32s and R33s, they can do a Honda power Fc application or Hondata.

2) Injectors. Depending upon the amount of power that you're looking for, 550cc injectors are a perfect fit. You can purchase saturated injectors from an RC Injector source, or check with Power Enterprise dealer in Northumberland.. I believe they are called Envy Performance. They've got some drop in applications there.

3) Turbocharger/Intercooler/wastegate/ Intercooler piping - These of course are going to be the biggest things there. I really wouldn't use used components like from a Peugot, Octavia, or Sunni GT-R. Get the real deal from your performance dealer. For most applications, a universal intercooler would be best to work with the I/C piping, depending upon if you keep A/C or not. I'd check with Greddy, they have a good international base there. They have the manifolds to use as well. you can stay internally gated for your particular needs, in case there are any inspections that you have worry about, and you can save on VAT as well, since both a turbo and wastegate don't have to be purchased separately. Save yourself on the duties.

4) Exhaust - Now would be a good time to find an exhaust as well. If you have a Greddy/Trust dealer, they make TT applications that work with cars that are using aftermarket turbochargers. Thermal does make one, but again, I'm trying to help you save on those duties that you have to deal with.

5) Guages. Boost/EGT/Oil temp are the biggest ones to get. Luckily they come in both metric and US standard readings so there should be plenty available.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheShodan)

I personally wouldnt run 12 plus pounds on a stock b16b but thats up to you make sure whoever tunes it knows what there doing or else youll be out a nice motor i would keep it under 10 pounds but its up to you man.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:00 AM

So u recon i cannot run morethan 10psi? how can i update the engine to run 12? or more? would this need a new head? sorry iam new to this just getting all my information correct.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:21 PM

you'll need a new bottom end... rods and pistons to start... and if you are a baller... go for a new sleeve set up top.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rosco &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So u recon i cannot run morethan 10psi? how can i update the engine to run 12? or more? would this need a new head? sorry iam new to this just getting all my information correct.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A lot of this is going to depend upon the turbo that you use. 10psi on one turbo is a bit different than 10psi on another type of turbo. Simply giving a pressure number may be close, but still depends upon the CFM of the turbo used.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:11 AM

TheShodan, u seem like a very decent guy and iam getting alot of diffrent answers about the b16b, and its confusing me, basicly iam looking for a turbo i can put onto the b16b and not have to mod anything or add anything, i have a company ready to tune it so i just need to know what would be best turbo kit.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:22 PM

best bang for the buck to purchase as a kit i would say drag kit or rev hard. You could with higher end ones but i dont think your motor will be able to take it. If you serious about getting into the turbo scene. Build your motor. If not Revhard and Drag's are a good solution.

Old 07-03-2006, 11:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rosco &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">TheShodan, u seem like a very decent guy and iam getting alot of diffrent answers about the b16b, and its confusing me, basicly iam looking for a turbo i can put onto the b16b and not have to mod anything or add anything, i have a company ready to tune it so i just need to know what would be best turbo kit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It can be very confusing. And many members here forget that you're accross the pond and that availability of turbo honda parts are very different in the states than in GB. The best thing may be to see about what was stated about using the Revhard kit, but you may want to piece together some better components to replace the kit slightly. such as the downpipe and flanging for the downpipe.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheShodan)

http://forums.evans-tuning.com...=2468

Just to give ya a little idea
Old 07-06-2006, 07:28 AM

TheShodan, yeah i really do think they forget about the GB scene, but iam really just getting into cars, really wanted a eg for my first car so i got it! saved up baught it and its minted, now i want my project car b16b turbo and il get it , just dnt want to dive into it and make an **** of it. il defo look into the revhard kit and anything else ud suggest mate if you have msn id appreciate you adding me icewolf_warrior@hotmail.com . names Rosco
Old 07-06-2006, 08:00 AM

what would probably help you best is to search. Go to the search under forced induction and type in b16. That should help quite a bit. What I have noticed over the years is that when it comes to boost, everyone has there own opinion. With the b16b having higher compression, your limited to how much boost you run. At the same time that doesnt matter. You have a b16b!! you could make more whp over a stock b16 or b18 at a much lower psi level. Focus on what your hp goal is and start from there. with the right setup and turbo at 10psi you would clearly be at the 300hp mark or higher.

good luck
Old 07-06-2006, 10:08 AM

minted thanks alot for the info d-meet07, as i said just getting into modding like high class mods, 10psi is all i want to run! id like to thank you all for your help.
Ross