Notices

B16a turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16a turbo questions

So i just got my first turbo car and want to upgrade everything little by little and would like to get recommendations of what i should change or add l. but first fix the little issues. Anyways for now i see grease on the side of the turbo and would like to know if its normal. And everymorning i turn on the car it idles very low and shuts off untill it gets warmed up than everyhing else is good.**it has a bad head gasket and maybe warped head nt sure gonna tix that on the weekend***
Also want to know what gas u guys recommend using. * i get really bad MPG*
Old 12-20-2015, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16a turbo questions

Listing the parts would be a good start
Ouch @ that turbo
Old 12-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Rite internally idk what it has. As far as what i can see its a 92 JDM B16a with a godspeed t3t4 63 trim turbo
Old 12-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, then I can tell you that shortly multiple members here will be telling you to completely replace everything. Which, wouldn't be completely wrong.

Should probably check out the FAQs here in FI for some more info on all this stuff, has most of everything you need to know so you can turn this build around.
After some studying/decisions for what your goals are use-wise and power-wise, if you still don't understand something just let us know
Old 12-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So what ur saying is the turbo is basically ****? i cant just replace the snail? Cause i got a buddy selling a gt35r snail for a 100$ car runs great just not on warm up
Old 12-20-2015, 12:06 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

What Geis is saying is that no only is the turbo basically a pile of garbage, but that you have a LOT to replace (turbo, "hot parts", engine bay cleanup, etc) and learn about based upon the photos you've submitted, and that doing so will show that you have a nice long road of experience ahead to be had.

So, no you don't replace a smaller garbage turbo with a HUGE GT35R on as a replacement.

Kudos for doing it on your own, but now you need to know how to do it properly so you don't set your project on fire or to an early grave.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what exactly am i gonna HAVE to replace? As far as engine bay clean up and replaceing things is not a problem for me i can take apart the motor and put it back together no problem. Its just the turbo part im new at...so from what u tell me is turbo is garbage so ill just replace parts 1 at a time.. and like i said car runs good. Wouldnt i be having issues?
Old 12-20-2015, 12:16 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Godspeed? Yes, that turbo is trash. Even before it went out on you, it was trash. And honestly, that GT35 is probably going to be too big for your engine. Good turbos cost good money - Get a good turbo, and it'll take care of you. Garrett are great, if pricey. STC are more affordable, and still solid.

You say you get horrible gas mileage...is the car properly tuned?
Old 12-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok i see ur guys point. Turbo is trash. I get the point i still want to fix it. i dont want to go spend 1000$ on a complete turbo kit just cause u guys can afford it. And like i said im gonna replace and upgrade parts piece by piece. Meanwhile im stuck with this one.
So the grease. Is it just the snail or is there something else thats causing that.
And tune i honeslty dnt know bro i just got this car no info on it. I traded my 95 ls integra 156k miles for this 1 . Guy i traded was just a high school who bought this car not knowing anything about them and clutch went out and leaks oil from head gasket and valve cover. He didnt have a job so didnt have money to fix it plus didnt have the experience, so all he wanted was a reliable car for school. So as easy for me to fix these car i traded. Plus this one has a fresh paint job
Old 12-20-2015, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, here's how it is; we do not likely babying people here, you've already admitted you are not very proficient in the turbo components, so I suggest you go to the faqs/google and do some studying, it really isn't that hard. We only ask of this because we get the same questions millions of times, meanwhile there's all the information easily accessible to everyone that usually gets ignored

The turbo's ****, the whole system is probably ****. They are very cheap china components that will (mostly) all break. Your wastegate and bov probably need to go, the turbo needs to go, the lines might need to go, and ffs the tune is the most important part of the build.

Replace the turbo first, make sure it has the correct oil lines and fittings, and get the damn thing tuned professionally with a good ems. The turbo probably has oil from blown seals/shitting fittings, it's gone. Once you have a better understand/more specific questions, then feel free to ask.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:58 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh lawd, you bought another man's project. Rule #1: Never buy another man's project. The truth of the FI world is that you have to pay to play. Or, there's the coloquial "Power, Money, Reliability - you can only have two". If you can't afford $800 for a new turbo, then you need to start shopping around for a used turbo that isn't garbage to begin with. I've heard good things about Holset from the affordability crowd. You should also start looking for a BOV and WG that aren't knockoff crap. If the WG fails, you might overboost, and when you overboost, you might blow up the motor. If the BOV fails, you might end up with compressor surge, and blow up the turbo or the motor. Once you've done that, go get the car properly tuned. Poor gas mileage is fairly indicative of a bad tune. If a "fresh paint job" was your priority...your head really isn't in the right place.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Oh lawd, you bought another man's project. Rule #1: Never buy another man's project. The truth of the FI world is that you have to pay to play. Or, there's the coloquial "Power, Money, Reliability - you can only have two". If you can't afford $800 for a new turbo, then you need to start shopping around for a used turbo that isn't garbage to begin with. I've heard good things about Holset from the affordability crowd. You should also start looking for a BOV and WG that aren't knockoff crap. If the WG fails, you might overboost, and when you overboost, you might blow up the motor. If the BOV fails, you might end up with compressor surge, and blow up the turbo or the motor. Once you've done that, go get the car properly tuned. Poor gas mileage is fairly indicative of a bad tune. If a "fresh paint job" was your priority...your head really isn't in the right place.
Thanx for that info ill definatly start looking for a new snail,BOV & Wastegate.... but no paint job wasnt my priority lol it was a big plus bt no of course it was the heart of the car i had stock LS and this one has a JDM B16a with 60k on motor had receit of purchase and 117k on chassis With a ITR LSD transmission and the fresh paint job... my old one core support wasnt holding very well anymore and paintjob and body wasnt great
Old 12-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-20-2015, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Id find a stock ls (b18b/1) and ecu (p75) run that and build a setup on the side.

I see you said you dont want to pay $1000 for a turbo kit, just saying to have a decent kit your going to spend almost if not that much on just a quality turbo alone. Not to mention the other major components and more especially all the little misc things.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see this ending well...
Old 12-23-2015, 12:54 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're unwilling to spend 1000 dollars on even one quality part then you have the wrong hobby.

You need to go to the Real HMT forum/site and get setups ideas there. Your unwillingness to pay to play means you're going to be endlessly swapping out broken ****, real HMT is the best place to see what your "budget" will get you. Which will be nothing more than a basic junkyard turbo setup making sub 300hp with mostly used and repurposed parts and smaller used turbos.

Cheap
Reliable
Fast

Pick two because in the end that's what your setup will be.