Notices

B16A + T4/GT40 "BLOWZILLA" = fun?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A + T4/GT40 "BLOWZILLA" = fun?

first off after lots of research, and having done a couple of turbo setups (small turbos, med, and large), the realzation/idea for this project came to me when reading this article by Jeff @ ImportBuilders.com.

these are the turbos in question
T3/GT40
T4/GT40

oh here is the setup that is planned (many parts i already have):
B16A (stock bore, stroke)
Endyn RollerWave pistons (should be about ~9:1 in my motor)
TunerToys H-beam rods
P72 head (hopefully i will be getting a Portflow...hopefully)
Victor X intake manifold
top mount manifold
"turbo" or small NA cams w/springs and retainers
think thats it for relevent ****?

first off this is a STREET CAR. i plan on running it on street tires all the time, inlcuding the track. obiously geared towards strait line performace (street/drag racing). will be ran with full exhaust, pump gas, full interior, etc.

i dont like to make "GOALS" they just lead to disapointment....lets say whatever it makes at 14psi is the goal (just for ***** 399whp 250tq). want power between 5000-10000rpms

i do realize that this is a "BIG" turbo, and that Garrett recommends it for 2.0+ motors... please refer to the link above for my reasoning.

Compressor map for this turbo, with plots for my boost levels/RPM's

im no pro at reading compressor maps, but that looks to be what im looking for? its off the surge limit when building boost, and at peak RPM it lands light in the middle of the island (want peak power probly around 9500ish).

so for my requirements for the car/turbo is that the turbo the one im looking for?
Old 09-16-2006, 08:23 AM

Default Re: B16A + T4/GT40 "BLOWZILLA" = fun? (turbohf)

The blowzilla is basically an SC61 with a smaller turbine side. You'd be lucky to get boost at 5000 RPM's with one of those on a 1.8+ litre motor, nevermind on a stock dimensioned B16.

Also, that article is a complete load of horseshit. I have a turbo B16 in my EF right now, and a stroked turbo B16 in my EG, with an LS crank. Whoever thought a more torqueless B16 is going to be more fun to drive on the street is absolutely out of their mind, traction is pretty easily modulated by that thing called your RIGHT FOOT. I think what he was trying to say was a smoother powerband makes for an easier/more fun to drive car, but a stock stroke/bore B16 with a T4 blowzilla isn't going to have a smooth powerband, nor is it going to have any ***** before about 6500 RPM's.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B16A + T4/GT40 "BLOWZILLA" = fun? (b16sedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The blowzilla is basically an SC61 with a smaller turbine side. You'd be lucky to get boost at 5000 RPM's with one of those on a 1.8+ litre motor, nevermind on a stock dimensioned B16.

Also, that article is a complete load of horseshit. I have a turbo B16 in my EF right now, and a stroked turbo B16 in my EG, with an LS crank. Whoever thought a more torqueless B16 is going to be more fun to drive on the street is absolutely out of their mind, traction is pretty easily modulated by that thing called your RIGHT FOOT. I think what he was trying to say was a smoother powerband makes for an easier/more fun to drive car, but a stock stroke/bore B16 with a T4 blowzilla isn't going to have a smooth powerband, nor is it going to have any ***** before about 6500 RPM's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you must be on crack adout the sc61. I think its one one of the best t3/t4 turbos out there for any b series. in reference to spool time and hp. full boost on my b16 setup 4800-5000, on my ls/vtec 4600-5000. perfect for daily street driving
Old 09-16-2006, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres a good build. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1679508
Old 09-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the t3/blowzilla, SICK turbo!! In my opinion go with t4, FTW!!
Old 09-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i didnt say i wanted a smooth powerband... i want MASSIVE top end pull. i LOVE BOOST and RPM....

i had a LSVTEC turbo with a 'small' T4 on it. i would get full 10-11psi of boost just before VTEC (5200, ITR cams). that bitch pull hard, it was wicked... but it wasnt a rev'er. made peak power at about 8 grand...and i didnt want to rev it any higher. yeah like you said you can pedel it to get traction. that thing would spin tire when you tipped into second gear... same deal but with even more tq on my turbo GTI, MASSIVE tire spin threw second, and into third (with a torsen diff)....

the thing is im building this motor, dont care if you think a 1.8 is better...accually if you do check out my **** forsale i have TWO B18C's forsale

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecallmotor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Heres a good build. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1679508</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks seen it, already PMed him

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Teglove2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got the t3/blowzilla, SICK turbo!! In my opinion go with t4, FTW!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

you do? is it on a 77.4 motor? if so more info PLEASE!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The blowzilla is basically an SC61 with a smaller turbine side.</TD></TR></TABLE>
umm...i know someone that had a SC61 on a B16A.....im calling him lol
Old 09-16-2006, 12:27 PM

So you went from honda to VW and now back to Honda huh? hehe...
Old 09-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbohf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i didnt say i wanted a smooth powerband... i want MASSIVE top end pull. i LOVE BOOST and RPM....

i had a LSVTEC turbo with a 'small' T4 on it. i would get full 10-11psi of boost just before VTEC (5200, ITR cams). that bitch pull hard, it was wicked... but it wasnt a rev'er. made peak power at about 8 grand...and i didnt want to rev it any higher. yeah like you said you can pedel it to get traction. that thing would spin tire when you tipped into second gear... same deal but with even more tq on my turbo GTI, MASSIVE tire spin threw second, and into third (with a torsen diff)....

the thing is im building this motor, dont care if you think a 1.8 is better...accually if you do check out my **** forsale i have TWO B18C's forsale

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First street car and street tires Haha What kind of street tires we talkin?? Your prolly better off witt he T4 cause your gonna need lag to get up some MPh or your gonna Smoke the freakin tires&lt; and What tranny do you runn??
Old 09-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A + T4/GT40 "BLOWZILLA" = fun? (OBRJosh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OBRJosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First street car and street tires Haha What kind of street tires we talkin?? Your prolly better off witt he T4 cause your gonna need lag to get up some MPh or your gonna Smoke the freakin tires&lt; and What tranny do you runn?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

How can you recommend a T4 on a stock bore low compression B16???? Its going to be a dog &lt;6500rpm
Old 09-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A + T4/GT40 "BLOWZILLA" = fun? (96 GSR-T)

If hes pulling to 10k like he said he wants too who cares 7-10k be a monster, And i personaly think that turbo is way to hugh for a street car but thats what he wants
Old 09-16-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Hate to say this, but NOT AN EFFICIENT MATCH in my honest, yet humble opinion. But since he knows now some of the characteristics, he can make his own judgement. I wouldn't argue about it..
Old 09-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A + T4/GT40 "BLOWZILLA" = fun? (TheShodan)

Try the tomzilla ball bearing w/ t4 hot side. I got Tom building one for a buddy of mine. basically uses a gt35 exhaust wheel and a 66 trim on the cold side. Spools as quick as a gt35r. Tom states this little monster will have full boost by 4800-5000 rpms and has nice top end. Rated around 695 hp.

Well let you know how it performs once we get the project finished.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A + T4/GT40 "BLOWZILLA" = fun? (sohc_turd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_turd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you went from honda to VW and now back to Honda huh? hehe...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah...well the GTI was suppost to be a daily with some diveristy...but we all know how that **** goes...300whp and like 280tq i think...

i love all cars....but Honda has my heart...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OBRJosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First street car and street tires Haha What kind of street tires we talkin?? Your prolly better off witt he T4 cause your gonna need lag to get up some MPh or your gonna Smoke the freakin tires&lt; and What tranny do you runn?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

not sure yet, but for daily action it will be some 200 treadwares. like some Dunlop FM901's, or some AVS's (205/50-15). for the track some BFG's (225's).
USDM S80/GSR tranny with a Qweeff (Quaife )

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How can you recommend a T4 on a stock bore low compression B16???? Its going to be a dog &lt;6500rpm</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OBRJosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If hes pulling to 10k like he said he wants too who cares 7-10k be a monster, And i personaly think that turbo is way to hugh for a street car but thats what he wants</TD></TR></TABLE>

everyone always says that when refering to a street car.... when im sitting in my everett/seattle traffic i really need that extra point of compression or smaller turbo dont i? cuz its really gonna help my low end 2-5mph... if my car feels like a ****** Z6 when its off boost i dont care cuz i wont be racing in those areas...
Old 09-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A + T4/GT40 "BLOWZILLA" = fun? (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hate to say this, but NOT AN EFFICIENT MATCH in my honest, yet humble opinion. But since he knows now some of the characteristics, he can make his own judgement. I wouldn't argue about it..</TD></TR></TABLE>

well whats your honest opinion on what i should go with? or what you think im looking for? (not trying to be an ***) or you just think that the article that Jeff wrote and im basing this off of it just bullshit?
Old 09-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"thats 15psi on pump gas on a 81.5 b16a w/ b16a head
9:1 r-cams
stock stroke
t3/t67 HO .82 "

jacked that from another thread...

now the T3/T67 HO is a larger turbo than the BLOWZILLA from the way im reading it? right? it has a max flow rate of 75lbs and the GT35/40 of 65lbs.

that thing is still making power at 8800 on R cams... i would like to see some more RPM from it personally... looking at my old LSVTEC dyno the whole powerband is like 1000 RPMs higher on that B16....
Old 09-17-2006, 12:42 AM
chuntee-hatch

dustin. ihi rhb5 fr the win bro.

llook at these glasses, youll know im from the west side
Old 09-17-2006, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A + T4/GT40 "BLOWZILLA" = fun? (chuntee-hatch)

the IHI was the 1st gear burnout king. never once hit the revlimiter (DOHC ZC), power died so i shifted... &lt;~shortly after i realized small turbos = the gay...

ive got a T4 i aquired a while back for this project, but im not sure how well it will work for my setup/requirements for this project. it was off my buddies race car. he made like 467whp @ 33psi he was running a 81mm B16A with SRP 9:1's, ITR cams, custom sheetmetal intake mani, and custom long runner turbo manifold. i think he was pushing the turbo passed its effeicancy. ill take some pics of it and try to get some measurements (there is not a single marking on it, he got it from another local racer). all i have been told is that its a 60-1 T4 turbo...
Old 09-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OBRJosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If hes pulling to 10k like he said he wants too who cares 7-10k be a monster, And i personaly think that turbo is way to hugh for a street car but thats what he wants</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am no expert on this, but I would not want to rev my motor to 10k with just springs/retainers...... shouldnt he have the whole package??, Its really all up to him, but I am sure there are other turbo's out there that will give him the same PEAK (screw a powerband) power with better responce.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbohf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i didnt say i wanted a smooth powerband... i want MASSIVE top end pull. i LOVE BOOST and RPM....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who gives a **** how high you turn it, if you can make bigger power at less RPM's with a longer stroke. I'd rather have a 6000-9500 powerband than a 7000-10500 RPM powerband because it's going to be easier to drive around town off boost, and easier on parts if you're turning less RPM's. And for that matter, you want to build a 9000+ RPM motor running tunertoys rods? Yikes. I'm going to assume you'll be running Hondata/Uberdate/Crome as well and limited to a 3-bar map sensor, so if you love that massive top end pull you'd be better off running a larger motor because you're not going to max that turbo out on a stock bore/stroke B16 before you hit the limits of a 3-bar map sensor.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With GSR cams mine makes power well over 9500
Old 09-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you were looking at a gt40/t3 id say look into the gt3082r (or gt3040r same thing) - which is a gt40 compressor and a gt30 exhaust. Its similar to the blowzilla but with a gt and bb exhaust side.

I believe this video is a b18c and a gt42r turbo...but rpms wow!

http://tiora.net/~jay/videos/clustershot.avi

liam
Old 09-17-2006, 03:11 PM

why would you want that for a street car then? do a gt35r..
Old 09-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Who gives a **** how high you turn it, if you can make bigger power at less RPM's with a longer stroke. I'd rather have a 6000-9500 powerband than a 7000-10500 RPM powerband because it's going to be easier to drive around town off boost, and easier on parts if you're turning less RPM's. And for that matter, you want to build a 9000+ RPM motor running tunertoys rods? Yikes. I'm going to assume you'll be running Hondata/Uberdate/Crome as well and limited to a 3-bar map sensor, so if you love that massive top end pull you'd be better off running a larger motor because you're not going to max that turbo out on a stock bore/stroke B16 before you hit the limits of a 3-bar map sensor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea those rods are shady in any build IMO, but an Hondata S300 is not limited to a 3 bar..........
Old 09-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Who gives a **** how high you turn it, if you can make bigger power at less RPM's with a longer stroke. I'd rather have a 6000-9500 powerband than a 7000-10500 RPM powerband because it's going to be easier to drive around town off boost, and easier on parts if you're turning less RPM's. And for that matter, you want to build a 9000+ RPM motor running tunertoys rods? Yikes. I'm going to assume you'll be running Hondata/Uberdate/Crome as well and limited to a 3-bar map sensor, so if you love that massive top end pull you'd be better off running a larger motor because you're not going to max that turbo out on a stock bore/stroke B16 before you hit the limits of a 3-bar map sensor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

chipped P61 running CROME PRO... Motorola 2.5bar MAP sensor.

READ THE ARTICLE, im turning these RPM;s for a reason. i understand all your 82.7/89mm stroke suggestions... im gonna run a 77.4mm...

yeah i know on the rods...i have been thinking about those for several days now. they where CHEAP...hell the bottom end was cheap as **** too... i really wouldnt care if this ****** tossed a rod after year, i just dont want it to take out my head or turbo.... i will probly buy some Manley/Pauter rods...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you were looking at a gt40/t3 id say look into the gt3082r (or gt3040r same thing) - which is a gt40 compressor and a gt30 exhaust. Its similar to the blowzilla but with a gt and bb exhaust side.

I believe this video is a b18c and a gt42r turbo...but rpms wow!

liam</TD></TR></TABLE>

vid is already on my computer, i get wood every time i watch it pretty sure it was a 89mm stoke 2.0l

GT-series is out of budget...and i dont need the benifiets of a BB turbo...or the short comings like not being rebuildable...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would you want that for a street car then? do a gt35r.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

cuz its cheaper and will spool later...

Quick Reply: B16A + T4/GT40 "BLOWZILLA" = fun?