Notices

B16 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 Turbo

Hey guys i'm doing a B16A4 turbo build. It will be my Daily Driver so need reasonable amount of power with reliability. I believe 8psi would be good for it. I need suggestions on what turbo to use ? Basically, i need power starting from 3500 to 4000rpm all the way to 8500. So yeah, not big *** turbo laggin turbos. TD04 should be good I guess with 57trim ? It will be on STOCK internals, stock everything. Might even be OEM clutch. Need suggestions on clutch aswell since i can't afford to dish out much for a 6 puck right now. Lemme know ASAP!
thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: B16 Turbo

seems theres one of these threads 3x a week.

you have aalot of learning to do.

you beleive 8lbs will be good on what turbo? U guess with a .57 trim.

If you cant afford the right clutch, your in no position for boost as youll need extra $$ to fix what breaks later on and other things like mounts, brakes, suspension.

going fast is great, but you need to be able to stop and keep the car under control.

Read all the FAQ's stickied in the forced induction thread at top, then come back after you know what is going to work for your budget and engine.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
LOL ^^
Old 02-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I already did my research before I made this thread. Couldn't find what I was looking for. Need recommendation which turbo to use and which clutch to use.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:30 AM
Retired Moderator

what is your power goal?
Will this be a daily or see the track?
what manifold will be used?
what exhaust will be used?
etc..
etc..

theres too many variables and we need alot more info to help..

As far as clutch, a stage 2 or 3 should be fine. i use an ACT 4 puck unsprung, but if you like the feel of a sprung clutch, then its on ur personal preference

going boost isnt something you just bolt on and go.. expect to spend 2-3 grand to do it right and have an extra grand on hand to fix what breaks. Save your money and do it right the 1st time.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Power goal is 250 to 300HP DAILY DRIVEN.
Ram horn manifold is what i have in mind. What exhaust ? What do you mean by that ? Piping ? I say 2.5'' should be fine. What else do I need to tell ? It'll be a daily driver so i dont need no overkill clutch becuase i get stuck in traffic too often and it'll kill my leg >.<
Old 02-27-2012, 05:36 AM
Retired Moderator

ram horn is fine for you as it has great flow.
exhaust is good as well

the clutch isnt going to kill your leg, that would the pressure plate. The OE plate will be fine if its in good condition.

id say a .50 trim or .57 trim (or similar) will be good for your goals since your all stock.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info bro!
Well coming to the clutch part, so which clutch would you recommend ? And I was thinking of aluminium flywheel coupled with the clutch. OEM pressure plate will suffice ?
Also .50 trim / .57 trim of what turbo ? And how long would it take to spool and engage ? It'll be Daily driven so I don't need no very high revs.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:08 AM
Retired Moderator

smaller turbo quicker spool
larger turbo later spool

where do u want your power to kick in?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like I said, 4000 to 4500 is when i need the power to kick in.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone ?!?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 AM
Retired Moderator

Ive already told you, smaller turbo kicks in power earlier, learn to read the comressor maps for the turbo's you want to run.

they will tell you everything you want to know and more. The FAQ's has this answer for you if you look.

http://hondaswap.com/forced-inductio...ummies-129194/
Old 02-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't understand that. Just tell me if t04 57trim is good enough ?
Old 02-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vyrus
I already did my research before I made this thread. Couldn't find what I was looking for. Need recommendation which turbo to use and which clutch to use.
Then you must have only searched for 2 minutes. This is covered every damn week.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't understand that. Just tell me if t04 57trim is good enough ?
This is exactly why your "research" you did on turbocharging, didn't tell you anything, you don't fawkin read!! How do you not understand the compressor map?! The link explains it in thorough detail how to read it!!

MY GOD! Quit being too lazy to read.

If you aren't even willing to put in the time to read about turbocharging and how it works, and how to do it right, I can only imagine how lazily and halfassed your turbo setup is going to be put together.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OP I'm in the same situation your in. I'm looking to turbo my b16a2. I didn't post a thread simply because there are a ton of them already. First off you need to set a budget limit. How much are you willing to spend. Then you have to decide your deadline. Do you want to be up and running by summer? Or are you going to do what I'm doing and wait a year and get everything you need(including information) and then go from there. There are so many options to go with as far as turbos its unreal. After you set a budget and a deadline start a parts list. You can spend the extra money and get a kit or you can try to diy and build your own setup. Either way is fine really. I'd also recommend getting a helms manual. It's just handy to have. Once you build you parts list and you've found what you THINK you like start doing research. If you find out something isn't going to work go back to the list and figure out what you have to change in order to get what you DO want.

Another thing to remember is a stock b16 is only going to safely handle UNDER 300hp. And if I'm not mistaken that crank hp not whp. Either way stay well under 300 if you plan to drive the car more than a few months.

As for a turbo I know I'm thinking about going with a t3/t04E. It's got quick spool and also does well at top end. Our b16's like high rpms and the gear ration in our transmission is short. Think small. Even a t3 would work. Also take a look at the precision line. Their entry level turbos would be fine for your(and my) setup.

Also, how many miles do you have on the motor/transmission? It might be a good idea to do a compression test and leakdown test before you even THINK about turbo. Your engine may not even be able to handle a turbo as is.

I hope this wall of text helps. I know I'm still learning and reading as much as I can. Do yourself a favor and spend the next month on strictly research and pricing. It'll save your **** in the long run.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DirtyDA9
This is exactly why your "research" you did on turbocharging, didn't tell you anything, you don't fawkin read!! How do you not understand the compressor map?! The link explains it in thorough detail how to read it!!

MY GOD! Quit being too lazy to read.

If you aren't even willing to put in the time to read about turbocharging and how it works, and how to do it right, I can only imagine how lazily and halfassed your turbo setup is going to be put together.

god damnit you just had to post that much ? just write turbo name and trim thats it rest i can do. ffs people overestimate search buttons.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NewtoCivics
OP I'm in the same situation your in. I'm looking to turbo my b16a2. I didn't post a thread simply because there are a ton of them already. First off you need to set a budget limit. How much are you willing to spend. Then you have to decide your deadline. Do you want to be up and running by summer? Or are you going to do what I'm doing and wait a year and get everything you need(including information) and then go from there. There are so many options to go with as far as turbos its unreal. After you set a budget and a deadline start a parts list. You can spend the extra money and get a kit or you can try to diy and build your own setup. Either way is fine really. I'd also recommend getting a helms manual. It's just handy to have. Once you build you parts list and you've found what you THINK you like start doing research. If you find out something isn't going to work go back to the list and figure out what you have to change in order to get what you DO want.

Another thing to remember is a stock b16 is only going to safely handle UNDER 300hp. And if I'm not mistaken that crank hp not whp. Either way stay well under 300 if you plan to drive the car more than a few months.

As for a turbo I know I'm thinking about going with a t3/t04E. It's got quick spool and also does well at top end. Our b16's like high rpms and the gear ration in our transmission is short. Think small. Even a t3 would work. Also take a look at the precision line. Their entry level turbos would be fine for your(and my) setup.

Also, how many miles do you have on the motor/transmission? It might be a good idea to do a compression test and leakdown test before you even THINK about turbo. Your engine may not even be able to handle a turbo as is.

I hope this wall of text helps. I know I'm still learning and reading as much as I can. Do yourself a favor and spend the next month on strictly research and pricing. It'll save your **** in the long run.
well first off thank you so much for such a detailed reply bro
well i'm outside of the US so budget is different. But it's enough for a turbo setup. Since i've calculated prices for all the parts required.
I don't plan on going above 270HP tbh. i'll check precision lineup then
and yeah gear ratios are damn short! I'm currently getting the engine rebuilt since it had alotta miles on it plus i'm gettin the oil pump modded for more pressure. My guess is i will have 195+ compression after all is done.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

god damnit you just had to post that much ? just write turbo name and trim thats it rest i can do. ffs people overestimate search buttons.
It's because it's obvious that you're too damn lazy and just want everything spoon-fed to you like a baby. Well guess what, we aren't your babysitter, this is a tech website, where there is information by the barrel, and we are willing to give it. But when the same topic/question comes up every single week, it gets really old. So buck up cowboy, saddle in and do some reading and researching.

I mean seriously, the guy a few posts up posted a link to step by step show you how to read compressor maps. Then all you would have to do, is read compressor maps from different turbos to figure which one is right for you. But NOOOO, instead you don't even bother to read, you just say "I can't understand that". Come on dude.

Last edited by DirtyDA9; 02-29-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gt2860rs with .64 t3 option from atpturbo.com
Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crvtectim
LOL...
Old 03-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostage
gt2860rs with .64 t3 option from atpturbo.com
too small imo...if 300hp turns out to not be enough for our stock clutch b16 daily driver there isnt much room to make more power.

2 things:

- you are breaking the cardinal rule of dont fukk with your daily driver

- there are soo many other things that pop up, expect to spend a few thousand dollars to get it done and have something solid enough for a daily driver..

good luck
Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kinda skimmed through this, but of you want a clutch for daily, I'd suggest you go with SPEC clutch. Great for daily right there!!!!!! Kinda pricy, but it pays to play!
Old 03-02-2012, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As early as he wants to start making power I dont think its too small. Notice I said the .64 t3 housing, which is a little more surface area than the t2 .86 .. its quick spool and will hold to redline from all the dyno's I have seen, and while the dynos havent been .64 t3's they have actually been .48 t3's,.63 t2's or .86.t2's I feel confident tat the .64 t3 would be a great balance. for spool, mid range and not completely choke at 8k+

Quick Reply: B16 Turbo