Notices

B16 Rod Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 Rod Experiences

I'm in the planning phases of doing a project for my daily driver.

It's a 2000 civic siR.

I am planning on doing a nice streetable setup.
Just a brief rundown of the setup:
Precision 5431b Billet wheel
Inline pro mani
Stock Rebuilt b16 with headstuds and nippon pistons.
Gsr Cams.
RC 750s
CC stage 4
Neptune

I am planning on making about 350whp but may push it closer to 400 down the road if it gets too boring. (I'm downsizing from my 651whp drag civic)

I'm utilizing the stock b16 rods in this build and I really have no concerns with them. I know that they are quite beefy. The ringlands seem to be a much bigger issue than the rods.

What I am torn on is if you guys feel that ARP rod bolts are necessary or not. I do not believe that it should be necessary as I would be keeping it under 8500 rpms. However, I am wanting the insight from you guys and your experiences.

It's not so much me being cheap as it is me just wondering if the rod bolts really do become an issue on these or not.

Thank you for your time.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B16 Rod Experiences

I have a similar setup except eagle rods and cp pistons. With stock rods you can't go wrong with arp rod bolts.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do the rod bolts, get new bearings, don't use stock pistons. A couple known users have used ycp pistons reliably I may try this. The heat treatment and thicker ring land will help.

Gl!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I contacted the seller of the Nippon pistons to ask if their pr3 Replicas had the same material and ringland thickness as their "turbo" pistons and they said that they were, so that's why I'm planning on the nippon pistons. I'm not wanting to go with the "turbo" pistons because that would be 8.5:1.

I'm wanting to stick with a cast piston because I'm really not wanting to go forged and have slap.The price difference is definitely appealing as well, but not the main deciding factor.

It's definitely getting all new gaskets, rings and bearings. I'm sure I'll end up getting the rod bolts, was just wondering if they actually pose a problem.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pistons will "slap" if your cylinders aren't true. But if you're going with a replica piston, why not use stock pistons and get new rings? There are many reasons why ring lands fail, but it's primarily because the engine is running rich. Extra fuel will wash out the pistons and rings on new installs causing premature engine failure.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was going with the replica as a precaution. I have seen people with good results on the replicas, especially the "turbo" pistons. If they're truly stronger and have a thicker ringland, then I'm down with that.

I was originally going to stick to OEM pistons with new rings. However, through my research, it seemed like the replicas would be a better choice.
It will be properly tuned, but want a little extra precaution still.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have E85 readily available you can make 350-400 on stock internals no problem. If will be pump 93 I would stay 350 or lower with stock internals. If your going to spend money in rod bolts just fork over a few more bucks and get rods. Stock rod bolts are fine. Rpm will take them out not hp. IMO leave it alone or build it. Some eagle rods with the ycp turbo pistons at least.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice on the rod bolts. I was definitely planning on staying ~350 or lower on 93. If I went higher in the future I was planning on Methanol Injection or E85.

Thank you for the input everyone.

I think that I am going to stick with stock rod bolts, but may go to the replica pistons still. I may change my mind when it comes down to it though.

This build isn't meant to be anything crazy, just making my DD fun.

Planning on recirculating wastegate, 3" exhaust as quiet as I can get it. Just doing something still nice to drive while making a little power.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep us updated. I will post a pic on the weekend of the beefed up ringland on the piston compared to stock. I am doing something similar on the cheap. My Seller said its a 10:5:1 oem replacement ycp piston I got em with a swap I picked up. new but in a different box.

1 thing the regular piston from what I looked up is a type r replica not b16. That will be interesting. Are you going oem comp ratio?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Will be looking forward to that.

I am intrigued that you found an oem replacement YCP. I had contacted the YCP seller, yet they only had the Type R replicas in 84mm and above. I'd love to be able to run the YCP's.

If you find this, I'd love to run it as well!

Hopefully it's not the itr replica even if it is in 81mm so you don't have the mill the wrist pin end of the rod.

The Nippons I have been looking at are a PR3 Replica, yet claim to have 9310 wrist pins!
http://mesgmy.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI....84.m2295.l3912