Notices

B16 Del Sol what are the capabilities for FI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 Del Sol what are the capabilities for FI?

Hi,

I have a standard engined 93 Del sol VTI B16. I have 3K to spend and I want around the 240 - 260bhp mark. Either supercharged or turbo'd whichever is going to be the most reliable and easy for street use. What I need to know is:

1)what are the limitations with the engine? eg, how much boost can I run on stock internals and what bhp figure will I be looking at?

2)what kit should I go for?

3)and the main question, s/c of turbo?

All help much appreciated as I have no prior knowledge or experience of turbo's or superchargers.

Cheers

BTW I have done a search and nothing useful comes up.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: B16 Del Sol what are the capabilities for FI? (dan2.2)

i have a 94 si w/ a b16a swap and recently put a turbo on it. it pulled extremely hard and it was only running about 5 pounds of boost. one of my friends has a gsr with a jackson racing s/c in a eg hatch and when we raced he couldn't get me after the top of second gear came. one thing to think about is with a s/c you've got the power right off the line where a turbo spools and you have less wheel spin off the line and have awesome top end. it's really just up to what you're going to do with it. as far as the stock internals, they won't be able to handle too much. i'd say about 5-7 psi at the most, but with a honda motor that's a lot. fuel system upgrade is a necessity either way though. running too lean is very bad.
hope this helps out
Old 04-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: B16 Del Sol what are the capabilities for FI? (sir2sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sir2sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 94 si w/ a b16a swap and recently put a turbo on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you mean recently "had" a turbo on it. I don't consider blowing the guts out of an old IHI turbo and removing it after 2 weeks still having a turbo kit. I don't consider last Sept. to be recent either but hey, everyone has their own opinions.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sir2sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one of my friends has a gsr with a jackson racing s/c in a eg hatch and when we raced he couldn't get me after the top of second gear came.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And this happened when, I must have missed that race??? Bench racing is one thing but come on man... Oh yea I forgot, we all have 9 sec cars and are all winners in cyberspace.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 Del Sol what are the capabilities for FI? (VTECVillain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dan2.2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi,

I have a standard engined 93 Del sol VTI B16. I have 3K to spend and I want around the 240 - 260bhp mark. Either supercharged or turbo'd whichever is going to be the most reliable and easy for street use. What I need to know is:

1)what are the limitations with the engine? eg, how much boost can I run on stock internals and what bhp figure will I be looking at?Rule #1 a motors limits are based on power not PSI(boost) one turbo may produce 300whp at 6psi while another may do it at 12 psi, but you will most likly want to stay in the 275-300whp at most(more has been done but how much do you want to risk)

2)what kit should I go for? If you are willing to spend the extra time piece one together, you will learn more and save money

3)and the main question, s/c of turbo?Turbo, your power will be limited with the supercharger

All help much appreciated as I have no prior knowledge or experience of turbo's or superchargers.Read up! Honda-Tech is your friend!

Cheers

BTW I have done a search and nothing useful comes up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hope i answered all your questions my biggest advice is read up and learn what is going on before you buy anything. AND USE A LEGIT FUEL MANAGEMENT(uberdata, hondata, AEM...) if you dont know what these are then again read up. good luck with whichever road you choose
Old 04-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B16 Del Sol what are the capabilities for FI? (dan2.2)

i think you get alot more for your money if you put together your own turbo kit. hears an example
cast manifold &gt;$300
t3-t4 turbo $500-600 (do your rechearch here)
used dp $150
intercooler $200
injectors $200-300 (could use dsm for much cheaper.)
intercooler piping $200
wastegate &gt;$300
b.o.v. &gt;$200
these are all of the basic parts you will need and they total less the $2000 and could be much cheaper. you will need engine manegmen. i recomend hondata but ive heard good things about neptune including that its much less expensive then hondata. you will need to pay to have the car tuned. dont go cheap her it could cost you your motor. and there are various other parts needed line oil, vaccum lines gaskets,map sensor (or missing link), resistor box,
Old 04-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 Del Sol what are the capabilities for FI? (downeyballz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by downeyballz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think you get alot more for your money if you put together your own turbo kit. hears an example
cast manifold &gt;$300
t3-t4 turbo $500-600 (do your rechearch here)very much so a bad choice here will haunt you
used dp $150 here you can save a ton by making your own mine prolly cost about 50-60
intercooler $200 www.johnnyracecar.com
injectors $200-300 (could use dsm for much cheaper.)i am using tuner toys 450cc injectors no resistor box needed i have no complaints 200 bucks shipped
intercooler piping $200 again if you can make it on your own you will spend about 100
wastegate &gt;$300 tial 38mm 210 in the sponsors section
b.o.v. &gt;$200 if you want you can skimp here and buy from ebay for like 50 bux or you can prolly find a used RFL for 50-100 on h-t
these are all of the basic parts you will need and they total less the $2000 and could be much cheaper. you will need engine manegmen. i recomend hondata but ive heard good things about neptune including that its much less expensive then hondata. you will need to pay to have the car tuned. dont go cheap her it could cost you your motor. and there are various other parts needed line oil, vaccum lines gaskets,map sensor (or missing link), resistor box,
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-16-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: B16 Del Sol what are the capabilities for FI? (dornon13)

oh i'm sorry vtecvillain, i forgot you know all. maybe next time you should pick up the phone and call someone. and by the way the car wasn't ur's or mine, but maybe you should talk to john as him. by the way what's up with ur ride. jason and i were just wondering. PEACE
Old 04-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Trial User

Default Re: B16 Del Sol what are the capabilities for FI? (sir2sol)

are you talking about john hardesty? if so his turbo'd b16 pulled hard vtec yo!!!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:21 PM

Location: Fairmont is kinda like hell, the only difference, is Fairmont has a polluted river that runs through, the middle of it.
Default Re: B16 Del Sol what are the capabilities for FI? (H22HondaCRX)

John's car pulled real hard at 4 pounds, I wish I could have seen 10.