Notices

B16 Custom Kit <advice welcome>

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 Custom Kit <advice welcome>

I have a first gen b16 in a 90 hf crx. Im trying to piece together a turbo kit and i would like to know what you ht fi gurus think about the setup.

Car currently has:
B16
JG Edelbrock IM
AEM Intake
Pr3 mugen chipped &gt;&gt;&gt;This isnt really good because it changes the timing correct?

Looking to buy:
Garrett t3/to4e 60 trim .63 a/r
Lovefab SST or SFP Manifold&lt;heard lots of good things about both..leaning to SST&gt;
Tial 38mm Wastegate .7 bar spring
Tial BoV or 1g dsm BoV
Downpipe from lovefab
Thermal 3" &lt;still have stock hf pea shooter exhaust &gt;
Oil Line Kit
Greddy Guages - Boost, A/F, EGT

Im still a little confused on a few things...
standalone
Im obd-0 and i wanted the ems but i dont think they make one
Intercooler- Need fitment help &lt;want to go with a Spearco one&gt;
Fuel Pump- Suggestions??
Injectors- Once again suggestions??

Is there anything else im forgetting??
Im planning to get a sleeved block with pistons and rods but that will be later down the line when i want to turn up the boost.

Sorry for all the questions im just trying to get an idea on the setup ive been reading this forum nonstop
Old 10-16-2003, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 Custom Kit <advice welcome> (AirmanFunk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AirmanFunk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a first gen b16 in a 90 hf crx. Im trying to piece together a turbo kit and i would like to know what you ht fi gurus think about the setup.

Car currently has:
B16
JG Edelbrock IM
AEM Intake
Pr3 mugen chipped &gt;&gt;&gt;This isnt really good because it changes the timing correct? If the mugen is a all motor ecu be careful.

Looking to buy:
Garrett t3/to4e 60 trim .63 a/r or go with a t3
Lovefab SST or SFP Manifold&lt;heard lots of good things about both..leaning to SST&gt;
Tial 38mm Wastegate .7 bar spring
Tial BoV or 1g dsm BoV either one i have the weldable 1g adapter if needed
Downpipe from lovefab

Thermal 3" &lt;still have stock hf pea shooter exhaust &gt;

Oil Line Kit IM flamenco T
Greddy Guages - Boost, A/F, EGT get turbo timer

Im still a little confused on a few things...
standalone
Im obd-0 and i wanted the ems but i dont think they make one
Intercooler- Need fitment help &lt;want to go with a Spearco one&gt; spearco 23x6x3
Fuel Pump- Suggestions?? walbro 255lph high pressure
Injectors- Once again suggestions??

Is there anything else im forgetting??
Im planning to get a sleeved block with pistons and rods but that will be later down the line when i want to turn up the boost.

Sorry for all the questions im just trying to get an idea on the setup ive been reading this forum nonstop
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-16-2003, 05:33 PM

So im at least on the right track Saving the money up now and yeah ill im flamenco T...i couldnt think of the name when i was typing this up

EDIT: Also i want this to be a daily driver until i get a new block built.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:33 PM

Default Re: B16 Custom Kit <advice welcome> (AirmanFunk)

If you're only going to run .7 bar you don't need a T3/T4. You're better off with just a T3. Spooling up a turbo is all about exhaust velocity and pressure drop across the turbine. A manifold with equal length runners is nice. A manifold with shorter runners is better. You don't need an external wastegate at .7bar. The whole point of an external wastegate is to relieve exhaust manifold pressure quickly when dealing with large exhaust flows (which correlates to large engine flow). Since you're still up in the air about the Tial or the 1g DSM ask yourself this. Do you want a part that works and does it's job (1g DSM) or a nice piece that works the same but will pay off at much higher boost (Tial)? A downpipe and 3" exhaust won't do as much good unless the cat is also the same diameter. You don't need an A/F guage. Get Oil Temperature instead.

Get the AEM EMS. Intercooler should be bar and plate core. Biggest you can fit on your car. Inlet and outlet diameters should be the same. See if you can get the endtanks put on so air enters at the upper part of the endtank and leaves at the lower part of the other endtank. Get a Walbourgh 255lph pump, replace your fuel filter and run 450cc injectors (DSM's should be plug and play on your OBD 0 motor). An adjustable FPR 1:1 will help in initial startup tuneing.

Is this car supposed to be a daily driver or a track car? If it's a track car you should also consider first a C/F hood, taking out everything includeing your dash (guage cluster can be zip tied in). Removing the sound deadening getting FAL lexan windows, a lighter steering wheel, a aluminum frame race seat, 5 pt harness, delete (A/C, PS, heater core with dash) and some slipstreams with 555R's or a set of drag rims with slicks.

If fast is your goal just remember this. You have the lightest Honda out there....make it lighter. At 1850lbs with a USDM B16 (intake, slicks, open stock header) my friend was pulling 13.5 at 2000ft. You can probably make your car much lighter than that. If it's your daily driver then by all means disregard what I said but if it's going to be dedicated to going fast....strip her down.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Re: B16 Custom Kit <advice welcome> (lazer)

Wow thanks for all the advice.

I do want the turbo picked out because of power i have seen them putting out. I'll look into the wastegate. Ill also start off with the dsm bov and upgrade once the car becomes a track car. I do want it to become one just not right now gotta get my truck first

So guages oil temp, egt, and boost got it.

Now for the ems, i was told at a local shop when i lived in maryland that aem didnt make an ems for my car because it is obd-0. If they dont i was going to order a conversion kit from blown90hatch...then i should be able to run the ems right?? I know i also need the obd-1 dizzy.

Fuel pump fuel filter and dsm injectors...got it

Thanks again for replying and ill look into everything.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:09 PM

Anyone else?
Old 10-17-2003, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AirmanFunk)

ask around everybody is different.