Notices

b16 about to go turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 about to go turbo

Im going to be turboing my b16 within the next couple weeks. my goals for the build are pretty simple around 250-275 whp trying to stay as close to about 10psi as I can. The motor is all stock but is a strong healthy b16 (166whp with I/H/E). I also just recently installed a stage 2 clutch to handle the additional power. My question is what turbo and supporting items will get me to my goal? What size injectors and things like that? Also, what would the best tuning method be? I currently have an s100 which i know cant do boost. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: b16 about to go turbo

keep researching, some pretty simple questions in this post. at least you have a power goal.

s100 can add the boost feature http://www.hondata.com/s100.html

550cc injectors will work fine for that power goal, or dsm 450's if you wanna save some cash.

pretty much any turbo can handle that power level t28-gt42r, just depends on how you want the car to respond. most just grab a t3/t4 50 or 57 trim.

follow this thread, helped me install my first kit, covers everything you need https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/complete-how-turbocharge-your-honda-rep-ing-hypnotik-speed-1263795/
Old 03-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm cheap so i'd go dsm 450's, as for turbo i like the turbonetics t3/t4 hybrid, just give them a call and they will tell you the best turbo for what you want. this varies because of things like overall power(you mentioned) but also spool time which is key alot of turbos will will get you to 250-275 but it's how they get you there, also oil cooled water cooled or both is something to consider

good luck
Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also a 255lph fuel pump, fuel regulater and gauge
Old 03-09-2009, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cool. i didnt know the s100 could do boost so that will help me save some money. i do already have a 255 pump. i have been trying to do some preventive mods like clutch and whatnot before i actually do the boost so its taken care of. should i look into trying to piece together my own kit or try to get a kit all together?

Last edited by marecco; 03-09-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

piecing might save some money but also allows you to customize every piece of the kit.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just buy a good quality complete kit. Dont mess around with different brands, you will end up spending more time and money making everything work.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
Just buy a good quality complete kit. Dont mess around with different brands, you will end up spending more time and money making everything work.
You couldnt be more wrong. I would never buy a cookie-cutter turbo kit...i've pieced all of my setups together myself and SAVED a good amount of money in the process. Sure it might take a little longer, but if you know what you're doing, it's the only way to go. Also, if you dont know what you're doing, it's a great way to learn.

OP: Your engine should be good to about the 300whp range. That's generally the safe range for stock B series engines. As for the PSI factor you mentioned, that shouldnt be a concern unless you're trying to stay within the confines of the stock MAP sensor. If you are staying under the 11psi restriction of the OEM MAP, you should just upgrade to a GM 3bar now...
Old 03-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
You couldnt be more wrong. I would never buy a cookie-cutter turbo kit...i've pieced all of my setups together myself and SAVED a good amount of money in the process. Sure it might take a little longer, but if you know what you're doing, it's the only way to go. Also, if you dont know what you're doing, it's a great way to learn.
I should have been more specific. If you piece together a kit with parts that dont match up you spend more time messing around making it work. Most people dont have the fabrication skills or a welder to make it happen.

Will you spend more money buying a complete kit like an Inline Pro or Full Race? Most likely. Will you get better quality hacking up parts and making things go together? No. Will it take longer? Yes. Is it a good way for an inexperienced person to mess things up? Definitely.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, i'm not saying to literally build (weld together) your own setup. I just meant buying parts one at a time from various people rather than opting for a complete kit from Fullrace, Peakboost or the likes.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thats what i figured. i have been looking into slowly piecing together a nice kit. now you feel that i should upgrade the MAP now even if im going to be staying below the 11 psi stock limit? i mean i guess for the money it cant hurt to do it now.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i found a setup im considering and wondering what you guys thought and if i shouldnt have any problem hitting my goal. it is a pieced together kit with what im told around 1k miles on it. it consists of a Drag manifold, drag front mount with hard pipes, drag downpipe, hks bov, turbonetics t3/t4 .57 trim, turbonetics delegate 38mm wastegate, all oil lines. i know im going to need a few things to complete it but this is a start. let me know what you guys think. also, when its time to get the car tuned, is it save to drive to the tuning shop (about 30mins) with the stock injectors not hitting boost? thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally I would get injectors and just purchase a basemap from Xeno or Phearable just so you can get there without any issues depending on what you plan on running for tunning software. Turbonetics Deltagates from my experience love to creep boost as well as the drag manifold because the wastegate placement only reads pressure from the #1 cylinder and not all 4 like the Inline Pro mani. Depending on how much the guy is asking for a kit it's a decent place to start. 57 trim turbo will come close if not hit your goal of 250-275 whp.

As for the MAP Sensor I would buy one just incase. Once you get everythin going... I promise you, you will want to boost more... Boost is a drug....you can never get enough of it.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah ive seen the issue of boost creep from the manifold but didnt look into the wastegate too much yet. i figure i can always get another manifold down the road which is the plan. and the kit is a little over $1k. so for a starter just to get me going i feel it is a decent setup. and once i save up some more money i figure i can start replacing some things here and there and selling what i would already have. and yeah ive had boosted cars in the past this is just my first time boosting a honda. i know the addiction lol.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

now reading up a little more on the drag manifold with a deltagate im a little worried. can anymore tell me if its worth me getting the kit or should i just buy pieces individually? also, it seems in looking at posts about the drag with deltagate combo that certain boost levels and downpipe sizes eliminated creep and spiking. is this true or just a rare occurence? thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pump...