Notices

AVCR Problem. (boost not regulated)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVCR Problem. (boost not regulated) Please Help if you can!

hey guys, i just hooked up an Apexi AVCR boost controller in my car. i'm pretty sure that i have all the wiring correct. Everything on the display end seems to be working fine. Problem comes into play when set the boost controller to "off" it's sky rocketing my boost & not leaving it to the wastegate to manage.

same thing happens when it's on setting "a" or "b" which arn't even setup yet.

luckily i've got boost cut set in my map and it cut it at a safe place.

anyone have any suggestions.

i have my vacume lines hooked up as they are in the following diagram that i found on here by searching.

Modified by Running925 at 12:16 PM 4/25/2007
Old 04-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AVCR Problem. (Running925)

your diagram looks correct....i typically run the T from the nc side to a port on the turbo rather than the vaccume manifold.

you didnt buy this on ebay did you? ive had this same problem with 3 differnt units customers purchased on ebay.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVCR Problem. (Turbo-charged)

i did run it off of the turbo instead of the vacume manifold, as it appears to be a much cleaner install and i didn't have a long strech of vacume line hanging accross my bay.

as far as my purchase, it was new from a friend that had it sitting around for well over a year. I will not be able to return it.

what specificly do you think would be causing this problem?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for some help on this
Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i talked to apexi today. They said that when i have the setting set to "off" rather than "a" or "b", that the boost controller should remain off and boost would be regulated by the spring only. They didn't seem to have an answer for me other than to set the other setting to the boost amounts that i wanted and to try swaping ports on the boost solinoid.

They did define some things for me tho.
NO port = Normally Open
NC port = Normally Closed
COM port= always goes to top of wastegate.

Knowing that information, it would appear that i have it hooked up correctly because u would want the port normally closed when the controller is off so that the spring is the only thing seeing the boost pressuer and can do it's job based upon the spring rate. They have instructed me to try using the Normally Open port, which makes no since but i guess i'll have to try that. I'm starting to wonder if the brand new boost solinoid is dead.

Please, anyone with any info on this, please send it my direction.

Thanks

Tony
Old 05-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm still having problems with this..

When my AVCR is set to "off" it won't run at the wastegate's spring rate, it just keeps climbing..
Old 05-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this problem as well when I had the AVCR, I just never turned it off, I just set A for lowest boost possible, and B for high boost.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was having very simialr problems with my AVCR too as well.
Everything in the diagram do look correct. I just ran all the lines individually to a vaccum bar only, otherwise its the same. i'd never got to resolve the problem. The unit was just disconnected and now boosting on spring press. now.
I would like to know what u find???
Old 05-11-2007, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tchleung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tchleung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had this problem as well when I had the AVCR, I just never turned it off, I just set A for lowest boost possible, and B for high boost. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I could look over the settings again, but i believe i tested it on "A" and had it set to .85 which should be about 12psi and it just keeps on climbing past that.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVCR Problem. (boost not regulated) Please Help if you can! (Running925)

What is your setup? Mine did the same thing. But after trial and error I'm good now.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVCR Problem. (rocket256)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rocket256 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is your setup? Mine did the same thing. But after trial and error I'm good now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Com is going to the top port on the wastegate.
I have vac comming off of the turbo's compressor housing, it hit a T, one side goes to the NC port and the other goes to the lower wastegate port.

The AVCR Map sensor is connected to my vacume manifold.

What type of trial and error are you talking about.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm starting to wonder if my AVCR's map sensor is to far from the vacume block and not seeing all of the pressure that is actually at the manifold.

I'm gonna have to put it on moniter mode and nail the gas pedal to see what type of numbers it's actually seeing. coz if it's not seeing the boost numbers that the intake manifold is actually recieving then it would allow the thing to continue to spool......

now i can't wait to get outa work to test my theroy.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this same exact problem the other day on a customer's car. The solenoid would simply stay open. We even unplugged the solenoid and with the line ran to the top port of the wastegate it would overshoot big time. If there is no pressure getting through the solenoid to the top port then how is it equalizing the pressure and causing the wastegate not to open when it should . As soon as the top port is unplugged the car would run right off the spring.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Running925 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm starting to wonder if my AVCR's map sensor is to far from the vacume block and not seeing all of the pressure that is actually at the manifold.

I'm gonna have to put it on moniter mode and nail the gas pedal to see what type of numbers it's actually seeing. coz if it's not seeing the boost numbers that the intake manifold is actually recieving then it would allow the thing to continue to spool......

now i can't wait to get outa work to test my theroy.</TD></TR></TABLE>
when you have the boost controller on the "off" setting then it should not overshoot the boost. The solenoid should be off altogether and not opening so your pressure sensor on the avcr shouldn't be effecting anything with this.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVCR Problem. (SOHC_MShue)

so once you disconnected the line running from "com" to the top port of the wastegate, it all started working correctly? or just when u had it turned off?
Old 05-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when the line was disconnected
Old 05-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when the line was disconnected</TD></TR></TABLE>

i just got done testing this and it just runs off the spring rate, regardless of my settings...

please people, more suggestions.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Running925 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i just got done testing this and it just runs off the spring rate, regardless of my settings...

please people, more suggestions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I spent tonight at the drags playing with the AVCR on my car.I've been hitting the boost cut in every gear.I lowered the duty cycle and it took care of the overboost in every gear but fourth.I have it set at .80 boost and 35% duty cycle.But I still hit 1.27 about thirty feet short of the 1/4.At least I don't freak any more when I hit the boost cut.I got the car a little more under control accept I also slowed the car by about eight tenths.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVCR Problem. (NJIN BUILDR)

i wish my situation was as simple as yours.

I even tried turning it down to 0.20bar and 20% duty cycle.. it still sky rockets up to boost cut..

i'm really getting sick of this thing. I just want it to work right. I talked to the apexi guy again tongiht & he had me connect my solinoid up to a 12v power source and ground to find out if it clicked when doing so, and it did. He told me that my solinoid is fine.

i'm running out of options and places to turn. I read every one of the almost 300 threads i could find on HT about this and nothing has solved my mystry.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man it just sounds like you have a bad solenoid. Try to see if you can borrow one from somebody.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wish i actually knew somebody else local that had one!
Old 05-12-2007, 05:12 AM

I dont know if this will help you but did you wire up the harness itself up right the one that is spliced into the ecu wires (7 or 8 wires). I couldn't get anything to work right when I had the wires wrong..
Old 05-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rico)

not to beat a dead horse, but when you just have a line running to the bottom of the gate with the top port open, it does only run at gate spring correct? Just making sure you don't have a creeping manifold or anything.

another possibility, what size vacuum lines are you running? you aren't just running the little 1/8th lines or anything are you?

How long are your lines between all of these areas?

For your map sensor, is it a dedicated line or are you T'ing off your 3bar map sensor line? for my personal car, I T'd off the map sensor line, to ensure they were both the same. stupid question, but you don't have a clogged filter going to the map sensor do you, so its not letting it see boost properly?

i'd turn avcr off, then unplug the selenoid and see how the car responds, then ensure you have appropriate wiring regarding the grounds for the avcr, then look at the size of the vacuum lines to ensure they are big enough.

you could be using too big of a line as well, so it not holding on one of the barb fittings and the boost is leaking out past it.

EDIT: look back at your diagram, I'd try running an independent line to the wastegate and an independent line to the selenoid. your vacuum manifold may not be able to support that much volume to support the two items off one line.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVCR Problem. (boost not regulated) Please Help if you can! (Running925)

Give me the spec's on your turbo and dp setup
Old 05-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVCR Problem. (Blown90hatcH)

have you tried running the car with out the boost controller connected to the wastegate.

That should allow the car to run on spring pressure. If everything functions fine without the boost controller hooked up then you have narrowed it down to at least a problem in the controller.

Are you sure that you have all the functions in the controller setup properly as in 4 cylinder, well I can't remember the rest but there are a few settings that you need to setup prior to using the contorller.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rico)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rico &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont know if this will help you but did you wire up the harness itself up right the one that is spliced into the ecu wires (7 or 8 wires). I couldn't get anything to work right when I had the wires wrong.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe i have all of those connected properly, but could you be more specific as to which wires your problem was dealing with.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fitti &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you tried running the car with out the boost controller connected to the wastegate.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

this was already covered earlier in the thread, but yes i'm currently running it just off my wastegate spring for fear of over boosting my motor, coz i hit about 28psi on the street on accident the other day.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Give me the spec's on your turbo and dp setup</TD></TR></TABLE>

B18a (Forged, 9.3:1)
TopMount Manifold, build by me with wastegate sticking right out of the collector
DP is 3inch mandrel bent.
Turbo - Garrett t3/t4 .60/.63

I dont' have any flow problems what so ever. This is most definatly a boost controller problem.

Heres a pic for referance.

Modified by Running925 at 9:55 PM 5/12/2007

Quick Reply: AVCR Problem. (boost not regulated)